The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Polishing! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
http://web.mac.com/iainh/iWeb/Site/magic.html

This is a bit old, but I thought I'd post it for your comments... be gentle! Ha!
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Nice handeling... It looks as though you do have both routines down...

I would suggest working on your shuttle and flying shuttle... In the coins thru tabel. At times your hands appaer a bit cramped after passing the coin...

In the three fry effect... Your passing hand seems to fidgit after passing the coins tp the next hand... I would try to find justification for those movements... or cover them in some manner...

Overall very nice.. Like you said just needs to be polished.
Shawn.
Shawn.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Thanks for the input Shawn... I'm painfully aware of the shortcomings, but it's great to have objective feedback. And yes, that passing hand! I usually spit in the specs faces to cover all that ... LOL , but seriously, I'm working on that believe me!

All the best to you, thanks for taking the time to comment... I really appreciate it. Happy New Year to you, too!
Gary Yin
View Profile
Elite user
Sabah, Malaysia
449 Posts

Profile of Gary Yin
I feel it's too rough or because of the music? Shuttle pass look like overconvincing and rough. Slow down abit. Let the coin toss motion register to the audience. that's for me.
yrag89@hotmail.com (msn msgr)

Gary Justin Yin.
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
Hi rutabaga,I would agree with ShaunB " I would suggest working on your shuttle and flying shuttle... In the coins thru table. At times your hands appear a bit cramped after passing the coin" ...

I seemed to have this same problem when using dollar size coins...

I have gone back to using half dollars instead and my hands look a lot more natural now and the halfs work like a dream after practicing so long with dollars...seems halfs are my preferred hand size ,took me a long time going back and forth to figure this out...If you prefer the dollar size for visibility then just keep going ,i would not do the flying shuttle to many times it's like you are trying to hard to convince .

I like the reproduction of the coin going back up through the table the timing of the catch to the finger tips was just right..

All the best

Blade.
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Quote:
On 2008-01-01 01:50, rutabaga wrote:
Thanks for the input Shawn... I'm painfully aware of the shortcomings, but it's great to have objective feedback. And yes, that passing hand! I usually spit in the specs faces to cover all that ... LOL , but seriously, I'm working on that believe me!

All the best to you, thanks for taking the time to comment... I really appreciate it. Happy New Year to you, too!

Happy new year to you as well Rutabaga!!! Hope you had a good night....
Shawn.

Shawn.
Shawn.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I hate to pile on Rutabaga, but I pretty much agree with the above. However, I think "those problems" were minimal problems at best. I think both routines would look a whole lot better if you slowed the pace down, which I also think would help be a cure for most of the other above mentioned "minor" problems. All in all, I thought it looked as though they have great potential given there is more time for the spectators to digest everything that is going on.

I think if you worked with some patter installed into the routines it would help you to slow down the pace. Don't get me wrong it isn't too, too fast, but fast enough as though you are rushing through, because you have another engagement to meet.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I PMed you Iain!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Ha! Thanks everyone! I did rush through it all a bit, being too mindful of the file size and that tech stuff... no excuse I know. Also, I do use some patter normally. I really should refilm this complete at normal speed. Hopefully I've ironed out some of those "crampy" moments!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Tried to take a look but having a problem with QuickTime...Is there a Windows media version?
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I just want to add one more thing here. My comments and I believe the rest of the comments are on a very technical plane. I feel any normal spectator would have enjoyed the routines for what they are with no real problem. You can tell you have already done a lot of hard work and put together some really nice routines. We are just trying to point out a few weak spots to make the routines even better.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Hi Ray,

Thanks, I've taken it all that way. Every comment is very useful to me, and only helps me improve. I've actually changed a fair bit of how I present those effects. mainly involving eye contact with the spectators [of which there was none in the video!]... currently working on improving the shuttle....
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks rutabaga,

Not bad. A little fast and furious but it's clear to see that you're on the right tracks. I think slow it down it a little, keep perfecting the use of those sleights you're using and you'll reach your destination for sure. Smile I love that pop-up move by Sankey and you did it pretty well. Keep working and stay steady....It's coming! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Gary Yin
View Profile
Elite user
Sabah, Malaysia
449 Posts

Profile of Gary Yin
Btw, the flying shuttle doesn't need to be close to the receiving hand. Angle it a 45 degree upward motion towards the receiving hand but not that close to show the coin toss.
yrag89@hotmail.com (msn msgr)

Gary Justin Yin.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Overall I thought the technical handling was pretty good. If I were directing you I would make these comments:

Following the first penetration you fail to adequately show that the coin had passed through the table - never never rush the display of a climax.

When you CP the coin for the second penetration I would personally be inclined to knock on the surface with my knuckles, commenting on the solid nature of the table - rather than rely on large movements of that hand to hide the smaller movement of executing the CP.

Also, I would reduce the excessive passing (and/or shuttling) back and forth between the hands to an absolute minimum; Show the coin in one hand then put in the other, and at that point they get it: only one coin. As you've shown it here, I think it would be confusing and a bit tiresome for the spectator to try follow the [apparently] single coin around so much before (and between) actual "magic".

Remember that, even though successful execution of a particularly deceptive move is fun, overdoing it ["over-proving"] is usually not entertaining, and will actually make your audience become suspicious. Consider how you might react to a magician who said: "I'm only using ONE coin. See? Just the ONE coin... that's all. No extra coins or anything like that, just the ONE coin you see right here". All the excessive shuttle work is actually just a non-verbal expression of the same over-the-top "proof".

RE: Three Fry - on the last coin, I think I would like a slower reveal. Try turning the right hand palm down (with the coin pinned at the base of the fingers by your thumb) and milking the coin "out of thin air" as it appears at the outstretched fingertips of your palm-down hand.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Thanks everybody.

TW, thanks. All that shuttling around was really for MY benefit to check for needed corrections etc. - I would never pass the coin around that much for a spectator. Interesting suggestion re the knocking on the table, I'll definitely check it out. And yes, sorry about all the rushing!
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Rutabaga,
I have the same things to say as everyone else, but I'll try throw in additional things as well. The shuttle passes technically were alright, but were lightning fast. Film yourself moving a coin back and forth, then film the shuttle passes. See how different they are? You haven't started anything so you can talk and casually move it back and forth. Then I also agree that for the first penetration you just kept going like nothing happened, go ahead and sell it. While you're at it why not show the left hand empty by brushing the top of the table with the back of your hand (you'll see why in a minute), Then bringing the coin out as a reveal. Then when you do the next one, pass it through the table (I would use the rapping of the knuckles on the table to CP the coin as previously suggested) and then use the same brushing to show the hand empty using the Kaps subtley (or whoever it's named after this week). Because just CP'ing the coin and leaving your hand in birdcage formation as David Williamson calls it is asking for attention. a good routine, could be great.

As for three fry. I don't believe that was three fry, three fry has a copper ending to it. That's what makes three fry a killer routine, because people might be able to follow the vanishes, but they can't comprehend the copper coins at the end. I think you went more for long gone silver, but you didn't use a wand. I think it's a great routine with a wand because the wand gives justification for tossing of coins back and forth and for a unnatural hand position while holding out 2-3 big silvers. Try using a wand or a sharpie or something with that routine and it'd clean it up a whole lot.

All in all it's great work, now it's down to the fine polishing. The big problem is a lot of people stop where you are. Please don't be like them. Strive to be better every time, not just get by.

Pete

And do me a favor, next time you film effects, try and film YOU, not just your hands. Sure it might make it harder to see, but it gives us a better idea of how you're performing it. My videos are hard to see the coins, but it's they way I wanted them filmed (minus the backlight) so I could see my movements as others would see them, not just my hands. PM me with any questions.
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Great points, Pete. Re the "close up" filming... it was really just intended as a review for myself to check handling etc. Next time I'll cut out the fancy music [added as an attempt to cover me muttering to myself!] and film a properly presented routine.

BTW, the second routine was taken from the T11 1-on-1 download "Three Fry" [I bought it to have a look at CK in action]... I realise it is different from the routine in TOOC.
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
You have a good start, I'm not a big fan of the flying shuttle but do do it once in awhile. I feel you are missing that floating feel of the coin going into the other hand one way to fix that is instead of just turning your hand palm up do that but also drop your hand a little, does'nt have to be much just alittle drop ...you'll be amazed on just doing that how much better it will look. The coin will look like you threw it from one hand to the other.
I just want to say that I feel that the flying shuttle is'nt a natural way of putting a coin in one hand to the other, that's why I stay away from it for the most part. Thanks for listening just wanted to get that off my chest....lol
Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the second link could'nt view it before.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Polishing! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL