The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How To Handle Requests To See A Magic Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Angio333
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Angio333
What is the best way to handle requests to see a specific magic trick when you don't have the gimmick or time to set up? For example, you do a trick for someone (STS, Third Degree Burn, etc) and they are blown away.

Sometime later you are with that person and one of their friends. They ask you to show the new person a specific trick.

I know you could try to do other impromptu tricks, but they really want you to show the new person the requested trick.

Thanks.
- C
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Obviously you can't.

One solution I came up with is to not make your gimmicked magic look too easy.
Struggle a bit, mention that this type of magic is very difficult to do. After all, you're not Copperfield. Maybe fail and then try again only to succeed. This especially applies to impromptu situations.

When you are asked to do the same effect later you pretty much say the same thing.
This reminds the first person who saw the effect how hard it was to do.

Now, go through the same motions you would if you were prepared.
Try a couple of times and fail.

Now do something impromptu that you can.

This is what I do when asked to float something at an awkward time.
Hope it helps.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Only do tricks that can be repeated. There are some effects that appear to the casual observer to be the same trick. All ace assemblies look alike. Ring routines tend to look alike. Card to impossible location (even with different locations) seem to blur.

With gimmicked tricks you can sometimes carry multiple gimmicks. As an example you can have multiple hot rods.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3169 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-12-31 18:08, Jaz wrote:
Obviously you can't......
.....Now do something impromptu that you can.

Yep, you gotta learn a few impromptu effects, it's that simple.

Impromptu effects usually have the added bonus of not costing as much as the Name-Brand-Magic-Tricks that you mentioned.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I always carry a few items with me to do. I'll say something like, "I'd love to show you that one, but here's something a little different."

I will also say straight out that I don't repeat tricks twice in the same day...week...month...etc.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Jaz's thinking on this is virtually identical to my own, and I can recommend it. Simply because you did an effect once does not mean you 'can' do it again. If caught in this situation I say something like, "I would love to do that piece of magic for you and Bob, but frankly I can only do it with sufficient mental preparation, and I'm just not up to it right now. Let's try this....."
And, I go into something that I can do. This has never failed me, and for good reason: The non magician may 'suspect' that what you say isn't in fact quite true, but that doesn't matter. How do they argue against it? Any argument they would have would have to assume that they know what you can do better than you do! Such arguments are easily deflected, and you can move on to whatever you can do at that moment.

This works because of what I call Brad's Rule of the Unknown. This rule says that your audience, whether one or many, WILL accept virtually ANY explanation that you give them if it makes even the tiniest bit of sense within the context of doing 'magic', which is by definition irrational.

Best
Brad Burt
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3169 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Yep, Brad's right. Whenever I get, "Oh, do that again," I just selectively hear what I want to hear and I say, "Oh, you liked that? OK, let me show you something else!"

They don't necessarily want to see the same trick again. They will settle for merely seeing another trick.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
199 Posts

Profile of R.S.
I usually just lie down and curl up into a ball. Eventually, they will go away.
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
JardiniMagic
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale
72 Posts

Profile of JardiniMagic
When asked the question, I most of the time agree with the above mentioned. I just come up with something different and lead away from the effect asked for. Maybe later on, if the same audience is not there, I may do the requested effect and, most times, the ones requesting don't even realize I am doing the effect.
The Magical World of Jardini
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
So far that has only happened to me once, just the other day. Being inexperienced, I had a complete mental block and then made up an excuse to go into another room where I had an identically-looking preset deck. That was a mistake. I do after all have an out, which is a short series of pulse reading effects that can be used as variations on my memdeck mind reading effects.

I think doing something different that demonstrates a similar ability is a good way to go. Something new that runs along the same theme. It's new and unexpected to the ones who saw the last one, and it may ruin their potential theories as to how the earlier one you did was done. It also gives the impression that this is not just a formula you repeat blindly each time. It looks like you can do it whichever way you want. Maybe you will give the impression that you don't even remember the way you did it the last time because it was just improvisation.

There is another popular way out as well, which is the deck switch. I'm usually set up for that, but this time I was not.

Of course, I'm lucky in that I don't do anything that cannot be done with one out of two different preset decks.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
vpatanio
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of vpatanio
The input everyone is giving is extremely helpful to me, as I frequently run into this situation. What I was doing about a year ago was just decline the performance and say, "Maybe later." I hated having to say this because I love performing magic and my inexperience was my worst enemy. Over the past year or so, I have improved greatly. LOTS of practice, reading, using mirrors and cameras, and of course utilizing the great knowledge of the Café members.

I now try to be prepared with other effects to use as alternates (I always keep a TT or 2 in my pockets, some sponge balls, and an ungimmicked deck) just in case I cannot perform a requested effect that requires setup or props that I don't have with me. I have also been trying to obtain more impromptu material, but this is still an item that has not (and probably never will be) marked off of my magic to do list.

-Vinny
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1150 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I used to have this problem as well; how to respond to random requests to "do a trick." So, eventually I committed myself to learning a good repertoire of impromptu and sleight of hand routines with ordinary stuff. Then, if I am out and don't want to worry about carrying stuff with me, I am ready to go at any time. If I can borrow some coins, cards, bills, pen and paper, finger ring, rubber bands or whatever, then I'm ready to go.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
This may sound like it would not work, but it does and very well.

Respond by saying, "Magicians cannot do magic on request. Remember, what we do is magic. Therefore, many things have to be present before we can use our magic. It may not be the right time of the day, week, month, year, or the planets many not be aligned correctly. Many of you think all of our effects are done with smoke and mirrors...you are wrong, it is real magic. Here, I will show you what I mean," and continue with something you are prepared to do. You do this with tongue in cheek, and it works.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
You know you were being set up, right? The first person who saw you perform it merely wanted a repeat showing. This would give them a chance to figure out your method. You are lucky that you weren't prepared to do it again. I usually say, "Sorry, I don't do requests. I'm a magician, not a musician." Then pull out a deck of cards (or anything else that you have) and say, "If you want, I could show you something else that you might like." Lead, don't be led.
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
I would say with a straight face: "I sold the rights to that illusion to David Blaine, and I am contractually restrained from performing it any longer, sorry."
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
Quote:
On 2008-01-01 17:15, R.S. wrote:
I usually just lie down and curl up into a ball. Eventually, they will go away.

HAHA... I got a good laugh out of this one.

Zach
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Whenever someone asks me to do a magic trick, it is always sort of a small shock to me. I kind of panic a little. It's a complete surprise each time, and my brain starts racing and racing while I stutter...well...

Hopefully, this will get better with time. Anyway, for a while I had a short list of magic trick names in my back pocket, because when I am ambushed like that I cannot think. I don't remember what I do know that could fit.

I will write a new panic list with a few easy but good effects that can be used with borrowed decks and whatnot. Anytime, anywhere.

I think it is a mistake to refuse to do something unless you feel that the situation is a really bad one. I have said no more times than yes, and afterwards I always regret it. I hardly ever get the chance to be brilliant, so why waste the few chances I have?
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
Austin113
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
67 Posts

Profile of Austin113
I think it's illogical to ALWAYS have something on you to perform. There are always those moments when you just run out of the house with your wallet, keys, and cell phone. The best thing I could suggest is to learn a handful of impromptu effects with common, ordinary objects. Rubberbands, pens, money, etc. There are some really strong impromptu effects out there. Occasionally, you may have to borrow something from the person asking to see some magic, which could make the effect seem even more amazing.
The method is not the secret.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3169 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-01-09 15:12, Austin113 wrote:
I think it's illogical to ALWAYS have something on you to perform....

I may be taking this quote out of context, however...

In their book "How to Play in Traffic", Penn & Teller discuss the danger of being a "performer out of habit" - they call it being a "Parrot Guy". A good read, y'all should check it out!
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Rubber bands and pens and whatnot is a good idea. I agree that it is natural to not always carry cards, for instance.

My only non-card material is with coins, but I have now become so accustomed to using old silver half dollars that I suppose they have the same prepared impact as carrying cards. Maybe I need to work a little more with local coins.

Can you explain the Parrot Guy reference a little more, please?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How To Handle Requests To See A Magic Trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL