The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Need Help to Find the Vent Voice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Mesmer, you'll find it interesting to see (and hear) the great Paul Winchell in his instructional video on vent. In that video (he made when he was old already) his voice and that of his figure Jerry Mahoney WERE THE SAME VOICE! But the difference was the VOICE CHARACTER of Jerry. Same voice quality, but the manner how Jerry speaks was very different. (And look how he manipulates Jerry!!! Very masterful.)

I hope you've seen that video already. If not yet, you may want to look for it.

Jay Marshall also said his voice and that of his glove figure Lefty were the same.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
...but for us newbies, it may still be best to have a different voice for our figure/s...unless we become a Dr Paul Wichell or a Jay Marshall in the future Smile

The manipulation is very important...but it does not stop there. The material is as important...the routine...the timimg...the sound equiptment...blocking...the audience...etc etc,leave one thing for granted and you have a chance to ruin the act.

Wanlu
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
This is what we called voice illusion.
Ears can't give the direction where the voice/sound is come from, but eyes can. Especially if the voice came from some distant.

Perfect lips synchronization with figure voice, plus vent still lips, can make this illusion believable. And this will be better, if the voice is different for both of you. So even though the audience don't look at you, they know who is talking.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Great Tips Gentlemen

and Budi,congratulations of 2nd Place in the Magic Competition....I just spoke to Deddy few days ago.....let me know when you are in Jakarta
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Thank you very much Mesmer! I will let you know, when I go to Jakarta.

Several people in Indonesia are starting to learn ventriloquism now.
Hopefully this art will become more recognized in our country!
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Me and mindgames is not count as several people....it is only TWO people....I don't know if many more people in Bandung is start learning Ventriloquist
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Here is an exercise to do when alone. (it drives my wife crazy if she is in the room or car)

Every 20 seconds change the channel on your t.v. or radio..

Imitate the nature of the voice...feminine, southern, old, young..irish, german..

what ever comes on the station.. You won't get an imitation of say John Wayne but you will be training your ear and voice for different characters...it can also be used for sounds like birds, dogs, ....

Have fun...

character, voice, animation, dialog and improvisation add up to a great interaction and sharing with your audiences...

Sometimes going for a contrast of voice and character can work...
deep voice for a young puppet or audience volunteer and vice versa..

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Wow!...another great Tips...Thanks Harris

and keep em coming Gentlemens
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Quote:
On 2008-02-06 06:25, mesmer wrote:
Me and mindgames is not count as several people....it is only TWO people....I don't know if many more people in Bandung is start learning Ventriloquist

Yes, I know some others who started to learn ventriloquism. One of them is about 55 years old.
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
WOW...where did he find 55 Years old Vent Dummy like that?

is it from Tim Selberg?

or from Axtell?
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Here's how I found my 'voice'.Whenever ur free... and alone... when ur walkin in the streets or at home alone...throw your voice.Practice your lip movement and pronounciation...slowly, try various voices and eventually somethin will stick to you.
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Quote:
On 2008-02-08 11:08, mesmer wrote:
WOW...where did he find 55 Years old Vent Dummy like that?

is it from Tim Selberg?

or from Axtell?

Well, he is a real man. Smile
He like to learn anythings unusual, especially in entertaiment field.

If you like old man figure, there are several figure maker who make it.
Axtell have storyteller figure, Hartz made several (including mine), also Tim Selberg, Tim Cowles (Dummyworks), Clinton Detweiler, Dan Payes and so on.

I also have converted a boy figure, just add mustache and eyeglass. Violla a midle age figure! Smile
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
I did practice while Im in the shower....or when Im in a Car....it takes time for my Driver to get comfortable with hearing a Squeaky high pitch voice that coming from the back seat ( me! )

I guess it's all comes down to the Real World Performance of using this Voice and combine it with your Dummy.....

mine is on its way....."The Man Eating Plants"....I can only say....Im so excited learning to become Ventriloquist

:punkrocker:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Need Help to Find the Vent Voice (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL