The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Paul Fox Load Size (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
Hey guys,

I recently got a set of Paul Fox cups (type 2), and the load size is supposedly a lacrosse ball. I have read this on the Café and on the Cups and Balls Museum. I tried putting my lacrosse balls into the cups and they are too big to fit inside. Are my lacrosse balls abnormally big? Anyway, these are beautiful cups and they handle very well.
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Congrats on the purchase Matt. Take the cups to a sports store and find a set of balls that will fit. sometimes there is a pretty big variance in lacrosse ball sizes as well as small variances in PF cups.

Also...hopefully you are confident in the person you bought your cups from. Wouldn't want to discover you got a set of MM cups!

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
Lacrosse balls vary in size by a 1/4 (5in - 5 1/4 inch) inch per their regulation measurements.... I find lacrosse balls too heavy to load anyways compared to racquet balls, bouncy balls, etc....

I never tried larosse balls until about a year ago when I saw some posts on the Café.... Ny 4.5 year old daughter has convinced me they are weapons in the right hands.... I usually use billiard balls so these have always stayed away from her, but with lacrosse balls, my life did pass before my eyes when she threw a lacrsosse ball at me......

James
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Matt,
it could be the balls, but if they are Paul Fox cups they should fit. Where did you get the Paul Fox cups from? There are a lot of Magic Maker cups out there that were retooled to match my spin our spin of the Paul Fox cup, most don't take a lacrosse ball. As Bill Palmer has said in the past, when buying Paul Fox cups that are advertised as such you should know the person and or ask some that know. These sound like Magic Makers.

Jake

Posted: Jan 1, 2008 4:55pm
Just found out Matt where you got them from, they're indeed PF cups, it must be a size issue with your LaCrosse balls. The word "Regulation" isn't Regulated

There was one fella that was taking Magic Maker cups and laquering them and calling them Vintage RNT Paul Fox Cups.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
Oh I'm sure that these cups are real.

Anyway, James is right--lacrosse balls are very heavy. Also the balls stick to the inside of cups. I currently load from my lap but I think I will try to load from my pockets when I use my PF cups so I think I need to go with a lighter load.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
It can be such a drag having big balls! Smile
I bought a package of 3 lacrosse ball a month or 2 ago and they varied in size as James mentions.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I won't go in to the lengthy message were Ken Brooke proved to Ricky Jay it isn't the size of the load but the CHANGE that is important. Use loads that are easy to handle and don't try for the biggest you can squeeze in.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't know where the measurment of 5 inches comes from. That's totally wrong. It's not the diameter and it's not the circumference.

The ball is 7.75 inches to 8 inches in circumference. It weighs from 5 to 5.25 ounces.

A tennis ball is just a tiny bit more than 8 inches in circumference.

Congratulations on your first set of Paul Fox cups!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2008-01-01 21:09, Pete Biro wrote:
I won't go in to the lengthy message were Ken Brooke proved to Ricky Jay it isn't the size of the load but the CHANGE that is important. Use loads that are easy to handle and don't try for the biggest you can squeeze in.

Pete is sure right about size. When I do some close-up Cups and Balls, the last of my four final loads is a mini cup full of rubber roaches. I have a woman (or child) lift the last cup and the critters come spilling (and bouncing) out on the table. They talk about it for an hour.

Other than that, Jake (or his better half) made me final load balls that are wonderful and are all but slip proof in your hands.

Bob
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
Quote:
On 2008-01-01 21:24, Bill Palmer wrote:
I don't know where the measurment of 5 inches comes from. That's totally wrong. It's not the diameter and it's not the circumference.

The ball is 7.75 inches to 8 inches in circumference. It weighs from 5 to 5.25 ounces.

A tennis ball is just a tiny bit more than 8 inches in circumference.

Congratulations on your first set of Paul Fox cups!

You are right... the 5 was sticking in my mind from another thread (http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=239543&forum=115 ) where I was posting about their weight being 5 to 5.25 ounces. I just remember them varying in size as you more accurately articulated.. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Lacrosse ball size problem has always been there. The best thing to do is to take one of your Paul Fox cups to a sporting goods store that has individual lacrosse balls and hand fit the balls to the cups. There is no rule of thumb as to what brand is going to be the best. Most of them come from China now, anyway.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
Quote:

Pete, I will probably take your advice on this one if I load from my pockets. Does anyone know if Ammar's fab fruit fits inside of Paul Fox cups? What about a 7.5" baseball?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes, somebody knows if Ammar's fab fruit fits inside of Paul Fox cups.

And somebody knows if Paul Fox cups will take a 7.5" baseball.

Enough silliness. Yes, Ammar's fab fruit will fit. Both generations should, actually. And the Paul Fox cups will easily take a 7.5" baseball.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
Thanks for the information. I will look into getting some proper loads.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you can get first generation fab fruit, it is a bit larger than the new fab fruit, but it will still fit.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:

If you had mentioned that story again, I would have had to post what I wrote here in 2003:

Quote:
I have to disagree with you on this point. The idea is not to produce final loads that are congruent in size - the idea is to produce a series of climaxes that tops the earlier climax. Thus the audience are shocked when you reveal a bunch of lemons (after doing a series of passes with the small balls) and blown away when you reveal a huge melon. The melon has to top the lemons. It's the old dramatic idea of build, build, build...

This reminds me of the story Pete Biro tells of Ken Brooke arguing with Ricky Jay over whether it's the size of the final load that mattered or merely the change. Brooke takes Biro and Jay to a pub and does the cups and balls with some very small limes as final loads and the audience are blown away. Brooke says to Jay, "See: it's the change".

I agree that it is the change that creates the shock value. But any analysis must conclude that an audience are going to be more impressed if you produce larger incongruous objects rather than slightly larger objects. In the case of the latter it's only a small leap for the audience to say, well they weren't that much bigger and he is fast with his hands (or whatever) so he must have just slipped them in. But with HUGE lemons or grapefruits, while the audience MUST always conclude that you are skillful - they will be struck by the immense difficulty in sneaking a huge, brightly coloured object under a cup they believe they have been watching intensely. Laymen appreciate conditions - so why not maximise the impact by producing objects that they know intellectually must be difficult to sneak past a wary audience?

The problem with Brooke's 'proof' is that it can't be tested against the same audience. You can't say, "okay now - that was the small limes. Now I'm going to do the trick again with lemons!" It would also be difficult to do a controlled survey of audiences. How do you measure amazement? Not applause. Some people will applaud - but some people will gasp and others will become stony silent when their brains go into freefall. I think, though, that if you were to overhear two lay audiences discussing shows that occurred simultaneously, and one member described the cups and balls and to show how amazing it was pulled a lime out of his pocket (a souvenir) and said, "Then he produced three of these from under the cup!" - I think that a member of the other audience would say, "That's nothing - the guy we saw produced six grapefruits fom under his cup and then had a melon under his hat."

In the end, magic isn't sports. But I think it pays to really consider the way a lay audience interprets an effect...

As an aside: Happy New Year, Pete!

Andrew
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of the most important things to consider with the final loads is whether the audience can see them. If they can't see them, it doesn't matter if they are baseballs, avocados or rutabagas.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2008-01-01 18:26, MickeyPainless wrote:
It can be such a drag having big balls! Smile

With this crowd, I can't believe it took 6 posts for someone to say that! Don't tell me you guys are trying to act like adults for your resolution.

I can totally see both points on the size/surprise issue of final loads. If anyone cares, here are my thoughts. I use 4 loads. The 4th load is very delayed and they think the trick is over before I reveal it. I like to have either 3 noncongruent, and 1 congruent, or the exact opposite. Normally, it's 3 limes and one large ball, that matches the small balls I used. Years ago, I had played around with using the Charlie Miller move, to reveal a larger version of the same ball underneath, but have yet to find a practical application for this. It may be more practical for a chopcup final load. I seriously doubt if I'm the firs to experiment with this, I'd love to hear what the experts have to say.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Two questions :

1. In your experience, which final loads usually seem to get the better audience reaction, (real) fruit or balls?

2. Have you noticed much of a difference in audience reaction, depending on whether the final loads turn out to be fake fruit or real fruit?

Fortasse
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2008-01-02 09:06, fortasse wrote:
Two questions :

1. In your experience, which final loads usually seem to get the better audience reaction, (real) fruit or balls?

2. Have you noticed much of a difference in audience reaction, depending on whether the final loads turn out to be fake fruit or real fruit?

Fortasse

Overall, I think fruit has more of a surprise element. Lemons are the best for regular cups. Tennis balls are a very practical alternative to lemons - they're big and bright and easy to load.

Part 2 depends on whether you allow them to handle the fruit. If you're performing close-up, I find that real fruit gets a much better reaction than any sort of fake fruit.

I don't like using vegetables. Potatoes and turnips (often a component of fab fruit sets) might be incongruous and provide the surprise of 'change', but they're nowhere near as visible as citrus fruit.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Paul Fox Load Size (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL