The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Color Changing Hankies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
684 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Here's an original routine I put together, in which three silk hankies change color in a magical and funny manner. Click here

Rick Mearns
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Very nice routine Rick.

why does a red white Ribbon appear and not a r/w Silk?

would it be possible that the colored silk is used for the next color change? instead of taking up a new silk.

again I liked the routine very much thanks for showing it.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Hey Rick. Funny routine. I really enjopyed it. What I also liked was a few things I saw that some magicians take for granted. 1) you are dressed in a comcical manner that is fun for the children but also professional. 2) Your props and case and setting are very professional but do not overpower the stage and 3) you are not afraid to act silly or a bit goofy as a part of your character to add to the enjoyment value for the children. Good stuff my friend.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Good one Rick
That is my kind of trick. Can you PM a slow witted magician, and tell me how to do it, or who sells it. I am a minimilist magician and that trick is both entertaining, and will fit in my brief case.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
yeahidomagic
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of yeahidomagic
Rick what a great video! Loved the routine and better yet the comedy was great as well!
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
That's a very neat little routine. I like it.

I would have to disagree with Robert as I think the ribbon silk at the end works well. The difference in shape adds a nice visual twist.

I love your comedy santa hat. I want one.

Thanks for sharing,

George
AshleyW
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of AshleyW
Nice routine, btw are you wearing a mic up there?
If so, it is very invisible.
If not, that was a good room because your voice was so clear.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Loved the ending, excellent.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Tony Chris
View Profile
V.I.P.
Vancouver, Canada
716 Posts

Profile of Tony Chris
I really like this effect. It plays very big and is colorful. I like your interaction with the kids and the final silk production is quite theme appropriate for the holiday season. Well done.

Zany Zack
As magicians we create what onlookers call magic. If they truly believe in what we have created for them to witness then magic is real!!!

- TONY CHRIS, A.K.A. Zany Zack

http://www.tonychris.com
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
684 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Wow, thanks for all the kind remarks everyone. I didn't realize this would get such a positive response.

I originally had a different ending with this routine, with a mouth coil finale. I could've combined another colored silk & paper combo, but I wanted to give the third silk (in this case, a multi-colored streamer) an outcome with a twist.

I only recently added the candy cane/ribbon silk ending, for this year's Xmas shows. Robert - I originally thought of using a 'candy cane' striped silk, but couldn't find one anywhere and now I actually prefer using the ribbon silk, for the reasons George mentioned.

Here is my original routine using the mouth coil finale. Click here

AshleyW - I'm actually wearing 2 different mics, both wireless lavalieres - one to the sound system & one to the video camera. I have all the cords hidden under my shirt.

Rick Mearns
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Nicely done Rick,
I liked your fast moving, colorful, kid comedy routine.
PM'd you
Max
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Thanks rick, seeing the former version and this newer version my vote is for the ribbon.
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
684 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Thanks Robert. I also prefer the newer version.

Question for everyone - As I'd like to continue using the ribbon version, I'm trying to think a different funny object I can mistakenly grab for the "second magic wand"? (like the candy cane). OR do you think it's alright to use the candy cane year-round? (the candy cane is perfect, as it gives reason to why the ribbon is striped).

Objects I've pondered are: a jumbo toothbrush and a jumbo pencil. Can anyone think of some other objects?

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
You could grab a big colorful sucker and then have a multi-colored streamer come out. Smae idea, different season.

I also love this routine. Please let me know if you ever decide to publish it.
AshleyW
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of AshleyW
Rick I know this is your routine, but where did you get the "secret something"? This was once put out by Laflin (i believe), not so much the routine but the silks & secret. It does not appear they offer it anymore. It use to come with colored fake lollipops and was a much more long and drawn out illusion, Rick has made it more enjoyable.

Rick, here's one idea: have 2 wands, 1 regular and one wrapped it different colored tape (home depot sells a rainbow of colors of electrical tape), on the last part of the routine, accidentally pick up the rainbow wand to tap the tube, if the audience doesn't say anything for you, you could suddenly realize your error and make a funny face. Then use the rainbow silk streamer to come out of the tube.

Daytona Magic Rainbow silk: http://daytonamagic.net/images/thumbtipstreamer.jpg
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
684 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Mike,

I LOVE the sucker idea with the multi-colored streamer!! That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Ashley, thanks for the link for the streamer, I may use it if I can't find my old thumb tip streamer. For the secondary wand, I wanted something with a different shape that the kids would notice right away. I really appreciate the suggestion though.

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Rick, in the Netherlands there was a movie in with a sorcerer. this was a movie for children and humorous.

they had a little idea with his wand (staff? - an big cane 5 feet high) on top of this wand they had someting. everytime when this wand came into the picture it had someting different on top. in certain scenes it changes 3 or four time.

the first wand is a normal wand.

the second wand is a wand with someting on top (let's a cup & saurcer / or fire engine - police car)don't say anyting - ignore it

3rd time the candy cane

I hope you get the idea: I was thinking do this thriugh my whole show. hope this helps
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Color Changing Hankies (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL