The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..11~12~13 [Next]
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
This is sounding great!
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I have been contacted by a couple of folks asking permission to use the Higley's Ripper props etc. By all means. Have at it. Credit is all I ask. Smile

Any contributor to Bruce's project will get a Discount voucher for a FUTURE Higley's purchase. (more later or TBD)

Yes Bruce, I will also contribute, (a brief story and some Art work) I'd love a Higley discount! Smile

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I am eager to see Higley's art work and routine.

Mark Raven gave me a sneak peek at his routine. Doug will be pleased with what he has done. Higley props, used extremely well!

Both of these gentlemen Rock!
Everyone whos joining in, Rocks the bizarrist world.

Kotah
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
It is worth considering that coins proported to be Ripper artefacts should... nerdishly and TECNICALLY speaking... be pristine -ish 1888 or earlier coins. This is assuming the women would have older coins. I use these with my customised "From Hell" set along with a lock of hair and (non-specific) scraps of period paper, sealing wax and a metal, Victorian cash box.

If anyone is interested in 1888 and earlier coins drop me a line and I might be able to help.

I am also planning on some Ripper effects that will hopefully push the boat out in terms of disturbing spectators and causing some swooning and shrieks if I'm lucky....
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Wow! I really appreciate all the feedback! It's a real boost. But I'm sure the rest of the book will be even better!

Tom, I pm'd you.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
Hey Tom Just trying to work out your reasoning, why would they be pristine coins 120 years on? Unless you were claiming you obtained them through time travel.
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Good one, Bloody Jack!

:)

Now if Tom is up on his Ripper Lore... he will direct you to the hideous film "Time after Time"....

But An aged ancient coin is always more eerie...
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
I suppose if a real "Ripper used" coin was in circulation since the crime it would be as worn as the ones that are available...but if that were the case why would you then presume or could you know it was one involved or had anything to do with the events? Any quanitified association would have been long since lost.

I would suggest one could offer coins in a few ways...

A: Present it/them as a representation of the type of coin that was used (in which case the year and condition isn't as important)

B: Say or suggest it was involved in the crimes. In that case it would have to be presumed to have been held by someone who stopped it from being circulated (and therefore lost) from that point on, in which case it should be 1888 at the latest and therefore only about as worn as any coin would have been within 1 year.

C: If it was of a year previous to 1888 and was held as a token or piece of evidence from a Ripper crime, it would (one can only presume) be as worn as a coin of it's year and type would have become up until it was "kept" as a Ripper artefact in 1888.

Having said this (I told you it was a "nerdish technicality" despite it's accuracy), and you are quite right Dr Spektor... a worn coin does have a certain ghostly "something" about it.
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
You could claim your psychic power and or spirits in the coin or is was dug up and taken from a victims eyes by a grave robber.
I think your "nerdish technicality" is just plain over thinking.
Oh and hey Dr Spektor "Mureder by decree" came out the same year as "time after time" and is a way better movie.
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
To each his own Jack, to each his own...

;)
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
Hey tom
I agree a pre-1888 works fine for any Jack effects and a lot easier to find.
I purchased about 6 bun pennys from e-bay for about 3 quid and one just happened to be 1888. To make the sun and moon coin I used any old bun penny cant remember the year because I machined the side with the date to make it thin enough.
Incidently I am looking for better condition coins to make another set so I guess I sort of feel the same way. I already have 2 1964(The 64,s are still silver) Kennedy half dollars. I am coming home for a moterbike road trip in the summer and will have to hit the coin shops.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3823 Posts

Profile of The Curator
A very interesting story about Jack in the Surnateum Collection.
Only French but should be translate one day.
http://www.surnateum.org/french/surnateu......orbe.htm
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Sent you a Pm, most illustrous Curator!

Being in Canada, I have a lot of people who can translate French to English - with your permission and the retention of all rights to you, we'd love to have it for the project!

(Plus if you want to submit the piece in Hauntiques Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile ....?)
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3823 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Submit where ? Here ?
I miss a point somewhere...
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I'll PM you again Smile
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
YOURS TRULY, JACK THE RIPPER

A tome of dark magic dealing with the mysteries associated with the Autumn of Terror, 1888

Note for contributions:

1) Nothing in it will aggrandize violence or Jack – although there are many fictions dealing with Jack, it is important to remember the Ripper murders were real and not fictitious and that this must be considered for what this book is about.

2) That the effects and material in the book are to be used or reflected on to understand that such sickness did exist and STILL DOES... and that society itself has some major issues promoting via media and hype violence (including serial killers and school shooters etc)... Jack was the first Media "star" killer... and he was never caught. He and the things associated with him are not just terror - they are aspects of real things in life.

3) I'll be framing any submissions with some psychological uses for education and meaning - as well as writing a section that some magic should not be used... i.e. magic has for a long time been equated with dexterity tricks etc... when in fact, magic skills have the dangerous potential to really shatter people. The effects in this book and the essays to go with it will explain that when using such heavy topics - one doesn't want to become a traumatizer oneself! Magic must be respected as one of the most powerful arts ever devised by humankind.

4) I'm an educator, deep down... and there is something about Jack that has stuck in history and popular culture because the mystery represents something we as people still struggle with - such as our own role in society and what should we be doing when we see insane games like GRAND THEFT AUTO emulating acts similar to Jack the Ripper? Putting our heads in the sand won't help... remember the goal of this book is to also raise charity funds for women victims of violence.

-----

Submitted

KOTAH

· A ton of files, ideas and tasty bits including a variety of graphics (like 1000 period photos and more – this man does not sleep)!

· Routine: Incident at Mitre Square

· Routine: Once Writ

· Routine: Goulston Street Graffito

· Routine: Some Believe

· Routine: “T’was Thomas Bowyer, Found her”

· Routine: Dark Eucharist

· Essay: “A Phantom Then and Now” – an overview of the case

· Appendix: The King’s English – glossary of terms used in the era

John B. AKA Harelquin

· Routine: The Ripper’s Blade

Michael Fraughton

· Routine: The Red Jack Dark Séance

Jim Magus

· Routine: Grue (Séance)

Gene Poinc

· Routine: “A Gentleman’s Companion”

Peter Marucci

· Routine: “Staying the Ripper’s Hand”

Aidan / Fishwasher

· Routine: Will the Real Jack Please Stand Up

Stefan Dardik

· Routine: “That Which Survives”

Mark Raven:

· Routine: The Eye of Mary Kelly (A Dark Museum masterpiece)

Dale A. Hildebrand

· Routine: The Red Light District

Marqus / Mark (not to be confused with Mark Walberg)

· Routine: From Hell

Balaram / Bill

· Routine: Mary’s Window

Doc Steve

· Routine: Long Liz’s Lessons

Created and to still be sent in:

Hildebrandt, Dale A.

· Routine: “Yet another Ripper Effect”

Alexandre / Annabelle

· The Seventh W hore

· Jack The Ripper is After Anabelle

· Jack The Ripper's Warning For Naughty Girls

Works in progress:

Dr. Spektor / Bruce

· Routine: “One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th century'': an intimate evening of terror

· Routine: “Gourmand of the Grotesque”

· Routine: “Autumn of Terror 1888 – A Rare Vintage”

· Routine: “Visions of Hell” (Yes, that Robert Lees theme I babbled about)

· Routine: “The 5th Victim”

· Various essays on possible thematic takes, considerations of presenting Jack the Ripper themed effects for spectators, etc. (Although I hope some others might want to help out on this)

· Multiple Stab Wounds – small vignettes to convert other routines into Ripper effects

Jim Magus

· Essay: Why Jack the Ripper is embedded in history and popular culture (Title to be confirmed)

Silverking /Blair

· Routine: No Title as yet but a Bloody Special Effect J

Sibbie / Cayce

· Untitled card effect

Margarette:

· An Essay! (YAY!) TBD

Doug Higley

· Story: Mirror, Mirror

· Hilgey Art (hooray!)

TEB3

· Routine: Unknown as yet – but Twisted

Prof. Peabody / Jim

· Routine / Essay: Unknown (maybe Masonic (yay!))

Maybe Contributing….

Rumour: Ed Solomon

Rumour: Mark Edward

Rumour: The Curator (well no longer a rumour –in the process of confirming some material….)

The Murder Scene Clean up crew:

· Dr S / Bruce, insane visionary

· WktWizard / Kit – Graphics / Layout guru

· Thamiel – possible art contribution

· Alton Thrash – Copyeditor and Second Eye

· Andre Hagen - Copyeditor

· Askernas – Web Development

· Senior Expert Ripperologist: KOTAH

Magic Creator Supporters:

Lebanon Circle Discounts for select products (TBD)

Outlaw Effects Discounts for select products (TBD)

Doug Higley Artisan Creations AKA Grindshhow Discounts for select products (TBD)

MagiCurios Discounts for select products (TBD)

· Docc Hilford? Anyone know how to contact him????
fraughton
View Profile
Veteran user
of books
327 Posts

Profile of fraughton
My only idea for contacting Docc is a seance (of course).
Beware of this and that.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Bumming around town the other day what should I find, but a shiny, new Metropolitan Police whistle. It's got that lovely "Gee, I don't want to hear this sound on a foggy London night after I've killed someone" sound. Now. . . the only thing left is to get rid of the shiny.
What would Wavy do?
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 16:03, fraughton wrote:
My only idea for contacting Docc is a seance (of course).

In secret? For $1000?
What would Wavy do?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Well, Docc hasn't answered my e-mails Smile - if anyone else would like to hound him, let me know....

Question... what would be a sinister book mark? Besides a red ribbon...

Anyone have an idea how to convert a nice 1880s coin into a sinister bookmark?

I've also decided based on the amount of information various people sent me in terms of loads of background materials and graphics, a CD ROM will be included in the back cover of the book... saving room in the actual book itself for the "meat" and personal artwork a few people volunteered to do... also, this way one won't have to spend ages downloading things from the net...

The Deadline is now February 28th 2008.

-------------------------------------------

YETI update - well I did get a few submissions... so if anyone wants to send anything in, I'll collect them all but won't get to it until Jack is dealt with or is underway with my fellow tenebrae here.

-------------------------------------------

SOmeone else can do Harlequins of Horror - but I'll be happy to submit something to that Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL