The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13 [Next]
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1239 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
You are killing me with this waiting...
askernas
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
294 Posts

Profile of askernas
... and when can I start building that darn website for it ? Smile
Micke Askernäs
www.askernas.com
Myrsolon
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Myrsolon
A shame I have to wait till summer :\

I recieved the following assingment in Historical Inquiry and thought it might be fun to nab a few of my classmates to do an effect or two on.... Yes, I know there are plenty effects out there, but this is already near the top of my list of stuff to spend money on.

Quote:
On http://www.casebook.org, a website devoted to Jack the Ripper, under the heading of "Press Reports," you will find transcriptions of artiles that appeared in The Pall Mall Gazette durign teh falla nd early witner of 1888-9. Please read the articles at each of the 55 linkes. Then, write a 1-2 page narrative summary of the articles

Yes, the project is really pathetic, but it's an excuse to tie school + hobby together. Now, if only this book had a few children's routines, then I could justify it as a school + hobby + work ultimate doom trifecta. Though, I somehow doubt k-6 parents would appriciate me teaching their children about Jack.
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
In Patricia Cornwell's book, Portrait of a Killer, she makes a compelling circumstantial case for the identity of Jack the Ripper. She identifies him as artist Walter Richard Sickert.

The ISBN is 0-425-19273-3.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
And I am happy to say I have a really sicko routine I have personally concocted in the book called "Sickert's Pallete"... a design duplication people have died for ... ehhehe
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2009-01-15 22:57, Bill Fienning wrote:
In Patricia Cornwell's book, Portrait of a Killer, she makes a compelling circumstantial case for the identity of Jack the Ripper. She identifies him as artist Walter Richard Sickert.

The ISBN is 0-425-19273-3.

She's most definitely been debunked by the Ripper pundits as a poor researcher, and taken to drawing huge leaps of faith in the void that is actual evidence..........the less polite would say much of the book was a fabrication.

"The Complete History of Jack the Ripper" by Philip Sugden remains the text of choice for either first time buyers, or those looking for hard core facts.......and the most often recommended by Ripper experts outside of the magic world.
It's certainly the first read that anybody planning on doing any Ripper magic should pick up and read to the point of memorizing the names and locations in which the canonical murders took place.
It's also a good idea to have authentic answers for the 10 or 15 most common questions laymen will ask after an effect like "From Hell" or similar........these facts are also best memorized from the Sugden book.

In Sugden's book, there is no firm suggestion as to whom Saucy Jack might have really been......and that remains the solid statement of the hard core Ripperologists for whom "everything Jack" is their hobby, whereas ours is magic.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
But what would be our number 1 choice if we simply HAD to put money on the table? At gunpoint if necessary!
I'd vote Tumbletee.
[
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
The nice thing in the upcoming boojk is there are a bunch of routines that employ almost every suspect... so you can take your pick.... or choice cut.
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
"New" DNA testing in Australia shows that it might be a woman killer.
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
We got women too
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2269 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
In my research of the Ripper case; I arrived at two suspects, neither of whom had been named before. Tgeir names and my reasoning is given in the book Bruce will be releasing. Som leaps of faith, but not as far fetched as Cornwell naming Sickert. HE was very strange indeed, but his painting of a String Of pearls could just as well been inspired by the Penny Dreadful pulp story about Sweeney Todd, by the same name. When the book is done, feel free to debunk my conclusions as you see fit. I will not tip my final surprising choice here on this forum.

Kotah
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Hah! Kotah, I can't wait! "Final surprising choice" really grabs my attention!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
The convenient fact about Jack the Ripper is that the case is likely never to be solved with certainty. The forensic techniques necessary did not exist at the time, and the evidence was not preserved properly to allow modern techniques to be applied now.

Moreover, the Ripper may have been obscure person not on any suspect list. Thus, it is unlikely that such a person's DNA is available after so many years or that, since he (or she) was not a suspect, the necessary DNA would even be sought for testing.

It is the perfect source for a bizarrist-type story.

Since the complete pattern will never be unraveled, we can attribute additional murders (of the time) to the Ripper; no one can say that the Ripper did not kill more often than we think.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2269 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Brother Fienning, all of your comments and observations ring quite true.

Will the identity of the Ripper ever be known? Is it possible? What closure can it bring ? The quest alone draws us to the case as the moth is to the flame.

Kotah
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Question gang:

Rather than an aged old book with clasps etc.... how is this:

A book Box.... that is eerie, bloody and mystical (and maybe can be customed up to do some magic effects) and within the box is a series of manuscripts... maybe aged paper but the text readable etc. of various mystic effects, case files, and strange goodies within. Heck, ala Luke Jermay, maybe we can tie a ribbon on some... the goodies inside will assist with some effects.

I was thinking how much I like the concept of the Astonishment project (9 DVDs, goodies in a puzzle box (alas, not a LeMarchand type))... and why not do a bizarre version.... it will also drive nuts the copy pirates hahahaah!

I know Simon and I could make this very eerie....

(If you like this concept, this can also be done for the possible Lov.Cer. project although I have a concept for a removable cover that might be good for special effects (book pages all go blank etc.)....
Myrsolon
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Myrsolon
I like the idea of a book box for the ripper project. It'll lend itself very well to the entire feel of the effect. Having each manuscript broken down would be really neat. I love the idea of having "case files" and other strange goodies w/it.

On an aisde, I don't like this concept for the Lov.Cer. project, I'm really looking foward to having the lovecraftian ceremonies as a usuable altar book.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Sounds good to me!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
While I love the idea, the price is probably going to be prohibitive for me.
What would Wavy do?
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
Really? He only has......
776 Posts

Profile of Matthew St. Cyr
I love the idea of a book box!
The Wonder Lies In The Dark Between The Stars. . .
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hmmm... could do a range of offers with it maybe - normal box versus gimmick box, goodies versus no goodies, etc...

Also, contributors such as yourself will get some special deal...

As pricing for the leather-like book hand bound is pretty pricey anyway - so I figured for the same costs make it more friendly and usable...

Hmmm...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL