The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Time travel (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2697 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-06-28 00:33, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Ed, is that one of the Marvel What If series?


No, Marvel Two-In-One which would team the Thing up with some other Marvel character. This issue, it was the Thing and the Thing!

There was another story where time travelers came to gawk at the primitives in the past. The way they got out of "time paradoxes" was that they picked a time and place where a plaque was going to break out and the entire area was dynamited shortly after they left!

I like time travel stories!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2008-06-28 01:42, abc wrote:
It is also possible that the tourists from the future find us disgusting and dirty iving in polluted cities with fog and smoke everywhere and...


Corey Doctorow has a story online about a time traveler who expresses his views on our time and even steps up to help us a little. Well worth the read.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
They keep coming back to visit us, and when they do, they find out that they haven't been born yet... and "Poof", they're gone.

But they do keep trying...
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Every time you put something down, then seem to forget where you put it, and have to go looking... yup you guessed it. Kinda funny when you get unstuck on the trainride. Was the coke logo always in red? Did we really have an actor as president and two as state governors? Did the word arithmetic begin with the letter r?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I think we have proof of time travel right here. This thread jumped from 2002 to 2008.

Einstein accidentally proved that time travel; can be possible, and Hawking provided a method. Sadly, or perhaps to the better, the amount of energy required to get it done is well beyond our scope. Dr. Michaeo Kaku Has suggested in the book "the physics of the impossible" that we will have time travel ability in the next two or three hundred years. That is a scary thought.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2676 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2008-06-28 11:54, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Every time you put something down, then seem to forget where you put it, and have to go looking... yup you guessed it. Kinda funny when you get unstuck on the trainride. Was the coke logo always in red? Did we really have an actor as president and two as state governors? Did the word arithmetic begin with the letter r?


Oh, when you forget something, and then later find it where you originally thought it was, there's a different sort of time travel responsible for that (see A Matter of Minutes: part 1, part 2, part 3).
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Funny episode. Kept imagining what would happen during a union dispute with several colors of workers attempting to construct/tear down several different versions of existence.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
My personal favorite, just for sheer weirdness was "The Langoliers" by Stephen King. Watching these weird creatures "eat" old minutes was really strange. Might explain why the workers from "A Matter of Minutes" can't reuse props from old "boxcars!" Smile
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Almost suggests a cute presentation for the standard rope routine as you explain the plot of a time travel story.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Im watching a movie right now, "primer". Its great. All about time travel in a modern, on-the-cheap style.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!



"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2697 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Another cute idea was the first time traveler goes to meet Shakespere. He gets there and Willie is a jaded cynical sophisticate, who demands printed science fiction books for payment before he'll do anything. "But," says the man, "I'm the first Time Traveler." "But," says Willie, "you're not the first to GET here!"
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
608 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Here's how you can travel in time: http://keelynet.com/time/bajak1.htm

If you build the circuit, let me know, so I can say "hi" to you yesterday.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Time as we perceive it does not exist. It is not constant and exists (as we perceive it) as the relationship between two objects.

Time as I understand is an encrease of entropy within a system (that system being the universe). We perceive time because we are a finite being and it allows us to make sense of our perceptions.

Here is something to ponder.

This is an excerpt taken from an article on Discover magazine's website:

Seth Lloyd, a quantum mechanical engineer at MIT said "I recently went to the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Boulder,”. (NIST is the government lab that houses the atomic clock that standardizes time for the nation.) “I said something like, ‘Your clocks measure time very accurately.’ They told me, ‘Our clocks do not measure time.’ I thought, Wow, that’s very humble of these guys. But they said, ‘No, time is defined to be what our clocks measure.’ Which is true. They define the time standards for the globe: Time is defined by the number of clicks of their clocks.”
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
A man with two clocks never knows what time it is.
There can be only one (clock).
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-06-29 12:48, JTW wrote:
“I said something like, ‘Your clocks measure time very accurately.’ They told me, ‘Our clocks do not measure time.’ I thought, Wow, that’s very humble of these guys. But they said, ‘No, time is defined to be what our clocks measure.’ Which is true. They define the time standards for the globe: Time is defined by the number of clicks of their clocks.”


To the extent that this is true, it makes the setence "Your clocks measure time very accurately" tautological, not false. If time is defined by the number of clicks of their clocks, then CERTAINLY they measure time very accurately; in fact, they measure it precisely.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-06-29 12:48, JTW wrote:
Time as we perceive it does not exist. It is not constant and exists (as we perceive it) as the relationship between two objects.



I'm actually not sure about these two sentences, either; in the first sentence, you say that it does not exist as we perceive it, but in the second sentence you define the way in which it exists as we perceive it.

We may not fully understand time, or be able to accurately measure it, but it certainly exists in the "way" we understand it to. It takes "longer" for the moon to get around the earth than it does for the earth to get around the sun. Things don't happen all at once; some things happen before other things. With this post, I can reply to posts that have already been posted, but not to posts that will come "later." Nobody who depends on someone else for employment is going to show up at 10:00 for his 8:30 job and try to argue that "time doesn't really exist." (At least I hope not...anyone who wants to prove me wrong, good luck with that).

Our notion of time seems to me to be based on two concepts - priority and duration. Some things happen "before" other things, and some things take "longer" than other things. In their hearts of hearts, even the most reality-resistant, David Lynch/Salvador Dali inspired theoretical physicists know this to be true.

See you later.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
LobowolfXXX,
You're right in editing I missed removing the phrase "as we perceive" from the first sentence. That was certainly my fault. "We" percieve time but I don't believe "it" exists mathematically.

We percieve time. We invented the clock to help us understand that perception. The clock measures it's clicks accurately and we call that time...just because that is the definition does not make it a mathematical truth.

Some scientists speculate time may simply be a phenomenon of observing large things in the universe. On the quantum level "time" (as a mathematical function) breaks down.

However when dealing with large objects the time equation does work and it works regardless if time moves forward or backward (which makes sense to me but to mathematicians it is important I'm guessing because "time" only moves forward in our perception).

I agree our perception of time has a basis in priority and duration. I think though that time, if it were truly a fundamental mathematical quality, should work no matter where it is applied. So why doesn't it work on the quantum level? Either the math is flawed or our understanding of our observations are flawed. Which leads me to a realization that as far as the concept of time is concerned we can't count on our perception of it at this time.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2676 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Doodles Weaver, a great comedian who happened to be Sigourney Weaver's uncle, wrote a fun story about time travel. It was called Time and Again, and Overtime (part 1, part 2). I linked to it because you have to read the whole thing in context.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
We cannot travel through time, only through space. So, how would one know when to stop?

The Hawking quote reminded me of my line, "Were time travel possible, surly more people would've won the lottery."
POOF!
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
608 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Quote:
On 2008-06-30 14:51, JTW wrote:
We percieve time. We invented the clock to help us understand that perception. The clock measures it's clicks accurately and we call that time...just because that is the definition does not make it a mathematical truth.


Exactly.

Ladies and gentlemen, your perception please.

I would like to take the time to expound further. Time is what it is because that is what humans have defined it to be; just like with any other words in the English (or any other) language. (That depends on what the definition of is is.) A rock is called a rock, because we as a society agreed upon that name to describe such an item. We created the concept of time in order to keep track of events. A second or a minute or an hour is defined just the same way (or similar to) as an inch or a centimeter or a foot was defined way back when. We just chose a length and called it an inch or a centimeter or a foot, etc...
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Time travel (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL