The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Paper Engine by Aaron Fisher (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I thought the book was over rated. I'll eventually go through it again but I wasn't overly impressed with content or style.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I guess it's just one of the many products that you either love or hate.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I was an idiot, but I will make sure it never happens again. I truly hate it when I screw up like this. I getangry with myself for it.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hey! Erlandish was right! Michael apologized, thanked everyone, etc! Michael, I've one word for you...mime...
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

I'll consider it.. man, I feel so stupid...

And technically, I was not apologizing as there is simply nothing to apologize for. I will just read everything over and think it through. Erlandish, you're scaring me... Smile
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
It takes greatness to apologize . . .

well done
Cards never lie
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Very disappointing, but hope still nonetheless.

You forgot to take that breath I talked about Mike.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

*inhale* *exhale"
double_lift
View Profile
Veteran user
Platform 9 3/4
355 Posts

Profile of double_lift
Just in case someone's still interested...

Well, Aaron's book is not for beginners or for people looking for a wide collection of easy to do / strong effects. As a matter of fact, the book's title is "Tension, Focus and Design in Card magic", which can give you an idea of what you won't find between its covers.
Rather, the book is full of subtleties, ideas and tips to help you polish your card handling. There are new techniques that you'll need to practice in order to get to master them. There are also many thoughts and hints on the pass (and some of its variations).

I believe that this is a book for the true lover of card magic. If you just know a few effects with cards and you mostly perform with other props like coins, sponge balls or whatever other objects, you probably won't enjoy Aaron's work as much.

Hope it helps,
"There's a world of difference between the spectators not knowing how something is done and them knowing that it can't be done."
(Simon Aronson)
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Thank you Double_lift. Having read two pages of posts bashing an overzealous reviewer, I was delighted to find a post that was actually about the book itself.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I knew Aaron when he was a teenager. He recently lectured here in Silver Spring, and I must say, I gained a whole new appreciation for his book after seeing him perform and explain many of the items in person.

As mentioned earlier, while not for everyone, if you're serious about your card handling, the book is certainly worth your attention.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

That review was in no way overzealous, it was my real opinion on the book. We all have our different opinions, why won't you let me have mine?
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Mike, if you tasted an average steak for the first time in your life, you'll think its the best. But once you taste the best steak, you'll think that the first one was average.

I'm 21 years old, I think you're young too, some of the people here been doing magic before you and I were born, they read great books, so when they do a review, they put it in a .... different way.

You know, I don't think that made sense, but anyway ...

I don't own Aaron's book but I do know some of his stuff through his contribution's in magazines like Trapdoor ( found at ebay every now and then ). All of them are very good. There is this multiple shift I forgot its name, but its really good and I enjoyed practicing.

Why did I post in this thread? No idea, oh, great review by the way.

Silverking's advice is awesome. Every young guy gotta listen to the ... less young guy. Smile

~ Feras
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

You're right... comapred to the stuff by Vernon and Marlo I have read recently, I would only give this book a 7-8.
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
I just want to make one point here. I don't think it is fair for people to criticize Mike for giving a dishonest review. I haven't seen anything that suggests he was not being entirely honest in giving the score he did initially. The problem with many young reviewers is that well made by Medifro's example: they simply don't have the experience to judge greatness.

The more books you have read on card magic, the better equipped you are to determine where a new book falls on the spectrum. You will know, for example, where the new author is simply recycling old material and slights or has come up with something entirely fresh and new. With years of experience performing, you will be in even a better position to judge, for you will know which effects are likely to work for real audiences and which simply look good on a written page.

I suspect we can all relate to our first few years in magic when everything seemed new and amazing. I'm sure if someone had asked me what I thought of my Adams' egg vase at that point, I would have told them it was the most incredible magic trick in the world -- and I wouldn't have been lying. Aspersions of my integrity would not have been justified, though it would have been entirely justified for others to discount my review based upon my lack of relevant experience.

Mike's most recent post indicates that he is educating himself and, in the process, becoming a better reviewer. For that, I believe he should be congratulated rather than vilified.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I do one trick from the book, found several others inspiring, and got a lot out of the theory presented, much of which covers new ground. My bottom line - money well spent.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
JUST ANNOUNCED TODAY that if the recent CC Club DECK from Aaron Fisher & Lee Asher reaches a 100K stretch goal

They will reprint this book for backers! the only edition of the Paper Engine to be printed in the last 5-10 years.

The first goal in this edition is to make the book available in physical form to all our backers who have never had a copy. There WILL be some added material and special bonus content.
MC Mirak
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MC Mirak
Thanks for the heads up, just backed the kickstarter. Here's the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/con......ub-cards
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2020, DavidKenney wrote:
JUST ANNOUNCED TODAY that if the recent CC Club DECK from Aaron Fisher & Lee Asher reaches a 100K stretch goal

They will reprint this book for backers! the only edition of the Paper Engine to be printed in the last 5-10 years.

The first goal in this edition is to make the book available in physical form to all our backers who have never had a copy. There WILL be some added material and special bonus content.

Wow, great news, got mine paper back version back in 2007 when met Aaron, I was fortunate to hang out with him during his appearance in magic convention, moreover I helped him on his booth selling stuff at that time.

Many moons passed then I got his book fist edition from a magician friend. The book is not for beginners for sure, but if you were like me that prefer old school card magic, Paper Engine is a book you should get.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Paper Engine by Aaron Fisher (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL