The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Teaching Magic at Schools (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1885 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Quote:
My question: Why is it in your country you are so judgemental of others or ready to label people..and this is for many here, not just one. Is America the land of the free, home of brave? Is not different opinions appreciated here most of all and RESPECTED?
I think now America is land of the ego, at least that is what this board and the news from BBC tells me...

Well, are you not being pretty judgmental too with that blanket statement?? Yes, for the past decade or so I would agree America is home of the judgmental. We have a lot of others too, but as a group we can be pretty judgmental AND self righteous. Hasn't always been that way, and it is changing. ----The French don't exactly have a stellar reputation either.

Your comment on another thread does not seem to match how you view yourself:
Quote:
Louis LaLaurie

New user
Paris
27 Posts Posted: Jan 11, 2008 12:48am Reply with quote Send a Private Message View Profile of Louis LaLaurie Report this post to forum moderator
You ought to be ashamed of what you just said in your last line, sir!
It only shows why you failed miserably at your event!
You DO have a right to be paid before the show, and many much, much greater than you do this every day!
Irrelevant? You did not listen! Typical American! No respect for elders, no respect for wisdom!

Typical French *L* - just joking!

Also, how do you know anyone is whom she claims to be on the web? It is very easy to have false identities. One can pretend to be any age, gender, or occupation they wish. Say, I Google "Joe Blow magician Paris" or "John Doe mime Paris" and see what comes up. If I see a lot of links for them I will assume their identity is accurate. If nothing comes up but links to the Café, I will assume they are pretending to be someone else. I personally find it a bit unethical to criticize ANYONE -if one is hiding their own identity. It is a bit more acceptable if they have a significant number of posts to establish them. Maybe that is just me.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Kyle, I don't remember what you wrote. I got the sense that Capt Kid was looking at the class as a way to market himself and I was correct. There are some here that act as if teaching magic will save messed up kids. Others, like yourself Kyle, have a fanciful idea they are giving back to magic. Magic isn't an organization, it isn't a person, it doesn't need anyting given back to it because it doesn't care. Magic is an enjoyable hobby and it is interesting. It is a creative release for some and for others a means of making a living and for others a few extra bucks. Teaching a class gives you a warm fuzzy feeling it doesn't give back to magic. So why not be honest? Say "I want to teach a magic class so my name will be seen by parents who might hire me" or "I like being the center of attention and seen to be a good guy". There is nothing wrong with that and it is better than the bs that goes out. It is doing tricks, it isn't medicine, it isn't job training, it isn't teaching one how to read or write. It is just something that is interesting.

Capt Kid is being honest at last, he likes teaching a class and hopes it will increase his business and thus make him more money, tada! That is it! He said it, nothing wrong with it, and it is about time. Guess what? Brian Flora put out the video on it for one reason....to make money! Woz and Jobs created Apple to do one thing....make money!

I'm just against mass exposure but hey, others don't seem bothered by it. Go get 'em fellas, there are herds of children waiting to have their enjoyment of magic taken away from them.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1885 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Quote:
I'm just against mass exposure but hey, others don't seem bothered by it.
--Did I miss something??? Who is doing mass exposure????

Quote:
there are herds of children waiting to have their enjoyment of magic taken away from them
Hmmm, I am pretty knowledgeable on how magic is done, from stage to close-up, yet I love magic . . . I must be an aberration. I think if the kids find a show enjoyable like a puzzle, then perhaps this could be true. If the children find the show enjoyable because it is a lot of fun, and it is not designed to challenge them to figure out how things are done, not so much of a problem.

But then again, that is just me, and I yell at kids too. (Oh yeah, I also think that marketing can be similar in most US cities . . . such a ludicrous idea, but I am a fool!) *G*
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
For many learning magic takes away the amazement. I too enjoy watching magic but I don't watch it the same way as a lay person. This was covered by Copperfield in the introduction to The Magic of Michael Ammar. It was also addressed as an aside by Mark and Jinger during a show with lots of magicians in attendence when he gave the name of a character and commented "I can tell when magicians are in the house, they laugh at that and in other places others don't get".

You don't yell at kids, you scream at them...did you get that nightmare of a video off the net?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
One of the highlights of my trip to Boston in 05 was watching Kyle and his wife work with the young folks in magic. Nigel and I also had a great time razzing George Schindler during the Vent workshop. He was a good sport. Although I don't get to many conventions so meeting folks like George, and the Peron's is treasured.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Thank you so very much Harris. I greatly appreciate it. It was a pleasure for my wife and I to meet you as well. I know many here probably just do not belive me but those who have seen me teahc locally and nationally know that I really do not have any "hidden agenda". I just love teaching magic and to me teaching magic grows our art. I will continue to teach and never ask payment to do so. It is just something I believe strongly in. Thanks Harris for noticing and appreciating what my wife and I do.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You travel around teaching lay children magic? I love Boston by the way, great town. I'd love to go travel around New England if they ever move the people out of there.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
What Harris is refering to is his visit to the SAM National Convention that was held in Boston in 2005. My wife and I teach with the Society of Young Magicians (the SAM's youth program) and we also are active with SYM activities at the national convention each year. Hope this clarifies things a bit. My pleasure.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1885 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
MS, not yet but soon. BTW I yell, not scream. I could not scream for a whole party, much less several in a row. Too hard on the throat. Scream also suggests uncontrolled, and I am much like a drill instructor (with a twinkle in my eye). If you have been in the military you will know the difference. Perhaps it seems like that because you are a grouchy old man! I am getting a small PA so I don’t have to yell either . . . just crank the volume! *G*

Quote:
Brian Flora put out the video on it for one reason....to make money!

I really don't think there is that much money in children's magic videos . . . am I wrong? I think most videos are for recognition. In the long way around that can mean more money . . . but it is not any sure thing. If a video sells in a store for $30 bucks, then it probably wholesales for $15. The shooting editing and distribution cost a lot, and the wholesaler want to make a good profit too. Most magicians I have spoken with don't get paid for their video directly. They get paid in copies of the video, which they have to peddle themselves in BOR.

Now I believe Flora shot & edited his in house, which gives him a little more cash, but he loses out on the marketing connections the "big boys" have. Let's say he sells 200 of one video that markets for one video (I think that may be a fair number, but it is just a guess) that is 6K. Take out the marketing costs, production costs and material costs - I think 2K is a bit conservative, and you get 4K for all the work - and you have to sell it yourself! Not exactly the big money for spilling the beans on something that took time and money to develop. Ooops, I forgot, he has to pay Uncle Sam a ton too.

Then, if he were still around, he would have to deal with guys saying he is in it for the money . . .

I really don’t think there is any real money in magic videos unless you sell a ton of them. If you market to finger flingers, there will be more. Still except for a few cases, I don’t think the artist makes any money worth envying directly off the video.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
There wasn't much money in many videos but if you put out enough you get different customers. Flora didn't put 'em out for charity, some of his stuff is pretty good, some is pretty bad.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1885 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Yep, that is my assessment of them too.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
This morning I will complete my last 2 workshops for middle school drama students.

The puppets have been having a lot of fun with inquisitive minds.

I always learn and am stimulated with new ideas when I teach.

Yesterdays included thoughts of

1. Using socks with toes as a basis for a puppet
2. Using the hands of my folkmanis girl puppet to play the xylophone..(the vibes...)
3. Write more scripts

Folks on this section of the Café are also appreciated for bringing out my nearly normal creativity.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Teaching Magic at Schools (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL