The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Best Wand for Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Thinking of the wand as part of the magic -- the tool that channels the powers -- the wand needs to LOOK magical, doesn't it? It needs to look like something Merlin himself conferred upon you when you were his young apprentice, no? We all know that any piece of lumber is useful for our sleights, but to the audience shouldn't the wand look like the instrument of magic? It bugs me when people use butter knives for impromptu routines. How does a butter knife suddenly become so powerful? Why do you need it for only half of the routine? That doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm being needlessly romantic here, since the audience just expects a magician to wave a stick around and doesn't ask why. Anyway, IMHO, the wand should look special.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1452 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 07:29, BeThePlunk wrote:
Thinking of the wand as part of the magic -- the tool that channels the powers -- the wand needs to LOOK magical, doesn't it? It needs to look like something Merlin himself conferred upon you when you were his young apprentice, no? We all know that any piece of lumber is useful for our sleights, but to the audience shouldn't the wand look like the instrument of magic? It bugs me when people use butter knives for impromptu routines. How does a butter knife suddenly become so powerful? Why do you need it for only half of the routine? That doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm being needlessly romantic here, since the audience just expects a magician to wave a stick around and doesn't ask why. Anyway, IMHO, the wand should look special.



See I am on the opposite approach. For more formal routines I did make my own on my lathe and it is classic, black with white ends. But for 99% of the cups and balls I do on a normal basis(busker style in my stage show) I use a timbali stick with black heat shrink on it. In that case it is not a wand, but a stick. I never call it a wand and a stick should look as natural and non magical as possible. But I guess that is our difference. I want people believing that the magic is in me, not my props.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Thanks so much for that respectful reply, elimagic. You make a very good point about what style of presentation we're talking about -- formal or busking... and I'll add impromptu. Each one has the potential to cast the magician in a different relationship to the props -- the wand in this case.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1452 Posts

Profile of elimagic
I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic in response to me, I am not sure why you used respectful the way you did, I was not being disrespectful. In any regard yes, the style or venue will definitely reflect which wand style to use. Think for an impromptu routine, using silverware as a wand fits perfectly. Look at david williams, it worked for him and his routine is wonderful! It shows, once again, that the magic can happen any time, anywhere, with ANY props.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I was sincere. You offered your opinion without implying that mine was flawed. We don't always see that in these exchanges. I appreciate it and I wanted to say so. Simple as that.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1452 Posts

Profile of elimagic
O we'll in that case I apologize. My mistake. I have a tendency to be defensive since as you said, it is difficult sometimes to communicate without all the bashing that goes on frequently here. once again my mistake.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
No worries.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I recall one stage I went through of making some wands from rather straight Pussy Willow branches. I cut them to a length, stripped the bark off them, and probably smoothed them with the edge of a bit of glass shard. I fooled around with the rods for a few days at home, never used them on the street. I probably burnt them as firewood. And until now haven't thought about them for years.
There's a lot of things you don't find out about for yourself until you try them out.
The presentation makes the magic.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
One idea I've had but never tried is to use an old chair rung. Sometime their turned in nice patterns. If you found an antique chair in a dump and no longer valuable as a chair, you might get something really attractive to which you could add brass ends or something. Has anyone ever tried that?
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Traditionally, for the cups and balls, the length of the wand should be longer than the inside depth of the cup but shorter than the outside height of the cup. At least that is what I notice Dai Vernon uses.Smile
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1452 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On 2014-01-16 21:02, TheRaven wrote:
Traditionally, for the cups and balls, the length of the wand should be longer than the inside depth of the cup but shorter than the outside height of the cup. At least that is what I notice Dai Vernon uses.Smile



Well said haha
Chris.Z
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Chris.Z
Quote:
On 2014-01-16 21:02, TheRaven wrote:
Traditionally, for the cups and balls, the length of the wand should be longer than the inside depth of the cup but shorter than the outside height of the cup. At least that is what I notice Dai Vernon uses.Smile



Is that metric, or can I convert Klingon?

Side note: I just realized that technically, I just "Quoth The Raven" Smile
Chris.Z
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Chris.Z
If you guys are still interested in the drumsticks as an option, I just ran The Timbale Sticks through google and came up with this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pro-Mark-LA-......19307282

That's a little over a buck a stick for American Hickory!!
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
These are some really nice wands:

https://www.universalorlando.com/Merchan......nds.html
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I like this wand a lot. I've seen it in a few places but sometimes have to go hunting for it. Here is an eBay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magicians-Magic-......25240588

and here is Penguin's demo ('though they don't have it in stock right now).

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/537

I find that it has a nice balance and spins just great. BUT this is not your practice wand, and it shouldn't be whacked and dropped a lot. The joint in the center gets weak with rough handling. I cracked my first one and now use it for practice. But I like it so well, that I bought a second one that I save for show. I'm not a busker; I just like to read what you guys do. So maybe what I just said eliminates this wand from your choices. That's useful information too, I guess.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Best Wand for Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL