The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » 3D projection without glasses (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Shawcross
View Profile
New user
Cardiff UK
85 Posts

Profile of Ben Shawcross
Interesting article I just happened across, I'm sure we've all thought about this before!

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2000/11/40264
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Nice! Great for medicine although the military funded the development ... Strange but true!
Think of the magical things ... endless Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
minnich_magic
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of minnich_magic
You'd be surprised how much cutting edge, non-weaponry, high-tech is funded by the DOD. Some is never used in the battlefield arena, but instead is snatched up by high-tech companies for civilian use.

For those interested in a novel laptop that projects 3d images without the use of 3D glasses, check out the Sharp Actius RD3D notebook. Cool 15"display, but pricey.
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
I had one of the Sharp self-stereo LCD panels on my desk at work for a while a couple of years back. With the right software behind it, it is really impressive. The only problem is that the effect is extremely sensitive to where you hold your head, and to your eyes being level. It was also difficult for more than two people to see the effect simultaneously.

All in all, quite a cool device.
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
The mind is really quite willing to interpret what it sees as 3D - witness its ability to decipher 3D stereograms. The technological challenge has always been how in the heck to get a different perspective sent to each eye. Even a simple View-Master can do the job for an individual, but how can you do it unobtrusively for an entire audience?

The 3D movies that use polarizing glasses do a pretty good job, but the glasses kind of spoil the illusion. I've seen a couple of movies and the Michael Jackson thing at Disney World with these, and they were pretty cool. But I'm waiting for them to get this 3D holographic projection thing down. That's going to be real sci-fi stuff.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I couldn't get the Michael Jackson 3D effect to work for me when I went to Disneyworld. A much better effect (although it still uses the glasses) is Philharmagic and the Muppetvision 3D show.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
This technology has actually been around for a while. I wonder what they charged the military for it?

Back in the 1970's, the Oklahoma State Fair grounds, in their science museum, had a rather large box sitting on display. On one side was a round window with a hand projecting from it, holding a $1 bill sticking out into space. The hand and the dollar looked pretty solid. I wish I had a quarter for every time someone tried to claim the dollar as their own!

When viewing it straight on, you could see a mannequin's hand, holding the dollar, in a very well lit box, a parabolic mirror behind it and a lense between you and the dollar. A similar set up to the double parabolic mirror they sell at the magic stores that projects the image of a coin or dice above the surface. The more light that bounces off of it, the more realistic it looks.

Similar to Pepper's Ghost. Pretty low tech, really, compared to what I expected.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Pepper's Ghost was just glass and rheostats on the lighting and dark backgrounds. At the old Fantasma Magic shop in NYC Roger had the most amazing 3-D "hologram" kind of thing set up. He doesn't have the place to set it up in the new place. Hands in gloves and his logo performed in space in his hallway. Best thing of that kind I've seen. There may have been a parabolic mirror and a projector in the next room behind a 2 way mirror. I never found out for sure.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
A new tablet recently advertised closeup 3D image display; Leia's Lume Pad
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Satire
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Satire
I've seen this one in person and it is downright eerie: https://lookingglassfactory.com/

I think Pepper's Ghost is still the practical way to do this, but if anyone wants to go high-tech the above is just so impressive to see in person. It really looks like magic. By my estimates you've got five years or so before it's all over the place and totally unimpressive to the layperson. Today it's really expensive and takes a ton of computing power, but tomorrow's tech will dwarf today's cutting edge.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
There is a new movie coming out where they used practical effects in real time- no post production inserts, to do the hologram characters. It is a new kind of translucent cloth with tiny metalic fibers to catch the front-projection image. The person filmed for the projection would have to be in front of a dark cloth so when projected on the special cloth, only the supposed hologram character shows and you can see the actual background through the special cloth. The film is called Memory Games.
I worked in Optical Effects, on Predator for example, and am very interested when someone mentions holograms or 3-D projections, etc. I have a pretty good idea how the Roger Dryer device worked, which was the best I've seen. I've also heard about Michael Jackson's "hologram" on stage. Pepper's Ghost I know about.
The true holograms are small, the ones I've seen. Something that looks like a hologram or what they mean in a Sci-Fi book, in real life doesn't there need to be something to project ON? I have heard about images for cell phones that simulate 3-D without the glasses. I'm not jaded. I want to know what is evolving.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
For on stage, the images are projected via a version of Pepper's Ghost...that's what it says in your interesting link, Michael, but I don't really understand what that means. I know Pepper's Ghost and all, but exactly what they are doing to get a computer image on stage I'm not sure, but curious.
Tarabas
View Profile
New user
Germany
50 Posts

Profile of Tarabas
Is there a Video available? It Sounds really interesting
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I can't believe I commented on this thread 14 years ago...... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » 3D projection without glasses (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL