The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Library Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
This is my first year to do library shows. My one-page website for it will be up at the end of the week and I am hoping to mail out my "creative marketing" ladybug postcards this week too. I hope it isn't too late... I am planning on charging $300 and rather than adding a mileage fee giving discounts so that most libraries will
probably end up booking me for $210 or $240.

I am based in NJ, about an hour from Manhattan where prices are higher by about $100 a show. This way the base price is set at a high, professional rate but they are getting me for a more reasonable price since, while I've been doing this awhile, is my first year breaking into the market.

Wondering how you are all handling the Catch the Reading Bug theme and what you think of my strategies?

Thanks,
Alexa
http://www.princesslexiloo.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Sounds like you are off to a good start, Princess Lexiloo. You can adjust your price if you find your costs were higher than you expected. You seem to be in a good ballpark starting range.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
Thanks. Are you saying the prices can be a little higher? Because yes, my expenses are fairly high since this is my first year doing it.

Alexa
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I don't know how your libraries work out your way but here in Seattle we had to have our show proposals in months ago and the libraries are booking as we speak. Several of the systems are unable to hire anyone who is not in the "book" of authorized performers which is generally compiled at the first of the year. The smaller systems can hire off book and often do so later in the year but the big systems won't consider any performer who hasn't gone through the official registration process.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
Hi Payne,

Can you tell me how you go through the official registration process?

Thanks,

Alexa
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-01-08 11:37, alexa wrote:
Hi Payne,

Can you tell me how you go through the official registration process?

Thanks,

Alexa

It actually varies from system to system. Some want an actual audition while others simply take applications. I'm sure thqat there are others that you can just walk into and talk to the librarian to get booked
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Library Shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL