The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » SubTrunks! Which One? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Swann101
Like I said before, build your own, and like Kyle said it will be more customised, you can realy do cool designs on with sheet metal.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
If you are not in the occupation of building things or a serious building hobbyist, building your own may not be the best option. Take the sub trunk for example. You can buy one for anywhere from $900 to $1300 shipped, excellent quality.

In order to build one you will first need a plan. Hours to draw one or buy one for anywhere from $10 and up. You will have to go out and purchase the materials. Few hours of time securing the wood and hardware and anywhere from $5 to $50 in gas. A person with significant wood working experience is looking at a minimum of 24 hours of labor building an object such as a sub trunk that has never built one before. That is if the first effort is rather trouble free and successful. Best case scenario is you spend about 30 hours and $100 in materials and expenses(like gas). Just do a materials list and price it if you doubt this. The reality is that you would more likely spend 100 hours and waste $50 in materails from mistakes and you MIGHT finish it.

Don't forget all the things you will need if you actually want a quality trunk like you would get from a professional builder such as poly, special hardware, router bit and sandpaper. The little things really add up when you don't already have this stuff bought in bulk. If you consider your time to be worth $30 an hour you have at least a $1000 investment in a sub trunk($3150 in the more realistic 100 hour scenario). This is a best case scenario and unlikely to occur. I'd like to hear how many people on here have illusions they built and never finished or that they would never put in a proffesinal show after it was built. One of the biggest parts of doing the sub trunk routines, which is often sadly not exploited by many magicians is...having the sub trunk fully examined by one or more audience members. It takes skill and attention to detail to accomplish building a sub trunk that can take such scrutiny. If a sub trunk is not fully examined then it just becomes a hack illusion that leaves the audience trying to guess which..well..you know.

I am a skilled wood worker with 30 years of carpentry and cabinetry experience and I have one of each. An illusion never finished and one I wouldn't even put in a kid show. I don't regret the experience of either one but I mostly did it for the fun of it and not because I was trying to save the $$$ or had to build it to perform an effect. I'd love to hear from anyone on here that "saved a fortune" by building their own! There are some incredibly talented people out there that build quality illusions for themselves but they are few and far between.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from building their own illsuions but just to state that doing it to save $$$ will most likely leave you very disappointed and shorter on money to purchase a quality illusion. I've even learned the hard way that going with some dicount illusion maker in the the hopes of upgrading later is also a huge mistake. When it comes to large illusions, do yourself and the magic community a favor and buy quality. It pains me when I see a sword basket that I could put Rosie Odonnell in or a mini-kub ripoff that I could..well...put Rosie Odonnell in. And god forbid...a sub trunk that is not fully examinable.

You generally get what you pay for. If you don't believe me then try cutting the fingers of of laytex gloves to save on condoms. That's not from my own experience..I swear.
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
Dave Womach has a plexi glass one for sale... I worked with it last year and have to say it's a cool design. I busted my elbows a few times during the drop. If you have a plexi trunk you know what I mean. LOL! Gotta work it out! It's really fast if urr any good. It's built by Malloy so... :0) Good stuff for sure!

Get at him if urrr interested. I believe it comes with a ATA...

- Wade
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I'm surprised that it doesn't have a spot already in your new show Wade!
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
John,

Excellent post, my thoughtsexactly.

All,

Thanks for your posts.

BYUDAD
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Welcome
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » SubTrunks! Which One? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL