The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito box magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
879 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Just wondering how many people still do box magic. I do not see it here much any more, and just curious.
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I have about 8 Okito box routines that I practice almost daily. Personally, I love the box and how innovative some of the routines out there can be from guys like David Roth and Greg rostami.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
mfeld
View Profile
Elite user
San Francisco
457 Posts

Profile of mfeld
I think box magic can be troublesome because the box is just another prop. No layman has ever seen one before, so they don't know what to think, and I've found that often, no matter how much you let them examine the box, they'll assume later that everything you did was accomplished because the box was "special."

It is still possibly to do good okito box work, and I have one or two routines that generally play well for me, you just have to be careful how you introduce the box and how you treat it in front of laymen
Michael Feldman
www.michaelfeldman.com

Or follow me on Twitter - @magicianmike
And Instagram - @magicianmichaelfeldman

Check out my newest book with Ryan Plunkett: A New Angle
https://www.ryancplunkett.com/project/anewangle
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I think the box tricks, but I could understand the trouble. if the "trouble" really matter or not I'm not sure. maybe put a few pills in th box and dump them out without saying anything to empty the box. that might give the box some "purpose" outside of doing magic.

or just introduce the coin from the box to start. so some magic with them without the box and bring the box into the mix later.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I use the idea of cementing a combination lock dial on the top. Also, over the years, I've been lucky enough to find a trinket box or two that will work exactly like an okito box. Both of these ideas get away from the standard look of the box.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Agen it's how you frame it! I go back to the classic Pill box Patter! I have a book on coin box work that's shows what I am talking about!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Here's a link to a thread I started, http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=3&24
was hoping to get it made into a sticky, but never heard back from the Café staff.
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
wackyvorlon
View Profile
New user
Sarnia, ON, Canada
72 Posts

Profile of wackyvorlon
I have been practicing with the okito box itself(in my patter, I tell them it's a pillbox). The only difficulty I've had in working with it is that when I do the turnover move I have to watch my angles Smile
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Anyone interested in box magic should definitely check out Dave Neighbor's book on the subject. Great thinking in there! I will be publishing a book of routines probably around mid-year that I think will generate some new interest in the box. There is so much that can be done with this little prop - some wonderful plot ideas that I don't think have been explored. Also, the Hawaiian trade winds may be carrying something our way soon too . . .
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Quote:
On 2008-01-09 12:28, doug brewer wrote:
Anyone interested in box magic should definitely check out Dave Neighbor's book on the subject. Great thinking in there! I will be publishing a book of routines probably around mid-year that I think will generate some new interest in the box. There is so much that can be done with this little prop - some wonderful plot ideas that I don't think have been explored. Also, the Hawaiian trade winds may be carrying something our way soon too . . .

oh my, those guys stuff should be of great interest indeed....
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Does anyone know where I can acquire a silver okito box. Not a big fan of the gold style...
do magic

www.8bom.net
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Donny check your pm.

Justin N. Miller
phill w
View Profile
New user
York, England
14 Posts

Profile of phill w
Quote:
On 2008-01-08 14:32, mfeld wrote:
I think box magic can be troublesome because the box is just another prop. No layman has ever seen one before, so they don't know what to think, and I've found that often, no matter how much you let them examine the box, they'll assume later that everything you did was accomplished because the box was "special."

It is still possibly to do good okito box work, and I have one or two routines that generally play well for me, you just have to be careful how you introduce the box and how you treat it in front of laymen

This is so so true (in my opinion)!... Things are much more "magical" when tricks are done with something that is used and seen daily, coins, pack of cards etc etc...
A box to me will be seen as a "special prop" and that it all happened because of the "box"
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Not to be argumentative, but I think phill w's opinion holds more for the big stage illusions than anything. I'm not entirely sure I understand stage magic theory with the excessive use of large boxes for the magic to happen. But anyway, getting back to the Okito box, I've never had more than a passing interest from my audiences on "what" the box is. At least how I present it, it's nothing more than a container for the coins, much like a coin purse would be.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
After upgrading from my old "ugly" okito box to Shufton Okito Box I use it more.
Watch a photo of a superb design!
http://www.shufton.com/Magic/Okito_Box/okito_box.html
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hello,
I'm with Doug on this one. The same thing applies to/for me. Some people will question the box, some won't. With the Okito box, you can clearly and cleanly show it's solid. It then alleviates their suspicions.

I've found the same thing (off topic) that applies to Masudas WOW. Some people question the card holder, some don't. If you present it properly and treat it as thing of insignificance, and you can see through it after all, the routine works beautifully.

By the way, Doug has a great routine using the Okito box, called The Flying Stupendas on Unexpected Vistor 2. I really like it and perform it. Check it out.

Jim
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Granted, the Okito Box is not a normal, everyday item. That's not a bad thing. See David Regal's thoughts on the importance of an "Oddity". Since the box is an oddity that can be examined, yet still conveying you hidden powers, it's an especially good oddity.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
New to coins and was looking for a coin prop, I tried to avoid the okito box unti I seen beyond okito.. I haven't seen anything like it...easy to do

http://www.gmrcreations.com/bob/money.htm
J Rodriguez
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I can't help, but wonder why some people have trouble presenting odd looking coins or something such as an Okito Box. I never have any trouble at all, at least none the spectators share with me and the one thing I do is always look at their faces, especially their eyes, because then you can tell if there are problems, whether they say so or not. It is usually written all over their faces if they suspect anything or have a problem with the props.

My guess, if you have these kind of problems you are doing something seriously wrong. If this is the case, I believe you should look at your presentation techniques or style. In my particular case I usually warm up to the spectators by letting them examine the coins or play with the props while I use some patter to warm them up for whats coming next. Then I get into my routine mode and try to dazzle them. I am sure there are many ways to present your props properly, this just happens to be my way.

My theory is you should warm up to the crowd or individual before you spring a hairy routine on them. Sell them on the fact that these are the toys you will be using, so to speak, then let them examine them, let them see that they are real, let them feel their quality, shape and texture. In the meantime you should be preparing them with your patter for the upcoming attractions. I always do this an it always works just fine no matter what I am using for my props.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito box magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL