The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Confabulation Lottery Video Clip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Now the cat's out of the bag.

Thomas,

I felt that way because Christopher Carter told me nothing of how it was done other that to say he had NEVER seen anything like it before. Believe me I've done my research this last month or so, and found some of those other GREAT MINDS lottery routines. They were full of props and BS to accomplish, what I believe, was a weak trick...bags, balls, wallboard, nail guns! Of course I already have the Anthony Owen book on it's way to my doorstep. Although, Nate is not obligated to tell me where his version came from, but he did email me, and from what he typed, I would say this VERSION is his creation. But, Like I said, he wouldn't have to say to me, "Oh, that's Anthony Owen's...not mine!"

As for the hardware on his belt...I don't have the book yet, but I doubt it. When I get the book, I WILL admit it if I am wrong.

Nathan
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
As for his style...it is "stage Blaine with more personality"...therefore I believe a lot of guys around here would find it objectionable...some more of the green monster.

Nathan
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
The effect wowed me, but more importantly, it wowed his audience. In the end, isn't that what counts? - the aim is to entertain the audience he was performing for, and clearly Nate Staniforth successfully achieved that, even with a minimalist style.

Are there any known video clips of Anthony Owen's "Natural Lottery" being performed?
Christophercarter
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Christophercarter
Regardless of who originated the idea of a lottery prediction, I strongly believe it is unwise to speculate as to the method used on an open forum that can easily be googled. People who are amazed by Nate's performance may be inclined to seek out more information on him. It would be a shame for them to bump into this thread and receive the impression that this or that may be the explanation.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion about a particular performance. The approach used on this routine is clealy different from a one that would be used by a lot of more traditional performers, particularly those who do corporate events. All I can say is I've seen a lot of people take their more traditional ideas of showmanship to a college crowd and die the death. It is possible that, given his crowd, the choices he's making may be very right, even if not to your taste.
magicman02
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of magicman02
The Andrew olsen effect is similar to Nate but it isn't the same effect. I just read Andrew's and there is a slight but big difference
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 08:14, nathanpain wrote:
[...]
As for the hardware on his belt...I don't have the book yet, but I doubt it. When I get the book, I WILL admit it if I am wrong.

Quote:
On 2008-01-30 08:22, nathanpain wrote:
As for his style...it is "stage Blaine with more personality"...therefore I believe a lot of guys around here would find it objectionable...some more of the green monster.

Nathan

Nathan,

You are letting your blind devotion to this performer cloud your reading comprehension. I said the EFFECT was Anthony Owens' (also the basic presentation of having six random specs think of numbers, by the way). There are many different ways to accomplish "3Fly" (for example), but the basic effect is Chris Kenner's - get it?

Now... "green monster"? You know, Nathan, it IS possible for other magicians to not care for another's performance style without necessarily being jealous. The fact that you apparently worship this guy does not mean that anyone who doesn't is somehow "wrong".

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Thomas, all true what you say. By the way, Anthony Owen's routine is much more like Alan Shaxon's confabulation... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Geez louise...someone needs some fiber in their diet.

Nathan
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 01:56, ThomasBerger wrote:
To me there are 2 issues here-

performance
method

I would say the performance was not good.
This is a beginner, or a young performer.
There is not a lot of performance experience or
theory in this. No idea on building suspense or drama.

The effect is great.

Tom:

As is often the case, I agree with you that the performance was weak - imagine how the suspense could have been built, number selection after number selection, up to a dramatic climax!

"Blaine theatrics" is lacking and amateurish, no matter what the masses think.

But more importantly, this effect appears to me to be more of a closer than an opener, don't you think? Or perhaps part of the body of the programme, but not an opener - it isn't "quick" and "punchy" enough in my mind.

I'd love to see Max Maven perform this.

Comments, anyone?

Arnon
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
I agree with not opening with it Arnon.
Based on what I’ve read this was not an opener it was his closer. So it appears Nate also agrees. As for his performance the end result was accomplished and he has enough experience to control an audience. I thought he spoke with proper authority while giving directions.
Over all I say job well done. He is young and will only get better.
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
Arnon,
I agree with you on this.

That is exactly what I was thinking --
Imagine what someone else could do with this,
with some drama and suspense.
A killer effect.

I also think that it would be hard (more like impossible)
to follow this effect with a complete act.
Opening too strong can work against you,
because you have nowhere to go.

Cheers.
Tom
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
This IS his closer, as has been already stated.

Nathan
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 16:27, nathanpain wrote:
Geez louise...someone needs some fiber in their diet.

Nathan

Yes. So go get some already.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
This is a neat effect and I think that his particular style works well for him in the college arena where he performs.

FYI...the method for this effect has been published...I have it.

Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
NYC
752 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
SSShhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell!
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Firstly, I thought it was really lovely, a fantstic opener. I personally quite like his style, a very hands off piece, very laid back while remaining in control. It's pretty informal, and I think this work s for him, relaxes the audience, sets a tone. A Magic Act isn't all about tension. As far as I am concerned a good effect, relatively well presented. I appreciate some people may dislike the style, that much is obvious from the comments, but I do really like it.

Secondly, I don't believe the trick is predictable, very much a magicians chat. I don't think asking an audience for 6 numbers, in anyway tips what is about to happen. Why should it?

And finally, I thought some of you might be interested to learn that Derren Brown is doing something relatively similar in his current stage show. The basic plot goes that Derren Brown gets the spectator to call up a friend, and name any 3 numbers, DB gets it wrong, tries again, and again fails. He then gives the spectator a £10 note, that's been in "plain" sight the entire time, as a prize for "beating" him. The serial number of this note, are the 6 named number.
It's pretty fantastic ;p
Nick x
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
TW,

I am already getting enough fiber in my diet. You really should try it, be good to your colon and it will be good to you.

Nathan
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18033 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Is this the opener or the closer? I'm confused by what he's said.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The fiber goes in the opener and out the closer.
Why is that confusing?

Or is it the other way around?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
This is THEE CLOSER!!!

This is the opener. http://www.popsoda.com/twispopbotop.html

Nathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Confabulation Lottery Video Clip (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL