The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Spectator's Signature On The Bill (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Can anyone provide some resources on turning the signature on a bill into the spectator's name? I am not really looking for a method but more on looking for a way to get it to look decent.
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
When you introduce yourself ask the persons name... do a few tricks etc. They will forget they told you the name. Whilst doing the tricks, at some point you will have an excuse to turn around (i.e. whilst they sign a card etc.) At this point, get the bill out and write their name on it. Then get them to sign a second bill in the same area and do a bill switch. Tada. Smile
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Method is not what I am in search of. It is getting the signature to look good on the bill as if it was printed. I have seen some really good versions of this but I cannot get the writing to look good enough.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
You might be talking about the effect by Paul Harris that David Blaine did on one of his T.V. specials. It is called "Counterfeit Spectator and goes like this: On a borrowed dollar bill, the printed signature of the Treasurer of the United States transforms into the spectator's name."

It is from Vol. 2 of the AoA books.

Corey
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
I didn't see Blaine perform it but I have ran across the concept several times. I have just never found any tips on getting the signature to look "printed" or even close. Does "Art of Astonishment" go into further detail regarding getting the proper look of the signature?

Thanks for the lead. I will have to follow-up.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Sibbie,

I am not sure exactly what you are going for. Check out the AoA book, Vol. 2, and see if that fits what you are looking for.

A question for you... Have you had spectators be upset that it did not look like it was printed? Or, is this an issue that YOU have with the effect?

I, for one, have never had any issue with this. Everyone I have performed this for has loved it. I can only assume that they keep the bill as a souvenir, as it is a powerful effect.

I wish you all the best of luck in finding the perfect effect for this. I think Paul Harris's is going to be just what you are looking for.

Take care,

Corey
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 12:03, Spydur wrote:
A question for you... Have you had spectators be upset that it did not look like it was printed? Or, is this an issue that YOU have with the effect?

Completely me! Smile

It may be my handwriting as well, but I just cannot get it to look proper to me. Maybe I need to get over it and try it and see what happens once or twice.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Honestly, just erase the signature and TYPE it on there with a cursive font.

Jeff
phase27
View Profile
Loyal user
Tx
228 Posts

Profile of phase27
Sibbie,

I used to have the same problem and couldn't get it to look right. If I was you, I would check out Daniel Garcia's "Fraud" DVD and apply the concept to that. If you have Fraud, PM me and I can help you out. It really looks like the real thing if you do it that way.

Matt

P.S. For me, I found that old dollar bills work the best for this effect because it looks more natural and worn in.
"Life is only as good as the memories we make..." -K.Roe
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Arlington, Texas
577 Posts

Profile of Kex
Any suggestions on the prep work before you add the signature? I can't seem to get the first signature off without making the bill look doctored. Just curious. AoA2 doesn't really give much info on it.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Just use a pencil eraser Kex.

sibbie: type their signature on your computer in size 8 typeface. Switch the font to Amazone BT or Amazone Script. Hit print. Put the bill over the signature and line up the signature with where you want it to be. Tape the bill to the page put the page back in the printer, and hit print again.

BAM, the signature is printed on the bill.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
fastmagic
View Profile
New user
Idaho
46 Posts

Profile of fastmagic
I've done this trick a few times before, but to me it seems like fraud has a little better impact, but that might just be how I am presenting the effects. How do you guys present the signature effect? any patter ideas?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 12:03, Spydur wrote:
Sibbie,

I am not sure exactly what you are going for. Check out the AoA book, Vol. 2, and see if that fits what you are looking for.

I, for one, have never had any issue with this. Everyone I have performed this for has loved it. I can only assume that they keep the bill as a souvenir, as it is a powerful effect.

I wish you all the best of luck in finding the perfect effect for this. I think Paul Harris's is going to be just what you are looking for.

Take care,

Corey

AoA is really detailed in how to do it. I searched and searched to find the pen they specified. My problem was that, after all my hard work to make the signature look "official" the spectator replied "Hey! That's not my handwriting!"

No matter how good you make it look, any spectator is going to know their own handwriting from a forgery. I don't really see any way around that problem. (*sigh*) Back to the old drawing board.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Spectator's Signature On The Bill (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL