We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 3 fly routine? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Hmm when iv talked to chad on the phone I didn;t hear jon whispering in the background.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
I think we need a new forum on the Café....We can call it "Let's Get Ready to Rumble"......for anyone looking for a fight.
Wes
Michael Wells
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Michael Wells
Good idea, and: how about an ultra-polite forum where people go out of their way to treat each other with respect?
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2008-01-12 17:22, Joshua Barrett wrote:
Hmm when iv talked to chad on the phone I didn;t hear jon whispering in the background.

Yeah, but did you hear a light little tinkling of a bell? 'Cause you know that's what Tinkerbell sounds like.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
I can't see why people would want to come on this forum and disrespect others,this is a magic forum where we share ideas ,finding information concerning the art..but hey what do I know ? I guess we are just human after all.
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Quote:
Chad, you are truly an expert at what bible scholars call a "proof search" - wherein people search the bible for "proof" of their contentions, all the while ignoring anything that might contradict what they want to prove.
TW

Actually, just because this thread as become ridiculous once again, let me add another correction, especially since it is in quotes. "Proof Search" is not the phrase. It is called, "Proof Texting" or "Proof-texts."

Just to keep things on the up and up, and using correct phrases where needed. Cause we all know how it is so important, especially in fantastic and uplifting threads as this one.

RevJohn
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2008-01-12 21:18, RevJohn wrote:
Actually, just because this thread as become ridiculous once again, let me add another correction, especially since it is in quotes. "Proof Search" is not the phrase. It is called, "Proof Texting" or "Proof-texts."

Just to keep things on the up and up, and using correct phrases where needed. Cause we all know how it is so important, especially in fantastic and uplifting threads as this one.

RevJohn

Yes, thank you; you are correct - though I have usually seen it spelled as one word ("prooftext" or "prooftexting"). "Proof search" is a term used in mathematics and logic - I was a math major in college - and I misspoke (or, to use the technical term, "brainfarted").

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Chad has done very well in this thread and has shown much more restraint then I would perhapse.

Chad has done his homework and has proven that he knows what he is talking about. I don't know how long he has been involved in magic but even if it is a year or two he has shown a strong urge to study the history of magic and his journey in magic will be all the better for that urge.

I have been involved in magic for 30 plus years I can say studying the history is even more exciting then learning a new move or buying a new effect.

Good work Chad and keep it up!

Randy
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Not to derail this thread, but Mike Ammar solved the problem of the last coin LONG ago, in his Topit book: see "Coins Across Ending."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I vaguely recall the Ammar thing - same book as the nice use of the Bertram clip right? Been over twenty years since I've seen the book - did he have the fan out and then show that the coin had arrived into it?

In a way, Roth solved it as well via a Slydini drop and his Lapel coin though not sure such has been explored in this context. Imagine using the Sylvester pitch action on the way to the lapel to load up - then showing the coin up at the lapel and continuing down (okay it's a going to be a palm down action) and then making the transit at the next beat -?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
What problem? is there really a problem with the third coin?.... where have I been?

WZ.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
WU - not all of us are happy with our methods for getting that last coin to vanish.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 20:12, WU wrote:
What problem? is there really a problem with the third coin?.... where have I been?

WZ.

I would say that while there are some good ways to "manage" the problem, it would be nice to eliminate it.
Wes
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
To the original poster--read the Sept 2006 issue of Genii for Jonathan Townsend's remarkable description of his 3-fly routine. It's rare to have such a detailed write-up of the psychology, performance, and creation of a routine. A real model of magic teaching in the written mode.

As for the rest of this thread . . . I'm astounded that a member on this board can make the kind of claims that TW makes about another without any proof. The one time in my life that I wish I were Steve Brooks.

Yeah, Townsend coached me on this too.

Disgusted,
Jack Shalom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 3 fly routine? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL