The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Hold outs for candles, coins, balls, etc... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andrew H.
View Profile
Regular user
Elizabethton,TN
124 Posts

Profile of Andrew H.
My main focus for this post is to find a candle hold out. I also love manipulation and would like to see what kind of products are on the market to aid in holding out different manipulation items.

Thanks,
Andrew
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hi, Andrew:

I use Fantasio appearing candles, and to make my holdout, you'll need to visit my favourite Magic shoppe -- WalMart. Get a safety pin (about a buck for a pack) and a bobby pin (or hairpin, the type with little rubber tips). You'll also need wire cutters, the type once known as "dikes" in less politically correct times. You've probably got those already.

Thread the bobby pin through the non-moving portion of the safety pin, and cut off the rubber tips. Pin the apparatus inside your jacket or vest, then slide the straight portion of the Fantasio plastic clip into the pin. It's now ready for a quick steal when needed.
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
"you'll need to visit my favourite magic shoppe -- WalMart."

I LOL-ed at that , Leland !
Thanks I needed that . HAHA!
Andrew H.
View Profile
Regular user
Elizabethton,TN
124 Posts

Profile of Andrew H.
Ive tried that version. It works pretty good, Im looking for other options too...I know some of you old timers have ideas...So please pass the knowledge on.

Andrew
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Necessity is the mother of invention. There is more wisdom in Leland's post than a safety pin and a bobby pin. Some of us old-timers got off our butt's and created what we needed to make something work. Why is that not still an option?

Of course I could always suggest you start with the accessories section of any dealer's catalog, but that wouldn't be free enough, I'm sure.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
241 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I have used Leland's idea for years. They work great. I find that the bobby pin needs to be replaced after awhile as they become loose. I have never cut off the ends though.

Regards,
Jim
Andrew H.
View Profile
Regular user
Elizabethton,TN
124 Posts

Profile of Andrew H.
Not looking free! I’m looking to get others "opinion" on this subject. This is a problem that I’m seeing in the magic community these days. Young guys ask a simple question and get a smart comment back. Yes, trying to make something work is great, but why reinvent the wheel when there are many old pros that can help the young guys out.
I am a young magician looking for dvice not handouts!
Sincerely,

Andrew Hyder
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2008-01-11 22:40, Andrew H. wrote:
Not looking free! I’m looking to get others "opinion" on this subject.

The irony being that opinions are usually free...

Quote:
This is a problem that I’m seeing in the magic community these days. Young guys ask a simple question and get a smart comment back.

A problem these days, as opposed to which other days you'd care to enlighten us on?

Quote:
Yes, trying to make something work is great, but why reinvent the wheel when there are many old pros that can help the young guys out.

No one has asked you to reinvent the wheel. But why should they give you their's just because you asked the "old timers" to pass the knowledge on? Further, why should they do that after your insinuation that smart *** answers is what old pros give to simple questions asked by young magicians? You are certainly making a lot of assumptions yourself.

The magic community, which I have been a part of for quite a long time, is the most giving bunch of people I have ever known. Any of us who have reached any point along their own personal path, did so with the help of others. But anyone of them will tell you that they would not have been allowed to help themselves to someone else's feast, had they not brought something to the table themselves.

Quote:
I am a young magician looking for advice not handouts!

You just got your wish.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Andrew,

Tim Sonefelt has a great little book on hold outs he has made. He even tells you how to make them. He has candle holders, cane holders, silk, etc. The book is called "Hold It" for $20.00. His website is http://www.timsonefelt.com

Another good resource is Fantasio's great book on candles and canes called "My Canes and Candles". There is also some good info for holders.

I have tried some of the bobbie pin and safety pin arrangements with less than the desired results.

Hope that helps.

David
Andrew H.
View Profile
Regular user
Elizabethton,TN
124 Posts

Profile of Andrew H.
Dave,

Thanks for the post. I wasn't aware that "Hold It" was even on the market. I’m glad that you didn’t find me offensive and understood what I was asking…

Thank You,
Andrew
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Andrew,
As a very young magician, I had some of the greats of the era, for who knows what reason, took an interest and help me out a lot.

But, they only helped, after I'd showed I'd gone as far as I could myself.
They gave me the world, and I feel I need to give back too...
but they made life very tough too,
so I'd appreciate their tips and wisdom.

Feel free to ask questions, but also realize you'll hear opinions.

Pay your dues, we'll give you all we can...
but then after the dues are earned.
My thoughts,
Walt
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Walt,

Very wise. I could have not said it better myself.

David
Andrew H.
View Profile
Regular user
Elizabethton,TN
124 Posts

Profile of Andrew H.
Thanks Gentlemen,

I do understand what you're saying. In my area there is not a lot of Magicians to go to for help, to be honest a lot of them come to me. I have to get advice where I can. My apologies if I came on too strong. I was only asking a question and did not intend it for to turn it a debate

Andrew
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Good stuff here, Magi, and as usual I've learned more than I've helped (I'm gonna have to check into that "Hold It" book).

Welcome to the Caf�, Andrew -- you'll find it's a great resource! Don't worry about starting debates, 'cause they're what make the dialogues here FUN Smile The only difficulty is knowing when these mooks are being on the level or when they're just being a smart @ss -- you know, written words without vocal inflection or body language sometimes look more harsh than they're intended.

Leland
Andrew H.
View Profile
Regular user
Elizabethton,TN
124 Posts

Profile of Andrew H.
Leland,

I went back and worked with the bobby pin set up and got it working pretty good. Took your method and what I was using, as if by magic it worked great...THANKS.
As for this post Im still looking around for hold out Ideas, books, etc. This is a subject that I really want to do some research on so if anyone has any more ideas, I'M all ears...

Thanks,
Andrew
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Do you have the Fantasio book? Are you looking for a true holdout (remove and retreive objects) or just a retriveal or acquistion device? It makes a big difference.

It also depends how your act runs. What preceeds it, what follows it, what is your table situation, what are the body loads, etc. I know it may sound vague but it really is important to the sequencing and acquistion of the candles.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I Make most of my holdouts. I typicallly think about what Im doing and where I whant it to be at. the rest kind of follows suit. Hold outs tend to work best when they are made by the individual as you are the one using them. Some of my favorite materials are made useing hair stylist clips. Booby pins. and of course the requist anchor device The saftey pin.
Andrew H.
View Profile
Regular user
Elizabethton,TN
124 Posts

Profile of Andrew H.
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 20:45, hugmagic wrote:
Do you have the Fantasio book? Are you looking for a true holdout (remove and retreive objects) or just a retriveal or acquistion device? It makes a big difference.

No I do not have Fantasio's book, but it sounds like I need get quick...As forthe second question, A little of both. Im exploring retriveal devices and true hold outs. Im trying to get a well rounded knowledge of the subject.
Thanks Mr. Huges.

Andrew
Andrew H.
View Profile
Regular user
Elizabethton,TN
124 Posts

Profile of Andrew H.
Ok...So what about coins gents.
McBride uses a ball holder. Know there are some marketed items and I have some but what else can be used???
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bankers Clips are available in office supply store. Bulldog clips can also work.

For stacks of coins, use plastic film cans with a clip over the open end.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Hold outs for candles, coins, balls, etc... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL