The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Rubber covers (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2555 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
The search function doesn't seem to be working so I've not been able to check to see if this has been mentioned before.

Does anyone know of any dealers supplying rubber wine glass covers?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers Neal.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Why don't you make your own?

Get a balloon of appropriate size and cut off the nozzle (neck). The open end should still be smaller than the widest diameter.

Stretch it over the wine glass you plan to use. Now run a thin coat of rubber cement around the opening of the balloon and up about 1/2" - 3/4". Carefully roll the edge of the balloon up, forming a new reinforced nozzle in the process (like a condom). You should apply more cement to the surface that was the inside of the balloon, as rubber cement sticks best to itself. Just a couple turns in rolling should be enough. Don't make the lip too thick, or it will be harder to stretch later.

When it's set and dry, pop it off and it's ready to use again.

If it is hard to pop off, you didn't roll up close enough to the top of the glass (this may require cutting a new balloon, so you don't finish with a too thick lip). If it pops off prematurely, you may have rolled too close to the edge, or the wine glass is the wrong shape.

Rubber covers work best on wine glasses that flare out at the mouth, rather than turning inward. These covers hold very nicely, once you have the hang of making them, and they have a nice lip to grab under cover of a silk, so they pop off easily, too.

The whole process is very easy and very cheap to do, and you can make several in just a few minutes.

Experiment with a couple different balloon sizes to find ones that work well with the size glass you intend to use.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Michael!

It was great of you to give detailed instructions to this chap,
and anyone else who needs a run of covers.

I just went you your shop website, and wow, you have
some $)%(*&@! nice stuff on there! Good work!

I may just have to have you make me a table or box someday.

Magically,
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It would be my pleasure! Thank you for the $)%(*&@! kind words! Smile

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2555 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Thanks for the info Michael. In my original post I was going to say please don't tell me to make my own but I'm glad I didn't. you're description of how to go about this seems pretty complete and straight forward. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Thanks again, Neal (and Walt's right you've got some great stuff on your site)
Neal Austin

indomagic
View Profile
Special user
911 Posts

Profile of indomagic
There is new version called KANPAI, which said no need to use cover. I am keen to hear more about this item too.
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Great information from Michael (as usual - he is what I like to call an "EF Hutton" of magic - when he talks people listen).
The only thing that I would add would be to make sure that you "burp" the covers to let the air out. It enhances the seal enormously.

Scott
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hey, Scott! I'll take that in the spirit intended, even though EF Hutton is long gone in the world of business. Ha-ha!

Burping the seal is good for magic and Tupperware. Ditto what he said!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Guess it shows my age, my friend!
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hey, Scott!! You and me both, I guess! I knew what you meant! Ha-ha!!

BTW, Neal... how are those rubber covers coming??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2555 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
It's still on my list of things to do...gonna have a go at it tomorrow.

Neal
Neal Austin

Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2555 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Partial success.

I think I need to get much bigger balloons than I've got to hand. (ooh err)Will seek some out and have another go.

Neal
Neal Austin

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
11" - 12" balloon should be good for a glass mouth of about 2".
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2555 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Wadda ya know... my old suppier of rubber covers had stopped trading (retired) but there he was at Blackpool with a dealers stand and a bag of rubber covers. Bought all he had sp hopefully they'll last me for the next 'n' number of years. Smile

Neal
Neal Austin

MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1382 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Kanpai uses a rubber cover. Anybody have the effect? I have it but wanted to know if anyone has had and success with using any other covers... such as the balloon method.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
Paul_Rheaume
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Paul_Rheaume
Greetings: There is another way to make covers. I used to produce a glass of wine from my hat (while dressed as W C Fields). The cover that you made was foe a stemmed wine glass(mine was widest at the rim and tapered down to the stem). I started by filling the glass with clay to make it solid and even with the rim. I would dip the glass into liqued latex. after it sets up, I addad a tab(plastic) that hung over the edge and dipped fur a second time. The finished cover fit perfect and could be popped off with a flip of the thumb. it held well enough to hold the full glass suspended from a wire attached to the thumb tab.
Paun
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-04-04 16:49, xjesterx wrote:
Kanpai uses a rubber cover. Anybody have the effect? I have it but wanted to know if anyone has had and success with using any other covers... such as the balloon method.

It is not a rubber cover, it's a plastic cover. The plastic makes it slip off with ease. It does look like rubber. If it was rubber, there would more time needed to reveal the glass of liquid because of the grip.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2555 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Would you believe it I found another bag of rubber covers that I'd bought some years ago! I didn't even know I had them and having come across them I do now have the faintest memory trace of putting them away for safe keeping...think I've got enough now to last me a lifetime.

The rubber looks in good nick too. I obviously thought to have them well 'talced' (new word?)before storing them away and erasing them from my mind.

Thanks for the help though guys. It's the forum at it's best. Anyone know how long rubber stays good for if kept talced and in the dark? Is there anything else that can be done to ensure their longevity? I'm assuming avoiding any extremes of temperature helps.

Cheers agsin,

Neal
Neal Austin

DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
David Stone has an interesting way of doing this, he demonstrated it in his lecture. If anyone is looking for a cheap alternative, his method seems to be solid.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
I'm late to this discussion of rubber covers, but I wonder if anyone has suggestions on creating a rubber cover for the Al Baker rice bowls. No one seems to be selling the effect these days, but I would like to find or make a cover to work on the routine.

Thanks in advance.
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Rubber covers (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL