The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Turf fights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Woah! I'm so glad I'm a little "weekend warrior" in this little town!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I got caught in the middle of a turf war in Boston. I was with the evil wife and talking to the fellow who had the pitch and another guy comes running up taking photos and saying the police are coming etc.. They started screaming at each other and I figured that was a good time to leave.
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
Fighting turtles!
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Touche Turtle with his bent sword

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=touche+turtle

or the teenaged mutant ninja turtles with their really big Ninja weapons?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=TMNT
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2008-01-15 08:34, Danny Hustle wrote:
I LIKE TURTLES!

Thank you Danny!
Will the madness stop?
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Quote:
On 2008-01-09 18:35, gaddy wrote:
I've had some trouble with this, I'm still pretty new to street performing, it's the slow season here in San Francisco, and have already had a few encounters with this particular aspect of busking.

Ultimately, I've always backed down and packed it in when it started to get uncomfortable. Some annoying behaviors I've encountered: The "Who's in this spot next" guy, The guy who paces back and forth right outside your edge during your show, the "Hey, this is MY spot" guy (when you've been there for 3 hours, the guy who sets up 5 feet away from you and blasts a ghetto blaster, and finally the guy who comes but and knocks down your table between shows...

What are some of your experiences with this? How do you deal with it?

I've heard you should never fight over a pitch... but I got somethin to add Dude, Never ever get into it with a "christian" / some guy Open - air preaching in the street

Posted: Jan 15, 2008 11:41pm
I say that because they aren't all sweet an innoccent and "Christian" like you would think and if you **** one off, you gotta deal with a lot of em This post has not been Grammarized
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-01-15 23:37, G.Gilbert wrote:
I've heard you should never fight over a pitch... but I got somethin to add

Dude, Never ever get into it with a "christian" / some guy Open - air preaching in the street

I certainly don't know what you mean...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Never fight over a pitch, I add if you can help it. The Problem with this is sooner than later their wont be any place you could work.

Working is vital if you live of your shows, so this is what is happening some one breaks into your home and is stealing your money. All that is OK I just move house. I don't think so, the fight begins in the mind. First of you get better security allarm perhaps, all a big ugly dog called butch. Thier is no point getting killed over a few coins but if you put out the message that your not an easy pick that is half of the battle.

On the streets you don't know who your dealing with but remember they don't as well.
The chances are if they giving you trouble then they have giving others trouble as well. This is true when it comes down to this german. So I am a freand to every performer on the streets, the mine artist, juggerlers, pavement artist, street traders, beggers, street cleaners, shop assitants, Police, and every person that sees my show, every one else is German. You see I am a lot bigger than he thinks. I belong their because of reputation, I am not looking to give any one a hard time but rather I want to make them smile. So if he is going to mess with me he is going to mess with every one. This is a battle of the minds but bare in mind anyone that behaves in this manner has got poor bussiness sence. They are just bad news. The streets will be better off with out them. Now if you care about the place you work are you going to surrender it to a conpleate ass? I am not suggesting that you die over your pitch. Asses what thier game is are they just bullying you playing with you mind, trying to scare you off. All are they a real danger. If thier a real danger remember they are a real danger to every one that walks by, so your not alone he is. We are talking about a real ass that does not care about anyone but them selfs and worse to that they are just a time bomb waiting to go off. I can not live by that rule, I am a street performer because I am a free man. I am not the best street performer by a long shot but I am free spirited man that will do his thing as far as I can. I don't like organised pitches I will work them some times but I don't like them, I don't beleave in, this is my pitch, I beleave in first come first served. Say you visit a city where your local performers have it all and thier is no room for you. This happened to me when I went to Victoria Canada,very nice buch of folk but they are ruled by the powers in that place, no room in the inn. Now in my mind the spirit of street perfoming is lost, they may be top class performers and perhaps better at bussiness as well, they may have huge circle shows but that is not what makes a street performer. In my mind a street performer is able to come and go he is free to roam this planet, he is free spirited and the whole world is his stage. To me that is where the battle begings in the heart of your mind. Let some take that from you then you then you right thier is nothing worth fighting for. Now don't get me wroung I am not saying pitches should never be organised I just saying to me that is not the spirit of street performing.
Mario
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-01-16 12:37, G.Gilbert wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSwD2yKRPWA

These guys

I still like the story The Mighty Fool told about performing against one of these guys. At one point the evanglist shouted out "My Lord and Savior" and TMF called back; "I told you never to call me that in public!"
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I tell them I like Turtles!

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Turf fights (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL