The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Hypnotist with Illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
533 Posts

Profile of RSD
I would like to add an illusion to my hypnotist show. My first passion has been illusions, but I was never able to get to that level as a magician. As, a hypnotist I'm getting enough bookings, and can realistically include them in my show. I already have a chair suspension. Now it's time to add an opener or closer. I was thinking of an apperance or disappearance. This are my condidtions; It cant look like it just came from the magic factory; Priced up to $6000; can fit into a rather large van; and I don't need any on stage assistants.

For those questioning my motivations...1) It's a personal joy. 2) It's something to potentially upsell.

This is just a starting point to spawn a converstation. What would you include in such a show?
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
237 Posts

Profile of ns
The chair suspension is a natural, I guess that's why it's done by several hypnotists. I'd love to see a real levitation done. Also there are methods of cutting a person in two that would work.

As an opener Marshall Sylver appears from a fire table. It works for him
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1718 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Perform over 150 corporate Hypnosis shows a year & use Magic & Illusion in each show, adds so much as a spectacle & a professional show to be marketed for higher paying clients

First 2 shows of the year are tonite & tomorrow at Wine Vineyard & local town hall-tomorrows is sold out! Many posts here from me will give you an idea as to what we show
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
I've never been a huge fan of magic in a hypnosis show. I mean absolutely no disrespect to you, Brent McLeod, or anyone else who does magic and hypnosis in the same show. To me, it's always seemed like magic in a hyp show cheapens the hypnosis. People know magic isn't "real"....for the most part, they understand there is a secret working behind it. When magic is combined w/ hypnosis, it suggests that there might be a "magic trick" to hypnosis such as stooges, etc. I think it bumps hypnosis down to a lower level of credibility. Again, I mean no disrespect. But, being an illusionist, I can totally relate to your passion for the big rigs. If you are going to do magic in a hypnosis show, and assuming you're on stage, I would suggest a production of yourself to open the show, which could be followed up by a vanish at the end -- "bookends", of sorts.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1718 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2008-01-11 23:14, briansmagic wrote:
I've never been a huge fan of magic in a hypnosis show. I mean absolutely no disrespect to you, Brent McLeod, or anyone else who does magic and hypnosis in the same show. To me, it's always seemed like magic in a hyp show cheapens the hypnosis. People know magic isn't "real"....for the most part, they understand there is a secret working behind it. When magic is combined w/ hypnosis, it suggests that there might be a "magic trick" to hypnosis such as stooges, etc. I think it bumps hypnosis down to a lower level of credibility. Again, I mean no disrespect. But, being an illusionist, I can totally relate to your passion for the big rigs. If you are going to do magic in a hypnosis show, and assuming you're on stage, I would suggest a production of yourself to open the show, which could be followed up by a vanish at the end -- "bookends", of sorts.

The magic we do from corporate client feedback we get adds to the show!
The magic is top stuff -no kids show rubbish here & as you say is only at the beginning for 10-12 mins max, lots of comedy & some mindblowing entertainment forthe audience

The audience all know there is a magic segment at the start then the real serious stuff starts-The Hypnosis & again the audience is well aware of this

The way we format the shows this works well

The end line is Entertainment & that's what we aim to give, the show is so fast Bam, Bam ,Bam, the audiences are blown away going Wow that was great!All done to music-no talking as it would kill the show!!!! prior to Hypnosis

From the other perspective I have seen way to many serious Hypnotists who have a crap slow moving talking show, taking 30-40 mins before the first serious skits-unreal as we all fall asleep!! watching & make sure they are the main figure in every skit hogging the limelight instead of letting the subjects be the stars, so works both ways-Hence why our shows are offered as Entertainment packages that are easily marketed.

3 international hypnotist acts
that toured here with well know names on TV shows etc they have cancelled 3 out of 6 shows nationally, as they didn't know the market-we followed with previous bookings in the 3 towns they cancelled & have sold out-why!!!-Because we have an event-that just happens to include Magic at the start!! & appeals

Works for us -Everyone is different which is fine!! But I do agree also that depending on who is doing magic & what is shown it could cheapen the Hypnosis! for others shows etc

Thanks for the reply......... Good Points
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
493 Posts

Profile of reynold
BRIAN:
I am 110% with you. Magic takes away the credibility for the hypnosis show. Is like having magic and the a serious spoon bending routine.

Thanks,
Reynold
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1718 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I know over a dozen Hypnotists who tour the world & open every show with a Magic effect-not an Illusion, some use a crystal casket appearance etc but most use something Like B,Wave etc but its still magic in a hypnosis show!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Hypnotist with Illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL