The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg Which Fake egg to buy? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I use a cheap egg that I discovered in a Wal Mart Magic kit! It works fantastic, and I will tell you why. I reaveal the trick to the audience and then invite a member up to perform it for the audience, then finish with the surprise ending. So if you are going to reaveal the secret anyways then why does it matter about the quality?

Try a red plastic easter egg and paint it flat white, or leave it red for a funnier routine!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Charles,

I understand saving money. You are always more likely to see me in Wal-Mart or Dollar Tree than a jewelry store. However, I think in the case of Silk to Egg you are robbing yourself of presentation benefits by not using a very convincing gimmicked egg.

First unless it looks like a real egg, going from silk to egg won't carry much surprise. People know that you can't put a silk into a real egg. Fake eggs are made to be filled. Part of the surprise is that it is not a real egg after all!

Secondly, when you do produce the real egg and it doesn't look at all like the last egg you showed, immediately the audience knows the switch has taken place. They are busy looking for the first egg rather than following the trick. Part of the surprise of the fake hole and the real egg are lost. That is the real strength of the effect. Otherwise, just use a ping pong ball. It couldn't reduce the surprise of the trick any more.

The heart of Silk to Egg is convincing the audience that the egg is real TWICE!

Therefore, it is critical that the fake egg be impossible to tell from the real egg ultimately produced.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Bob sells a great silk to egg set of eggs in both white and brown. I bought both from him at TAOM and they are the best ones I've ever worked with. Feel is great, look is great. Handling is quite good as well.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2008-10-22 16:39, Bob Sanders wrote:
Charles,

I understand saving money. You are always more likely to see me in Wal-Mart or Dollar Tree than a jewelry store. However, I think in the case of Silk to Egg you are robbing yourself of presentation benefits by not using a very convincing gimmicked egg.

First unless it looks like a real egg, going from silk to egg won't carry much surprise. People know that you can't put a silk into a real egg. Fake eggs are made to be filled. Part of the surprise is that it is not a real egg after all!

Secondly, when you do produce the real egg and it doesn't look at all like the last egg you showed, immediately the audience knows the switch has taken place. They are busy looking for the first egg rather than following the trick. Part of the surprise of the fake hole and the real egg are lost. That is the real strength of the effect. Otherwise, just use a ping pong ball. It couldn't reduce the surprise of the trick any more.

The heart of Silk to Egg is convincing the audience that the egg is real TWICE!

Therefore, it is critical that the fake egg be impossible to tell from the real egg ultimately produced.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

I just received my silk to egg stage and walk around version from Bob, and I must say it is definitely one of the best I have ever used.

Tomorrow will be the first chance for me to put it to use, and I will post more on the reactions, and how they differ from the original egg that I was using. I am sure the reactions will be much greater using Bob's realistic looking eggs.

Thanks Bob

Chaz
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I put it to use Thursday, and the reactions were much better than when using the cheap plastic egg.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Chaz,

That's great! An egg prop should be all it's cracked up to be. LOL

(You did find the plastic carrying case? Dollar Tree will have thousands of them in a few more weeks. They work!)

Thanks for giving it a try and reporting back here on The Magic Café. This egg keeps the audience sure that the egg is real all the time.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
We've now managed to get Bob's Silk to Egg (Walk Around version) into some Canadian brick and mortar shops, Kind of Magic in Kitchener/Waterloo, Morrissey Magic in Toronto and Browsers Den in Toronto. Just ask for the Walk Around Silk to Egg from Dovelite or Chameleon Fabrications (in Canada).

Everyone who looks at these eggs is impressed with how realistic they look and feel. Thanks Bob.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2008-11-10 12:31, RJE wrote:
Everyone who looks at these eggs is impressed with how realistic they look and feel. Thanks Bob.

You're not kidding about that! They are so realistic I think you could fool a hen with them! Smile
Mister Mystery
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2989 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Any opinions on the new Mark Wilson version, available at Hocus-Pocus?
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I have only seen the ads for the Mark Wilson Alakazam Silk to Egg and not the actual product, so I cannot refer to its quality.

Mark Wilson is an icon in magic and I respect him for that. However, I cannot see many people paying $80.00 US (over $100.00 Canadian) for a silk to egg effect.

There are the cheapo beginner versions of shiny plastic available for $10 to $20.

Then there are the exceptionally realistic version, such as the one Bob manufactures. The Walk Around version includes 2 special eggs and every version includes 2 quality silks. These are more expensive than the cheapos and no where near as expensive as the Mark Wilson version.

So, I would see it something like this.

If you are a beginner or are not overly concerned with the look or quality of your egg and silk, buy the cheapo.

If you are a pro, like quality and having an egg that looks and feels real to both you and your audience, buy the set made by someone like Bob Sanders.

If, you wish to have a practical piece of magical history put out by a magical icon, then buy the routine put out by Mark Wilson.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2989 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Great analysis, RJE. Thanks.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thank you, RJE!

I think this will help a lot of people who are looking for something for their collection or to put into their show. The needs can be very different.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg Which Fake egg to buy? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL