The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Stop a child and you stop the world... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
This opening bit has gone through many changes. This little video is the latest evolution.

I begin my draw with a modified version of what Don Driver demonstrates in his Building a Tip Bally DVD. It moves into some version of this routine to get the first few people to stop...and then the show goes on from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPt6Z083fE

Please offer your critiques!

Chad
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Id say stay away from producing the "poop" at the end or the general potty humor.... I like the idea. I know that this is a living room performance but heres a small list of thoughts for when actually performing.

1. After you stop the kid announce that you are going to make the child a balloon animal and then you will start the show. Now be as entertaining as you can so people will be getting a show even though they think the "real" show hasn't started. Speak to everyone not just the child.

2. If your going to bother to draw eyes on the thing then you might as well have some sort of joke about the marker or do something interesting with it. Just to add some texture. It will also help eliminate the, "ok, wait while I finish this" feeling.

3. Consider using a red sponge ball in place of a red balloon bubble. This way you can go into a quick sponge ball effect ending with the "I hold one you hold one" 2 ball finish to get some applause. Then quickly move into the show.

Just thoughts, let me know if any of that hit ya'.

Anton
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
I really enjoyed it :] thought it was cute..
id love to see more
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Thanks for responding Anton & George!

Your first suggestiong Anton is exactly how I run that bit...great minds think alike!

The marker is my excuse to load each hand with a billiard ball. If you watch again, I load the left hand when I bring the pen out and remove the cap, and I load the second hand as I return the pen. So...I could make more jokes while doing the drawings...but my hands are too full to manipulate the pen! Smile

I've used sponge balls for this bit in the past. I've actually gone through a couple of sets of Gosh Sponge Mult. Billiard Balls with various versions of this bit. However, in its current form I'm using my shirt as a t@p!t and sponge won't work for that. Perhaps I'll go back to sponge again one day...it's fun to experiment, that's for sure!

Hey, I really appreciate you both for commenting. After my rude and disrespectful post to Jimmy while inebriated the other day...I was hesitant to post this vid on this site. However, I feel like posting this is part of my penance. Whether I was sober or not, I said what I said and I gotta be a man about things.

I am not in any way trying to compare myself or my abilities to Jimmy. When sober, there are few if any who would. I just felt that so long as my shameful comments stay in cyberspace, there had ought to be something of me out there for people to judge me on. It's only fair if your head is as twisted as mine...
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
I don't think anyone was mad about lashing out over at buskers .. that's why I love that forum.. Smile... I just hope I never **** you off lol

Oh yeah man and that thing where you apparently eat the wand was really cool... be careful you don't whack yaself in the face when doin the move though Heheheh

more please -=D
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
As a note.... as a general rule the best weekend warrors cannot scratch the best full time guys. Its just how it is there are always the exception...but its rare.

But yah your comment seemed to go under the radar a bit

Anton
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
I thought it was perfect. extremely original which is certainly a breath of fresh air.

I'd like to see it in action on the street.

what a great character.

chad, I can't wait till you post another one.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Great Chad. Keep the potty humor in. If people don't like it, it can be a perfect opportunity for them to show to the rest of the community how "important and upstanding" they are and they can leave.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I agree with Jimmy, like the character, low key and very nice for the wee-ones and not a scary jerk like me.

:)
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Thanks all. Honestly, your feedback is really important to me. My style of busking is very child oriented yet I keep to the non gimmicked sleights to wow the paying audience.

Really, as it has been stated many times before, wowing the audience is not about the effects. However, when I'm performing REAL sleights and not gimmicks then I'm feeling like a champion and my whole show just takes on an energy that I can't muster outta store bought packet tricks. So any way I look at it, or can describe it; bringing some real magic to the streets and the effect that has on my energy, increases my hats.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Went to check out your vid...it said it was private.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
That was posted over six months ago. A lot has happened since then. I suspect Chad's entire show has been reworked since posting the video.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
True but would have liked to seen it still.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

It might be in his lecture notes. Chad?
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I always stop kids first with a sponge ball routine, making at least three kids the star of the action, this always helps build a crowd.

Thank God for The Buskers Café, without it I may not have learned how to build a crowd and learned early on how valuable this technique is.

:)
<BR>I never inhale Smile
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Hello!

Frank in correct. I changed this bit around (which is partly why I set the viewing to "private") and now have what I'd consider a truly original sequence...based on classic sleights.

I have been obsessed with watching that Romaine DVD you recommended Frank and my new routined has been a marrying of Romaine: "Expert Ball Manipulation", Cellini: "Magic that can be performed anywhere", and that Jay Leslie DVD: "Learn to perform amazing ball manipulation" I ordered from you a while back.

Thanks for the recommendations buddy. I've changed this little draw to a solid 5-minute opener, complete with inspiration from Fl!p "volume 4" & Bill Abbott's "Performing Stand Up Magic for Kids" making a presense thoughout the routine.

One of these days I'll get someone to hold a camera for me...any volunteers?

Lecture notes....hmmmph

I just got the one year barely under my belt! My lecture notes would say somethin' like:

"If ya wanna make a thousand bucks on the street, start by investing 5 grand on books, DVDs, and your rig...then realise all you needed was about a grand to get your rig in order and the fire in your belly that comes from spending that other 4 grand on stuff that just collects dust...then you'll have no problemo delivering those hat lines"

Why a grand on your rig you say? 400-watt Samson Expedition & Wireless mic. for starters says I!!!
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Quote:
One of these days I'll get someone to hold a camera for me...any volunteers?

Hey Chad if you were in my neck of the woods I would volunteer.

johnnymystic, when did the buskers Café come back? The links I had were stating they were no longer available.

George
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
The Buskers Café has been up for quite some time, although I believe Danny Hustle changed servers? due to the crashes that both these forums were experiencing.

I dunno...all I know is it's up
<BR>I never inhale Smile
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5389 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Hum, I kind of view this differently...not that I know anything but I stop the kid and then get the hell away from that as soon as I can...i don't want to be looked at as a babysitter and I know for sure that the kid has no money...just me but I play for adults and use kids as props JUST me ...

koz
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

That is a very good point.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Stop a child and you stop the world... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL