The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Stop a child and you stop the world... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Hey Koz,

Are you comin' this way next weekend?

...oh yeah, and the original Youtube link that started this thread is back up. I can't stand watching it anymore...so I won't leave it "public" for very long.
cenafreak0709
View Profile
New user
Memphis
59 Posts

Profile of cenafreak0709
I love that, Chad!
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I just found out that I'm getting a chance to perform a 5-minute bit for a local morning news show.

...so now it's deciding whether to do my "new improved" balloon dog bit (no poop in the new routine)....or my shell game (which has also been totally reworked)

I only have this one small clip of me playing the shell game. This was TOTALLY improvised on the spot. The coin work is terrible, and much of the handling is really rough.

Buttttt...if you all could look past that and just offer thoughts on whether the balloon dog bit or the shell game bit would be better for TV, then I'd appreciate it.

Here's the shell game bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMXInChtZ5s

...and the balloon dog bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPt6Z083fE

Again: Both routines have been totally reworked, and I've done at least 70 shows this summer with my table act and another 70 or more with my no-table act. So, I'm really comfortable with both bits and feel as though I've worked the bugs outta each routine. I'm really just interested in what you all think "themes" better for a morning news program.

Thanks!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
See you next week chad.....lookin forward to it

koz
Chris Oberle
View Profile
Elite user
California
444 Posts

Profile of Chris Oberle
Chad,

What news station you going to? I use to work at Fox 19 and we have had magicians on there before. Some of the tricks were good while others it was hard to get good angles to shoot the routine. If you are going to Fox I can let you know which angles the cameras will be at. We had a magician on there once where the cameras could see everything he was hiding...I kinda felt bad for him. Let me know man and I hope all is well!!!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When you go on television, it is very important to know what the best angles are and the kinds of shots to use. Be sure to let the producers and the cameramen know these things.

For example, if you are doing the vanishing bird cage, you want either a medium or a long shot, not a close up, because if they do a close up, it looks like you threw the cage off camera.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Heya Chris,

It's for Channel 6 in Northen Kantakalaky...I don't really know much about it. Bobby set it up to get the word out about that thing he's got going at that one place Smile

Thanks for the thoughts Bill. I've been thinking about angles and practicing with the '3 mirrors' to make certain I've got at least 180 degrees to my front covered.

I'm leaning towards the balloon dog bit at the moment...

I've got a show tomorrow night and hopefully I'll get both bits on video there. It'd be nice to get the actual routines up here for some feedback.

Hiphopper-Chris-O! You've seen my shows. Which one should I do bro?
Chris Oberle
View Profile
Elite user
California
444 Posts

Profile of Chris Oberle
I have to admit Chad is good at his craft. I have seen him do his show before and some of his stuff I was looking and couldn't even figure it out and I got quite a magic DVD collection lol... Just ask Chad! Chad I may actually be in Dayton tomorrow or Saturday. If you need help recording I would be more than happy to help. Ya gotta remember my degree is in Communications in radio and TV broadcasting lol.

Now about routines... I really like your balloon dog routine it had me crackin up. Let me know if you are going to be there tomorrow and saturday! Ill watch your stuff and we can talk afterwords if you like. Give me a call
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Yes, re camera angles: the shell bit game video at 2.51 for a second there is exposure of the wand flipped, because of the camera angle. It wouldnt register with most people. All the best for your show.
The presentation makes the magic.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Chris,

I'm up at yonder on Saturday and at a private party tonight. I'll call ya.

MagiCol,

Yes, that (and a great many other blunders) is why I hate those videos so much. Smile

That's why I usually keep them set to "private". But, I'll leave them open for another couple of days.

Ya wanna see pitiful? Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHMsG2JRdAc

I haven't made this public in a LONG time! I should mail out little cookies to anyone who can watch the entire 6+ minutes Smile
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Here's another look at the balloon dog bit. This video was kinda "staged" ie. it wasn't part of a show. I normally have a long intro before I even get to the balloon.

HiphopperCO came near the end of my shift and took some video for me. This isn't REAL busking. I get payed to street perform at this venue. So, no hat lines to watch for. I just began this bit at the balloon and ended it without going on with the show.

At least it gives an idea of what the effect looks like.

Thanks again Chris for swingin' by and holding the camera!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRhanxTGUXI
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Chad, your newest video performance was very good, nice moves and effects, loved it man and you're so colorful, very pleasing to the eye.
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Chad, nice moves in the balloon video, especially the play to do with the dog's tail. I notice a yellow edge rope and wonder what length of rope do you usually use? Regards.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Heya MagiCol,

I decided on my length rope by using the circumference formula of a circle (yeah...I'm a math geek).

I decided I wanted a 15-foot diameter circle to enclose my show.

Circumference = Pi * Diameter

I used 3 for Pi (don't tell my high school math teacher Smile)

So, I bought a 45 foot rope.

If the pitch won't accomodate a full circle show, then I can of course get a larger diameter for a half-circle show.

...halving the circumference (by only outlining a half-circle) allows me to have double the length of the diameter of my stage (30 feet)....and that gives me a big edge!
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Thanks, Chad. Working from Jimmy Talksalot who in his book reckons 15 to 20 feet, I have an edge rope marked off at 7 metres [about 22 feet] and cut at 10 metres [about 32 feet]. I reckon that will work for what I need. I’ve seen a video on YouTube [as I recall] showing maybe 10 feet of rope just laid out straight across at the distance out from the performer. I figure most people are going to keep a somewhat uniform edge even if the rope doesn’t run right around the performer. I’d say the problem is more to get the people to come up to the edge than them standing well back. Like you, I did a bit of Pi figuring to work out length in conjunction with setting the rope out on the ground to see what distance was suitable for the radius. A major decider for how far out the rope is laid is how much room you need between you and the spectators to manipulate your gear without getting spectators hit by it or have them cramping your style.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Stop a child and you stop the world... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL