The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Small Audiences At Kid Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
514 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Hi All!

I just got back from a childrens afternoon show a resort. Due to the fact that the resort did not promote me as one of thier activities very well I only had three kids and two adults in the audience. Since the majority of my kid show is supported by using volunteers from the audience the show was very disjointed. The kids that were there loved it but it didn't have that group appeal I usually have.

How do you guys deal with a situation where you wind up having only a few (2-3) kids in a n audience?

S. Patrick
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1776 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
I have a number of impromptu close-up effects that I switch to whenever I get into this situation. I can do enough to fill an hour, which I have done on occasion.
Body Tricks and Rings Tricks really come into their own in this situation. They take up no space in your box, and can last for hours.

I then finish by making them about five balloons each. Anything to pass the time.
Doing the full 1 hour stage / cabaret / kids show just doesn't seem to work with only a few people.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
It is tough some times. I have a few libraries each summer that have only a few kids and it does change the dynamics. I just make it more personal and do a few close up type things for them. I also take a little more time in the show to let the kids look/pet the animals in my show when there is only a small crowd.

The other day I was performing a program at a library - it was a cold, wet evening in a small town and the audience consisted of 3 librarians and one of the children. But the show went great. You just have to be adaptable.

I second having a few extra tricks that are more suitable for small crowds.

Chad
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Small numbers like that are very tough to me because the stand up show is designed to draw in a number of kids and it plays kinda silly with a couple kids. If they are little it is easier than the mid range kids, teens not so bad cuz you can hit 'em between the eyes with good magic. The reason the lil' guys are easier is you can interact with them more easily, it becomes like a play date.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Small Audiences At Kid Shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL