The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What if you were to design... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1077 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
...your own stage ?

Hello all !!

It's a little while now that I surf and post here on the Café, and I must say that it's a great place to progress, learn and share...^^

Today my magical life is likely to go 360° !!
There's a place near where I live where you can find a huge disco place...I mean huge.
The owner contacted me because he wants to transform his place into a "diner-spectacle", with a full show, including "revue", and cabaret acts.

I told him "no problem, I have a big repertoire for stage, no worry..."

He answered : "OK, but could you also devise a grand illusion part to the show ?
I want to build a bigger stage, what do you think about that ?"

Me : "...gulp...okay, let me think about it, I'll surely come with something soon..."

So friends in magic, you can understand my enjoyement : I'll be able to work on a stage that I will litterally design !!!!
That's an awaked dream...

Well, eventhough I'm in magic since many years, I know little about the GI world ; At the time me and my wife performed the substitution trunk, the Hindu basket and some transformations with a plateform (the james hodges's model, to be precise).

It's here that I need advices : should I buy and read all GI books like osborn's, or directly buy what seems the best for me ?

I've already think of a trapdoor, to do some vanishes ans appearances...

Maybe I could also consider the black art ?

There're so much to do, and I want to do something good...
I have about one year in front of me, to devise the GI part of the show.

So what would be your 3 prefered illusions ?

Thanks in advance to every one who's willing to help !!

PS : What I want to absolutely avoid is copy.
I and the people who will work with me will do our best to create original presentation...

^^
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Lawrens,

You have a stage. . .Illusions. . .LUCKY!

I think that if I had the space my three would be: Spiker, Asrah, and Modern cabinet (things that go bump in the night).

BYUDAD
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2917 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
From your post, I'm not sure if I'm reading that the owner wants you to come up with an illusion show, or help design the stage itself (for other acts too), or both.

As far as selecting the illusions, if it were me, I'd talk with the owner some more and get a really good idea of who he wants to attract to the new place -- who his customers will be. Is it a formal dinner show? An informal dinner show? A family dinner show? Heavy on comedy? Heavy on Las Vegas glitz? Was he influenced by a similar place he saw?

Now, if he wants you to design the stage itself, that's a whole different area, where you get into style, size, draperies, lights, sound, and a lot of other stuff including renovating an existing structure and local fire codes. This may or may not be in your field of expertise (I don't know), so I can't comment on that.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Wow, A lot to think about. Maybe you are not so lucky. LOL

BYUDAD
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Swann101
Plenty trap doors....LoL! I have a mini theatre stage that I am busy building, and will only be possible to perform "smaller" illusions. Things or should I rather say effects I thought would play well with a permanent setting: Mirror tunnel efects, ashra, very nice metamorpasis (using trap in floor) Dekolta chair, Levitations (hyldrolics at bottom of stage) Flying reels (for silks balls etc) Just to mention a few, but there are some many nice things if you have a permanent setting! But I think you are more interessted in the design of the stage and sets?
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1077 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 11:30, George Ledo wrote:
From your post, I'm not sure if I'm reading that the owner wants you to come up with an illusion show, or help design the stage itself (for other acts too), or both.

Both actually.
I want to give him enough ideas to say : "ok, go !"
That's why I'm searching ideas about which GI do you think are worth staging...
I agree : theer's a lot to do !!

As for the style, I'd say that most of customers are families, with sometimes their parents (old people). But we'll advertise in the local newspapers, so I guess a variety of people would come to see the show...

As for the construction itself, this is not my part ; professionals will do the stage and all the modifications needed.Al I have to do is prepare a good file with GI ideas, themes, etc, to do the work according to the GI settings.

Quote:
Things or should I rather say effects I thought would play well with a permanent setting: Mirror tunnel efects, ashra, very nice metamorpasis (using trap in floor) Dekolta chair, Levitations (hyldrolics at bottom of stage) Flying reels (for silks balls etc) Just to mention a few, but there are some many nice things if you have a permanent setting! But I think you are more interessted in the design of the stage and sets?

Thanks, Swann101 !
I thought about trapdoors too, as well as a de Kolta chair...
Nice idea about the reels, as I have the possibility to permanently install stuff in ceiling or above people.
Between, I'll do a lot of magic there, time for me to go to the GI side of the force !!! ^^

Buyad, thanks for your suggestions !

Anymore suggestions ?

Thanks,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What if you were to design... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL