We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What are your thoughts on GIGmasters.com? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12~13~14 [Next]
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I don't like the idea of built-in "Contract/Agreement" related to mileage.

Yes, I have charged more for 50 miles or more, however, going north, is not so bad, but south, it is way over the going rate.

Even at $250 base price, people are price shopping, and the key item they want is low price. Although I don't agree with this statement: "A Magician is a Magician", it seems to be the attitude! For a Birthday Party Magician, I've lost many because I was too high in price.

The closer one gets to NY the price of $300-400 are in line.
Dennis Michael
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
There is a place to add on travel expenses. If you look at the kind of magicians that have had success with gigmaster there are no cheap ones there. That is what finally sold me.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I usually build the travel fee in with the bid...
Unless it is national or international travel...

:)
I usually do a round figure for travel for long drives and not per mile fee maybe $50 or $100...
But I live in Long Beach CA, so I am central to Hollywood and San Diego areas
Hollywood 40 minutes and SD 1 hour to 1.5 hours...(without bad traffic).

Yes, Gigmasters has a mileage area in the bidding process...
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1142 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
It's been a few months since this topic was active. Those who have signed up on either Party Pop or Gig Master, have you found it worthwhile?
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

I've gotten a lot of prospects, however, my fee puts me out of the picture because, others bid also on the gig.
Dennis Michael
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
I have been with Party Pop for a couple of months. One lead and it turned into a show. I have gotten more response from Craig's List in my area, and it is free. I also advertise on a couple of other free sites that are doing as well as Party Pop, but from what I understand, it depends on the area that you are in. We are pretty rural here.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
No substantial results with either, Dennis. I'm not a fan of "break even" advertising, so I quit Gig Masters and I'm ready to dump Party Pop. I hear that others are getting substantial results with Parents type magazines, but unfortunately, they are only slightly better than breaking even for me at this point. My money seems best spent on maximizing my web presence and creating word-of-mouth buzz and referrlas on my side of town and among the circles of clients I target.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2008-04-07 14:25, Dennis Michael wrote:
I've gotten a lot of prospects, however, my fee puts me out of the picture because, others bid also on the gig.

Stop selling by price and sell by your services and who you are.... You might see an increase!
:)

Also, you will notice a pick up around May and in NOV- DEC from theses type of sites...
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

We have a good area magician who will perform for $100 less than I.

No matter what I write, it boils down to lowest bidder for Birthday Parties, most of the time
Dennis Michael
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
I think you are right Dennis.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Dennis,

I have gotten a job over a another performer and I was $1400 higher than him....
Yes, you will loose some but over all you should make more...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Dennis
You and I live in the same area, and it has been my experience that the guys that beat me out consistently are more expensive than I am. My advise to you is to tweak your profile to make yourself more appealing. I recently enhanced my profile and just booked two jobs. There are no low ball magicians that belong to GiGmaster in our area. Remember in spite of what the president says WE ARE IN A RECESSION.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Well things are slow...But I have found that companies are still paying $$$ but not as many companies are doing things...
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Quote:
On 2008-04-07 14:38, Scott Compton wrote:
I have been with Party Pop for a couple of months. One lead and it turned into a show. I have gotten more response from Craig's List in my area, and it is free. I also advertise on a couple of other free sites that are doing as well as Party Pop, but from what I understand, it depends on the area that you are in. We are pretty rural here.

Hey, Scott:

Here in my area, Craig's List seems to attract mainly bargain hunters; the "gigs" section, when it lists calls for Magicians, usually offers "exposure" or "great resume filler" as compensation. Any tactical advice for appealing to a crowd other than the penny-pinchers?

Thanks,
Leland
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Craig's list
Free advertiseing, but no pay HMMMMMMM I'm afraid I'll have to pass.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1142 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Yeah, I've listed myself on Craig's list for the past year and to date, I can't say I've received any work as a direct result of this. But it's free, so I just renew the listing every few months. It can't hurt.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The recession is real. Government help is never good news!

However, in a recession competition is also keener for societies' productive too! The tough get going but want a lot of Bang for the buck. Opportunities are out there. The productive people are looking for and working on solutions.

Ask for the job! If you ask "prospects" instead of "suspects" they are hiring! The major difference I see in my business is the cost of transportation. The other problems are only problems for the "not ready for prime time" companies. Yes, they are not rare. But they were never "prospects" anyway.

Focus, focus, focus! In times like these you have no choice but "Major in the Majors". This is when the "minors" learn that they are just part of the food chain. In the early stages government tends to intensify the problem. Fortunately they butt out at some stage and progress is made again. Own your business!

I like agents but they are expendable employees. They are not the main thing. If their contacts are not better than yours, who are we fooling? They have nothing to offer you.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
CL in LA works great. although you get some bargain hunters but..... every once in the while it is you get that one where you step back and go WOW!

I think many might be missing the point of advertising.... It is to attract customers to your business. IF you project the image of more costly and skilled performer you will cut down some of the junk request and attract higher paying gigs/clients....
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2008-04-08 10:45, magicofCurtis wrote:
CL in LA works great. Although you get some bargain hunters but..... Every once in the while it is you get that one where you step back and go WOW!

I think many might be missing the point of advertising.... It is to attract customers to your business. If you project the image of more costly and skilled performer you will cut down some of the junk request and attract higher paying gigs/clients....

I agree! A Dollar Store tells you what to expect. Actually it is a lesson in integrity. Be up front. Advertising that attracts the wrong inquiries is probably false advertising.

I have two prices: mine and free. It has worked for many decades for me. This is my fiftieth year in the professional entertainment industry. I'm booked!

Good agents can find me. The others aren’t part of my marketing mix.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Curtis,

You average bid for a show on GIGmasters for the past 6+ months is $750 (and you haven't booked any on there in the last 6 months I noticed), and your most recent bids for gigs were $300 and $550 and your highest recent bid was $1,500 (in November 2007) - which you didn't book. If you beat out a guy by $1,400 you must have been bidding against one of the $100 guys?
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What are your thoughts on GIGmasters.com? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL