The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What are your thoughts on GIGmasters.com? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Lol No problem Al. Seriosuly bro if I get doubled up with shows on any given date, I certainly have you on my list and will call you. My pleasure to do so. I hope that you would also do the same for Kelly and I whenever you get events or gigs that you can not do. We would also appreciate that. =)

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Just revised mine as well and see if I get any real takers instead of just the "looky-loos".

One day I will get some video up there!
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Neale
The key to success is a great profile, not a cheap price. A demo video is also a great sales tool. I will have my demo video up in the next couple of weeks, and I will invite everyone to have a look at it.

Posted: Sep 28, 2008 10:08pm
Today is my birthday, and my web master's gift to me is my 80 second demo video. I have it up on my gigmaster profile, and it is up on youtube at http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xMCVgkZr2so It is a series of big moments from my show.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Al, I'd almost pay to watch a juggler/magician like that.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Father
I'd do a show at your church for free.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
My membership is about to expire and I will not be renewing. Did me no good what so ever.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Neale
Perhaps you are ahead of the curve in your area. I suggest you try again next year with a good 45, or 60 sec. demo video, and tweak your profile (Gigmaster is no place for modesty).
Good luck
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-06-09 11:37, Dynamike wrote:
I have decided to give it a try: http://www.gigmasters.com/magician/DynamikeTheMagician/

It works. I got my first booking last week. I also have an upcoming event.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I just looked at my archive of my last 50 bids and was surprised to see that out of those 50 bids I put in, only 22 were even viewed. What’s up with that?

I’ve heard that only 2% of direct mail is opened, so should I be happy about that 44% opening rate?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Ted Squires
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Ted Squires
I've had success with Gigmasters. Honestly I'm happy if I get one gig per renewal period. I am one of the most expensive acts in my area and in a price shopping situation I know typically I am going to lose out. So for the small investment of $60 for 90 days, if I book a $1,000 gig, then it's certainly been worth it. The cheapest gig I booked on Gigmasters was $500 and the most expensive was $1,500.

I have found that there are slow times, at least in my area and I take a few months off from Gigmasters. I haven't been on at all this summer, but will start up again at the end of August to start gearing up for holiday bookings.
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Quote:
On 2009-07-23 08:28, Ken Northridge wrote:
I just looked at my archive of my last 50 bids and was surprised to see that out of those 50 bids I put in, only 22 were even viewed. What’s up with that?

Ken,

Their method of tracking bid viewing is somewhat flawed. Basically there is 1 pixel graphic that is automatically opened when the message is viewed. The problem is, most email clients block images until you explicitly allow them for a given message. Other email programs display emails as text only and strip out HTML. Either of these options will prevent gigmasters from being able to track open rates with 100% accuracy.

It's very possible that all your bids have been viewed, but only 44% of the recipients either (a. had enabled images or b. clicked-through on the bid or c. viewed the bid online)
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Sorry if this my question that follows has been brought up and discussed in a previous posting on this thread but...

For those of you that are listed on Gigmasters... whom of you pays the 5% Gigmasters Booking fee for your secured bookings -- you or your client?

As you know Gigmasters advertisers have the option to make this choice.

If your clients pay the fee, are your clients mostly corporate or mostly private (individual)?

My feeling is that corporate HR staff looking ot bok entertainment for their x-mas party, etc., "may" not mind paying the booking fee, as this is one of the accepted way to do business. However, individual clients may resent having to pay the fee and opt to book another enterainer that either covers this fee or is found off the Gigmasters site.

Also, with the economy the way it is these days, I beleive that even corporate HR people or the heads of the company's social committee that decide to save the company money and searhch out entertainment on the net instead of going through an agency, may much prefer "not" to pay the Gigmaster's fee.

..I could be wrong.

Crrently I am paying the fees. But have tried both ways.

In short, I find that there are pros and cons to both options.

The best would be no booking fees to pay at all! Smile

Often, I find that paying the fee for the client is appreciated by them and because I can book at the higher end , I can also abosorb the fee.

Coments, input, insight?

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
They let you keep 95% of every job. Agents keep 15% to 20% for every job, if you are lucky. Pay the commission and stop complaining.
Ted Squires
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Ted Squires
I always pay the booking fee. Al is correct, it's a small price to pay.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I pay the fee trying to give the potential client the least amount of objections as possible. Then I play it up big subtlety reminding them in our correspondences not to worry about the booking fee, I will take care of it. (Hint, hint--you may want to tip me and rate me a five star entertainer. Smile)

I agree, it’s a small price to pay compared to working with agents.

BTW, Thanks Carducci for your explanation. I understand now.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks for the perspective, Al Ted and and Ken.

I agree, the 5% booking fee is a relatively small price to pay and good for client-relations.

I guess I was also bringing up the concern that these days Corporate and private clients seem much more careful with their special event "spending dollars" (also known as "laughing dollars").

But I also know that this is an obvious observation to all those who live and breathe.

Hope we can get this thread back on track... Other thoughts on Gigmasters.com
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
My biggest complaint with GigMasters is that they do not ask the prospective client what their budget is!

I would be interested in hearing how other GigMaster pros bid their services without this key bit of knowledge?

Chris
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-07-23 18:33, jlevey wrote:
Sorry if this my question that follows has been brought up and discussed in a previous posting on this thread but...

For those of you that are listed on Gigmasters... whom of you pays the 5% Gigmasters Booking fee for your secured bookings -- you or your client?

As you know Gigmasters advertisers have the option to make this choice.

If your clients pay the fee, are your clients mostly corporate or mostly private (individual)?

My feeling is that corporate HR staff looking ot bok entertainment for their x-mas party, etc., "may" not mind paying the booking fee, as this is one of the accepted way to do business. However, individual clients may resent having to pay the fee and opt to book another enterainer that either covers this fee or is found off the Gigmasters site.

Also, with the economy the way it is these days, I beleive that even corporate HR people or the heads of the company's social committee that decide to save the company money and searhch out entertainment on the net instead of going through an agency, may much prefer "not" to pay the Gigmaster's fee.

..I could be wrong.

Crrently I am paying the fees. But have tried both ways.

In short, I find that there are pros and cons to both options.

The best would be no booking fees to pay at all! Smile

Often, I find that paying the fee for the client is appreciated by them and because I can book at the higher end , I can also abosorb the fee.

Coments, input, insight?

Jonathan

Raise you entertainment fee 5%. That way you will get your money back. Smile
Ted Squires
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Ted Squires
Quote:
On 2009-07-23 21:49, Christopher Starr wrote:
My biggest complaint with GigMasters is that they do not ask the prospective client what their budget is!

I would be interested in hearing how other GigMaster pros bid their services without this key bit of knowledge?

Chris

What a client's budget is really doesn't matter to me because I don't quote my fees based on their budget. I have my fee structure and that's what I charge. If I see there are 10 other people bidding on the gig I'm pretty much guaranteed not to get it. That tells me they are price shopping and I'm one of the most expensive acts in my area. But I also have the only show of its kind. No one in my market does the kind of show that I do.

On or off Gigmasters, you should stay true to your fee. I just turned down a show this morning because they couldn't afford my fee and I quoted them on the lower end of my scale. I'm not one of those guys who brags about only doing $10,000 shows. I start at $500 and go up from there. So when someone has a budget of $200, I can't help them.

It only takes a moment to respond to a bid on Gigmasters, especially if you're using a pre-written response. I do one follow up - again already written and then forget about it.

The problem with Gigmasters isn't not knowing the budget, the problem is not having interaction with the potential client. You don't get the client's information until after you place your bid. From a sales perspective, that's backwards. Now if their only interest is finding the cheapest act, then fine, I'm not the guy. There are plenty of guys who will work for $150. However sales isn't about quoting the cheapest price, it's about solving problems for the customer - the price is secondary. Gigmasters makes that approach very difficult.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What are your thoughts on GIGmasters.com? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL