The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » The Berglas Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9234 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Amazing! I don't have a clue how he did that. WOW! I have often thought of a simple to do card trick that was any better, more instantly amazing than B'wave...This might be it.

The vid says it's not available, is that true? Hope not.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Great effect! And a very visual effect as well. On that will certainly send the audience home scratching its head and wondering how it was done.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Very good effect. I wish I knew if this was available anywhere. If Marc ever releases this you can bet he will charge an arm and leg for it.

I am very impressed with this effect.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1061 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
As a magician I'm totally amazed by this. However, I'm wondering what would a layperson think? I think most lay people might quickly conclude that the "volunteers" are in cahoots with the performer. If they are not stooges, why doesn't he use a method for selecting spectators that would rule out that possibility? I'm going to forward this video to some lay people and see what they think.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Ha ha ha... now this is a great looking acaan, it looks impossibly clean and fair.

Im not worried about if it will ever be released, if the points are true, then I'm amazed, and have enjoyed being totally fooled... something which seems to happen less and less.

Good for him.

Of course, it does look a little too good, and maybe there is infact stooges/confederates in play... guess we'll never know, or at least for the forseeable future.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Very nice indeed. I can think of at least one proven way to accomplish each of the demonstrations on that video, but have no way of knowing what method(s) Paul actually uses.

Every problem contains, within its details, its own solution. In these two demonstrations there are a number of added restrictions that would make the trick seem even more impossible. Some of those are: legitimate shuffle of the deck immediately prior to the trick, random assistant selection (mentioned above), committee consensus for card selection, committee consensus for mumber selection (or other random number selection).

The fact that these added restrictions are not included may lead to some possible answers.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
One thing that always bothers me is when someone asserts that an effect MUST be accomplished a certain way, because that is they only method that the "guesser" knows that would accomplish the effect.

The flaw with that thinking is that the if the individual is guessing, but still asserts there is one solution, then they are ALSO asserting that they are familiar with EVERY possible solution, and have ruled them out.

Usually such comments come from someone who is either/both ignorant or in possession of too much hubris.

That said...

There's a clear solution.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
The psychological subtleties combined with at least three outs to your disposal makes it perhaps one of the greatest card miracles ever involving minimal or no sleight at all.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Who says it's going to be that fair everytime?

I'm sure it probably isn't...
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2288 Posts

Profile of Logan
This is great, wonderful to watch and I was amazed.

However, I must state that the whole thing seems...too perfect? I'm not gonna delve into the whole 'too perfect' discussion, but if Marc's method truly conforms to Berglass' constraints then he should have at least made some effort to prove that the audience members selected were indeed random, perhaps not during his spot on the TV show but at least during his one man show.

Not doing so seems to point to only one solution to the effect, even if it's not true, and if the spectator thinks that it is, the damage is done and the illusion destroyed.

Not passing judgment on Marc's performance/method but merely stating an opinion.

Take care guys,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10882 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Just one of those lucky events thawt happened and now will take this to his grave
lol
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Not that this is the only solution, of course, but let me just say five simple words: Mem deck and a stooge.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2922 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Never has something fooled me so badly.. I hate this effect now...
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10882 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Mem deck and got lucky....... with perdiction and no
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I think you guys are making it MUCH to complicated.

Seems to me the method in the video can use any spectator, no trick cards, and always looks that way...
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1255 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Is this the same method appeared in the book Mind and Magic of David Berglas by David Britland?

The effect was really good. Thanks for sharing the footage.

~ Feras
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
A classic from a Legend!
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Quote:
On 2008-01-21 00:39, BenTrain (Nordatrax) wrote:
I think you guys are making it MUCH to complicated.

Seems to me the method in the video can use any spectator, no trick cards, and always looks that way...

Really?! I don't think so...
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2922 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Maybe it's just chance Smile
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » The Berglas Effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL