The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Attending the Indian Convention 2008 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ratty Roberts
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Ratty Roberts
Having travelled half way around the world, thousands of miles by train to get to the Conventiopn at Chandigore, can you imagine how I felt to be told, (the same day as I'd just booked Hotels and a train) that they had decided to cancell it!

Ifv anyone else fancies it, please take advice and DON'T DO IT!

Ratty
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
710 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Sorry to hear that! It must have been a very horrible experience!

Chubster
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Ratty: Did you make a reservation in advance for the convention? They should have notified you if you did.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Ratty Roberts
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Ratty Roberts
Yes, I've been ringing up from England for two months, and sending emails to Sam Dalal. When I arrived at his studio, he wasn't there, although he was expecting me. Went back the next day, still no Sam. that's when I was told, by his staff, after I just mentioned,.... "oh well, I'll probably meet Sam at the convention in Chandigor".

Some contacts that I spoke to said they didn't know of any convention, although it is normally on every year, and I do know other Magicians that have been to it.

As I say,.... Rule of thumb .... don't GO TO INDIA,( so polluted ) or THE CONVENTIONS!
Ratty
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
While certainly not to that degree I travelled to an event, after confirming everything was on the day before, and found it had been 'delayed'. This was back when I wasn't a nice fellow and it got real ugly real quick, but I have a 4% sense of what you felt.
Ratty Roberts
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Ratty Roberts
Thanks for that. It does actually make me feel better. Having been to India more than a few times, it makes no sense to scream & shout, although sometimes you do have to explode. Talking to to average Mr. Indian chappie, is like asking a 4year old why he dosen't know how to drive (which if anyone has been to India, they will know a driving license is about $10 to buy, no test!... I kid you not!).

There is just a blank look coming back at you, and the question "so whats it matter, that we cancelled it?"

Ratty
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2008-01-15 05:37, Ratty Roberts wrote:
Talking to to average Mr. Indian chappie, is like asking a 4year old why he dosen't know how to drive

Ratty

Is it just me, or does this comment sound very rude, arrogant, demeaning, and just plain racist?

Being upset at certain individuals about cancelling a convention is one thing, but putting down a country ("don't GO TO INDIA -- so polluted"), and insulting it's citizens goes way too far.

Brian
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
While I like the Indian community (my wife's school was about 80% Indian kids so she was very popular with them) India does have cities which are considered the most polluted in the world. I'd say 'so polluted' is pretty accurate for parts of it, others 'pretty foresty' would be accurate.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
974 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I can understand how you could come to that conclusion about India. It can be one of the most exciting places to live or it can be a total nightmare, depending on your mood and what's happening at the time. (I lived there for over a year and a half)And yes, a lot of things can be bought there for a small amount of money. I had to bribe conductors to get tickets on the train when I travelled in the countryside, bribed greedy traffic cops to let us go when they thought the taxi driver did something wrong or his papers were not in order. It is hard to handle all the constant hustle and bustle, and then on any normal day you may get asked by over a hundred beggars for money, have to dodge human waste on the footpath, and be very careful what you eat or you may end up with hepatitus or in my family's case, ameobic dysentry and gastro at the same time. (It's not a good thing believe me)Let me clarify here, I loved in India and have great memories of living there, but what you may see of Indians living in Canada and what life is like in India is two very different thing. The ones living in the west are the rich ones and upper class (though some would disagree).

They are so used to confusion of communications that to them cancelling a convention is normal or no big deal, but to those who have travelled half way around the world and then be told it was cancelled after shelling out a lot of dough, well it sure looks like a recipe for dissapointment to me.

Anyways, as they say in India "What to do"?

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Ratty Roberts
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Ratty Roberts
HOO BOY, sure opened a can of worms here!
Anyone that knows me, will tell you staright away, I am not racist. Over here in the UK, I work for our asian community quite a lot. In fact , I organise an Asian Mela (Gala to you!)for the kids side of things. I also have been asked for especially by the British Muslim Party to perform for them. I also do private parties for both Indian , Pakistani families, as I speak (not fluently) Hindi, and Urdu, and am very aware of traditins and customs. Also I have performed charity shows in Pakistan for the local Charity Aid.

As for my comments , as has been pointed out, you really don't want to see whats on the floor, and Calcutta is documented as one of the most polluted cities in the world.

What I was trying to say was don't go JUST for the covention if you see it advertised, because the same thing might happen. I should have qualified it by saying, ....... "And tack it onto the end of your holiday".

Anyway, thanks for the support of what I was saying, and this was just a moan and a whinge, and if everyones happy, we can call this closed, unless anyone wants to add more. I just couldn't find where it might fit, and seeing as how I'm a kids entertainer, the Little Darlings seemed OK.

I love India, having been over 5 times, but things ( Polution, mens attitude to women etc)are spiralling out of control, even the locals are notiucing it.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
It appears I may have misunderstood. I apologize.

Brian
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Admit it Brian, Canadians think everyone is a racist and you all feel superior to other cultures ait its people because of it.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2008-01-16 12:44, MagicSanta wrote:
Admit it Brian, Canadians think everyone is a racist and you all feel superior to other cultures ait its people because of it.

Is it that obvious???? Smile

Must come from living too long in a "multi-cultural" society, where every culture is recognized and celebrated except our own. Go figure.

Brian
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of ashah
Well, I'm headed to India for the next 6 months on work. Does anyone know of anything I can do related to magic? I'm afraid my hobby will be totally on hold the next 6 months...
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1815 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I don't know, but it sounds exciting! Good luck!
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2008-01-16 21:15, ashah wrote:
Well, I'm headed to India for the next 6 months on work. Does anyone know of anything I can do related to magic? I'm afraid my hobby will be totally on hold the next 6 months...

Are you kidding? India is the fabled land of magic! Find some fakirs and see if you can duplicate what they do. You might come back with new effects ready to market to the rest of us! Smile

Brian
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
974 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
The whole time I lived there I never saw anyone doing magic. The times I visited Goa I met a magician and they had a small magic shop there, where you could buy the stiff ropes for only a couple of bucks.

While in Taiwan I met a few Indian magicians who were there working in entertainment resorts. They were all from the same area in India. I believe there is a muslim community near Dehli where everyone is a magician or they are all involved in magic of some kind. One guy was a 3rd generation magician in his family. They all seem to make their own props as well, which are only OK at best.

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of ashah
Hmm... well I'll be based out of Delhi, so maybe I'll stumble upon this fabled community.
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Ashah - e-mail/pm Ratty.

He is a great guy and always willing to help.

Best,

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation
Ratty Roberts
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Ratty Roberts
Many thanks to Ricky, and yes I accept Brians Apology. I have been severaltime to India,as mentioned. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find a steet performer. Yes the shopin Goa sell direct to the tourists with no qualms about secrets. In fact when I was in Pakistan, the way it is done is to show you the trick. Explain how it's done,and then ask if you want to buy it!

If you're in Delhi or any big City, get a yellow pages. This wilput you in direct contact. Magicians are not as prolific as you would think,and in all the times I have been there I only ever saw two. One did the worst Egg bag (really crude & rude appertaining to various parts of male& female anatomy). He then did a small cups and balls, and every time he loaded the balls, they went in so fast, they rolled staright out!

Stuff to carry is a couple of good packet tricks, Sponge balls and purse frame. Things that you can do borrowing items ie BoBo's Expanded Texture. The guy up in Delhi sells magic at fairs,and if it's Diwali, or a festival time, look out for the fairs. They even have the old Carnival side showsapart from themagicvian hawking his wares. Beware of the guy with a little table top on the street. He is not amagician,and is only interested in selling to make money. He wont be impressedby anyone saying " hey I'm a Magician from .... do you want to see a trick?"

Ratty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Attending the Indian Convention 2008 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL