We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » ROPS and Scissors Vanish - The Difference??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8884 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I was at a party over the holidays and an old guy was doing a neat vanish. It looked very familiar I thougth but he mentioned it later to me as the "Scissors Vanish." I believe I've seen it before but as the ROPS, it was very similar, extremely even. Anyone know about these things?
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Here's the source for the Scissors Vanish:

Apocalype Vol 4 No 10 Oct 1981
Scissors Vanish (Robert L. Brooks): coin vanish

I found this on:
http://magicref.tripod.com/booksjr/lorayneapoc1.htm

I'm getting ready to go home for lunch. I'll look in my Apocalypse and let you know.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
There's a lot of similarities. The handlings are different and the execution of the ROPS is far easier than the Scissors Vanish. The Scissors Vanish is not overly complicated it's just that the ROPS is easier to initially get down.

Brooks told Lorayne that he had been doing it since 1950-51.

pm me if you have more detailed questions. I hope this helps.

Dr. Rubinstein were you aware of this move?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8884 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks for the info. I didn't think either were particularly complicated just that they seemed quite similar. I'm not sure whether or not Doc was aware of this move but who knows. I would think he would have happened across it in his in-depth work in presenting such moves of his own. But I don't remember any particular connections made in regard to his ROPS on his materials, not sure though. Anyway, I was just asking. Hope to hear more about it to be sure. Thanks.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4187 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
R.O.P.S. technique evolved from my variation retention pass, which in turn evolved from Al Schneider's snap back vanish, published in Al Schneider on Coins, 1975. All use the thumb and second finger to effectuate the move (with Al's using more the second finger and less of the thumb, mine is the opposite), and is unrelated to the scizzors vanish. My variation retention pass and subsequent R.O.P.S. technique was developed in 1979, after seeing Roth perform his own retention vanish. I released my retention technique in my first set of lecture notes in 1983,after I published my old material in my book in 1982, and began to show my unpublished ROPS technique and applications at that time to notable magicians both in Europe and the USA. It helped me to win first prize in the Bologna International Close up Competition (FISM judges) in 1983 as well. I finally taught the technique first in the West German Master Coin Technique video series in 1985 (now the Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights), and later in my Magic Castle Lecture notes from I believe 1985 as well. There has never been another steal out there that uses the same mechanics. I claim no originality for steals from an open or closing hand, but this one, and its many applications, are not related to others that may have been published. Its mechanics are unique and my own.
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8884 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks Doc for chiming in here on this. Again, I just found it similar and wondered out loud. I do understand your mention of such "uniqueness" and as such any differences you found to be different enough to speak toward any particular ownership. Especially as it refers to the applications you developed/progressed from the move.

Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
The ROPS move is incredibly strong, and I suggest that everyone seek it out for possible inclusion in their arsenal of sleights. I use the move in a couple of effects and I've found no stronger vanish for the particular points in the routines where I use the move.

Larry
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I tend to use it in place of a spider vanish ( I never liked those at all ) and almost always when iv done a retention previously
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » ROPS and Scissors Vanish - The Difference??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL