The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » MAGIC ART (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
Hey magic fans,

My girlfriend is an artist and is thinking about possibly starting a series of oil paintings that are catered towards the magic community. I've attached her first painting and was hoping to get some opinions on it. How much would you pay for something like it, do you think it's good/bad, etc... The painting is about on canvas and is about 12"x16"

Thanks!
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Where is the picture?
Magic is a vanishing art.
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
Sorry! haha I hope it works this time

Click here to view attached image.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1074 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Very nice !!
Thanks for sharing, I'd love to see more of her work...
^^
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I am also an artist,
Very nice work, I would like to see larger photo.

Nice cups too, I have some of those.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Very nice.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Ben,

That's some great work. Please convey my appreciation to your girlfriend. My wife is an artist as well as several close friends and one did what is now my avatar (the full one is the size of a "one-sheet").

You'll more than likely find a wide range of what people will pay. Don't sell her talents short, though. Her time is valuable and real artwork is worth much more than some realize, which I'm sure both of you know.

As far as price, I think she should determine that, not us. How long it takes, how many she will do in a series, etc.

Good luck with the series. I, for one, would be interested.

Scott
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Very nice!
I'm sure they will sell.
Best,
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Ben, very nice work. Are you planning on selling the original works or lithographs? Where are you planning on selling them E-bay, consignment at magic shops, on the Café, direct from home or studio?

I myself don't like paying a lot for paintings that are smaller (12"x16") so I would only spend in the area of $100 for something like that. The smaller paintings I don't feel are focal points when displayed. Maybe with the complete series it would be different.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
Hey Banester,

Thanks for the feedback!

She is planning on selling all the original oil paintings with the exception of the first one of the cups (I'm a busker and the painting is actually of my Cellini cups so I'm claiming it Smile

her and I are working on what will be in the series. She just bought 5 8"x8" and 5 10"x10" However if there is a demand for bigger paintings she'll definitely take specific requests. She's also done portraits and I think I've convinced her to do a collage of all my favorite magicians of the past on a bigger canvas.

She likes painting things of texture; silks and things that are made of copper and metal. Luckily we use those things a lot in our line of work.

What object, things, people, moves in magic would you like to have really nice artwork of?

I always thought it would be cool to have a painting of a center or base deal in motion. I know there's a great snap shot of Vernon mid-center deal that catches the card shooting out of the middle and I think would translate great to a piece of art. Any other ideas that you guys would buy?
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
Oh, and she would be selling them on ebay, etsy.com, and here Of course if we get specific request we'll work with that person one on one and only ask that we keep a photo of it for her portfolio and marketing.
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Ben, Silks or silks in motion would be cool so would a botanica or some type of feather flowers. So many chooses though and I am sure I would love them all ahaha. Classic magic such as the cup and balls or a levitation where the magician is sliding the hoop over the assistant or cards/cards in motion or a fanned deck. haha I could go on and on, but my bank account won't be able to keep up!
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
A nice oil painting of the "traditional" Dai Vernon in his pose would be nice.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
I told her the exact same thing about the vernon pose!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » MAGIC ART (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL