The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My kids show please look! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

yeahidomagic
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of yeahidomagic
Hello I'm performing a show for 1-5 year olds. Keep in mind this is not my regular 45 min fun-filled magic show .

I start off telling them how excited I am than I do a sing along (old MacDonald's farm)

Than a routine with my clown puppet,
Than Coloring book (involves a volunteer)
Next , puppet (bird Polly)
Than , change bag mismade Dalmatian
Next , rocky
finally , simple sponge ball routine
Its a 30min show

done and ready to make balloon animals.

Tell me what you think , thanks.
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
My first thought is that’s a lot of puppetry. Do you vent? Personally I would take out one of them an add a larger effect in its place. Also you say a show for 1-5. What is the ratio?
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Obviously, it's hard to comment on someone's show based solely on a list of tricks and routines. Generally speaking, I think the 30 min time slot is about right for that age. And if you are working with a lot of children below 4, more puppets is a good thing. The more you can get down and into their "space" the better for that age. Big illusions don't seem needed, in my opinion. A sing along could be a great warm-up too -- nice idea.

But you should have a feel for what is working. Are the kids laughing and involved? Or are they wandering around the room? At that age a certain amount of wandering is going to happen, but strive to keep them focused for as long as possible. Keep it light, fast and fun. (DISCLAIMER -- having given this great advise, I must admit that I perform for 4 and up for parties. Three's and below enjoy my daycare performances, but at private parties, I've found this very young age is not able to focus on my show)
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Well based on your spelling, you've chosen the right age to target. The word is spelt 'Then', not 'Than'.

Make sure you have two routines for your coloring book. One with a volunteer, and one without. At that age, many children won't want to get up so early into the act.

I don't know your sponge ball routine, but you have to play to a crowd. Sponge balls are small and hard to see for most people, and the magic only really happens for that one person who is holding the balls. Again, you have an assistant problem, and the size is going to be a problem.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I don't know if you have them but the silver ceptre wand or pop away wand are great for these children.
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Sounds like a nice show for that age group. The idea of adding some type of comedy wand routine would be a good idea, they are quick and lots of fun for the kids.

Let us know how it goes.
AshleyW
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of AshleyW
Quote:
On 2008-01-16 04:41, ku7uk3 wrote:
Well based on your spelling, you've chosen the right age to target. The word is spelt 'Then', not 'Than'.

Well he's 14 & not perfect like you.
BTW in the following post, you misspelled the word "entertainers"
Dam*, there goes your perfect theory.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=5365191
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
AshleyW

I thought I held all the rights to be the !@#$% (B-word) one . . . You are infringing on me!

ku7uk3 slipped a bit, but he is a good guy. Od course my spelin, tipin, and grammor r perfectly. Dey are a sin of my large intlgence.
AshleyW
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of AshleyW
All is forgiven
:)
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
I find a sponge ball routine works fine as long as the audience isn't too big (say over 20)

With children that young though, you really have to make sure they don't open their hand too early and ruin the "suprise" ending!

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My kids show please look! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL