The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » Las Vegas Visit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BaryBazz
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
197 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
I am planning to travel from London to Vegas at the end of April and would like to know what are the best dealers to visit and magic shows to see.
Thanks,

BARRY
Jake Heller
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Jake Heller
My favorite show in Vegas is Mac King's Comedy Magic Show. Its a must see! Its at Harrah's (a hotel) and plays during the afternoon. Very funny.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
If you are coming April 27-30 register for the World Magic Seminar held in Las Vegas. Big convention, top magicians and lectures, good dealer room. Most of the local performers show up. http://www.worldmagicseminar.com
Mac King, Lance Burton, Penn and Teller, Amazing Johnathan are the main fare. Dealers. Only one real "dealer" there Denny and Lees on Dean Martin (industrial south of tropicana). There are a couple of more pitch type magic shops such as Houdini's (in New York, New York, and The Venetian). Also another set of shops owned , both owned by the same person, at the Riveria and Stratosphere. Nothing really great in any of those. They depend on sale of pitch type magic to tourists. Denny's is for the pro's, lots of videos and lecture notes, good supply of books, some good gaffed coins, and other such supplies. Not exactly the entire catalog of the Baltimore store, but a good place to visit just the same.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
BaryBazz
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
197 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
Thanks very usefull.

BARRY
KARCH
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of KARCH
Lance Burton's show at the Monte Carlo is really good (and probably the best big show left now that Siegfied and Roy are gone). He still comes out after every show to sign autographs and take pictures. Class act.
I think the Amazing Johnathon is still playing. Funny stuff if you have that sense of humor.
There are a couple of hypnotists in town, too.
As for dealers, the Houdini's in the MGM is pretty good but a little hard to find.
Good luck.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
In addition, visit this site for a lot of cupons good for big discounts on various shows and other things in Las Vegas. I save a bundle every trip using these. http://www.billhere.com
And regardless of what the cab driver tells you, either leaving the airport or returning "DO NOT TAKE THE TUNNEL" it is a long haul, and one of the most common scams cabbies in LV pull. Tell them to go down Tropicana or if heading some place like the hardrock or hilton to go down paradise.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
BaryBazz
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
197 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
Thank you very much.

BARRY
JasonBaney
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of JasonBaney
FYI If a taxi takes the tunnel there is a city imposed toll/fee that is automatically added to your fare. It's also a longer route to the strip so they make more money. However the taxi can't take the tunnel unless you give him permission. Hence the reason they "ask you" or suggest it. A normal taxi ride is $5-6 bucks to say the Tropicana Hotel, the closest one.

As far as shows go, not to brag but the Worlds Greatest Magic Show at the Greek Isles is an excellent show. 5-7 different magicians including Joseph Gabriel, Losander, Jeff Hobson, Dan Sperry, Roy Shank, and myself to name a few.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 17:46, KARCH wrote:
Lance Burton's show at the Monte Carlo is really good (and probably the best big show left now that Siegfied and Roy are gone). He still comes out after every show to sign autographs and take pictures. Class act.
I think the Amazing Johnathon is still playing. Funny stuff if you have that sense of humor.
There are a couple of hypnotists in town, too.
As for dealers, the Houdini's in the MGM is pretty good but a little hard to find.
Good luck.

There's a Houdini's in New York New York. I never saw one at the MGM ( although some guides list it ).
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
EndlessWonders
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of EndlessWonders
As far as magic shops on the stip. I have been to Houdini's and was very disappointed. It is geared more towards kids or beginers... rising card, dlite, and hover card. etc... The best one on the stip I have seen is at the Stratosphere, although I cannot remember the name, they had a much better selection. Hope this helps
Chris Hickmott

"Cross Into Another Dimension"
www.endlesswonderproductions.com
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
The Houdini's shop in MGM is in the "Star Walk" area between the main lobby and the parking deck. If you enter MGM from Las Vegas Blvd., you've got to walk way back to the lobby to get to the Star Walk.
The magic shop in the Stratosphere is a tourist-type shop, but when I told the gentleman there about my background in magic, he was very helpful and showed me some very worthwhile items.
"Don't run with those..."
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
For magic shops, there is Denny's - always a great visit. Also, stop by Boomer's on Wed night for Gary Darwin's magic club.

For shows, Mac King is the best value in town. I haven't seen WGM, but I have heard great things, and Dan Sperry is one of my favorites.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
BaryBazz
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
197 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
Thanks guy for all your input, keep them coming.

BARRY
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
World's Greatest Magic show, 9pm nightly at the Greek Isles, near the convention center. Featuring several magicians - great show!

--Jack Smile
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
For a (relatively) up to date listing of what's going on in town, check out our VEGAS MAGIC page on our local IBM web site: http://www.ibm257.com/index.php?pr=Vegas_Magic

The local IBM is hosting it's annual magic auction on Wednesday April 30th at Boomers (Gary Darwin's normal meeting location). See the Magic Auction page of the same website.

Friday's at 11:30 IBM and KIDabra Las Vegas jointly host a "Magic Lunch Club"; an informal get together for lunch. Details on the http://www.ibm257.com website as well.

Check out http://www.VegasInsideTips.com which includes a column written by Steve Dacri and includes a list of what's going on, who's where, etc;

Please drop us a note on the "Contact Us" page of the http://www.ibm257.com website....one or more of us would be happy to meet with you upon your arrival and give you the personal, up-to-the-minute lowdown on what's going on in town. See you in Vegas!
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Re; Brick and Mortar shops in Vegas...don't come with any hopes and you'll still go away disappointed. There just aint anything to brag about in this town. If you can spare a day, take a quick flight or 4 hour drive to LA for the Hollywood Magic shop.

There are some good vendors scheduled at the WMS and of course, the IBM annual Magic Auction should satisfy your desire to spend your blackjack winings on something of real value.

If you wanna see one of the world's greatest collections of magic props, books, treasures, etc; come to Boomers for the Magic Auction and ask Gary Darwin for a private viewing of his museum.....just allow at least a half a day to do so....and don't plan on arriving until well after noon. It's well worth the visit to his place. Sorry....not open to the public....only upon invitation by Gary himself.....which won't be a problem if you have a few hours to kill and a willing ear.

See you in Vegas!
BaryBazz
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
197 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
LVMagical,

Thanks very much for the info I will be in touch.
Regards,

BARRY
BaryBazz
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
197 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
The ring 257 web page shows David Copperfield on from April 17th to May 5th but this is not shown on the MGM site can you advise me if he is on during this period.I also hope to join you if possible for the Lunch club on May 2nd.

BARRY
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Each month we take a look at the Vegas performance schedule and update it for not only our site, but also several on-line newsletters and other resources. As of the 20th of February, Copperfiled was slated to be at the MGM....now it's not as clear. My guess is that something came up and he cancelled that run....sorry.....there still is a TON of magic to see in this town and frankly, if you've seen Copperfield once in the past 10 years, you're not missing anything by missing him this trip. Most everyone reports he seems to be simply "going through the motions" at this point. Looking forward to your visit!
BaryBazz
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
197 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
Thanks for the update I saw David perform in London over 20 years ago but from your comments I think I will give him a miss and try Lance Burton who I have never seen perform what do you think.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » Las Vegas Visit (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL