The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Stand Alone Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I would like to know what one effect would you do if a camera was pointed at you and you had to visually demonstrate that you are a magician?
Robin Z
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Robin Z
Two Card Monte. It's visual, surprising, funny and gets great reactions without any other tricks beforehand.
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I'm not familiar with two card monte. What happens visually?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Cards up the sleeve.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 12:40, photius wrote:
Cards up the sleeve.

Valuable and enjoyable sarcasm aside this is not the place to discuss methods. My comment regarding sarcasm is aimed at Photius the rest at the other posts.
Austin113
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
67 Posts

Profile of Austin113
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 12:34, MrFye wrote:
I'm not familiar with two card monte. What happens visually?

You ask the spectator if they're familiar with three card monte...the card game where gamblers steal your money. You claim to be able to play that with only two cards. You clearly show the spectator two red aces and ask him to hold onto them. You take the bottom one and switch it for the top one, reversing their order. You then ask which one they now believe is on top. Boy are they surprised when they turn their hand over to see two black Queens sitting in their hand the whole time.
The method is not the secret.
Austin113
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
67 Posts

Profile of Austin113
I forgot to mention that if you begin with that intro, you should say up front that with your two card version, its only a game and that there is no money involved. I forget to mention that half the time and older folks are hesitant because they think we're going to play a game where I steal their money.
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
Thanks Austin113 for that explanation. I guess people don't understand my question. The magic must be "stand alone" with no spectator involvement. Strictly visual. For example: I make a magic wand appear with the appearing magic wand or I make a red silk vanish with by stuffing it into my fist, I make a candle disappear with Fantasios' vanishing candle etc....Let's say it's for someone filming you and you can only do one thing to show that you are in fact a magician.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-01-17 12:45, abc wrote:
Quote:
Cards up the sleeve.

Valuable and enjoyable sarcasm aside this is not the place to discuss methods. My comment regarding sarcasm is aimed at Photius the rest at the other posts.

Its the name of a very old and very standard trick, not methodology.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Jerry Andrus' "ZONE ZERO"...

Never fails to mystify...

Doug
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
Twisting The Aces.
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
Now you're talking! My favorite is the bare handed production of a ball of fire, I used to open every show with it. Twisting the Aces? Is that close up trick? I"m not familiar with Zone Zero either. What would I see happen?
Austin113
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
67 Posts

Profile of Austin113
I'd suggest Paul Harris' Cross Twist/Bizzare Twist. Extremely visual and doesn't involve audience participation...unless you consider "watching" to be participation.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 19:14, photius wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 12:45, abc wrote:
Quote:
Cards up the sleeve.

Its the name of a very old and very standard trick, not methodology.

I thought you were being sarcastic as to the method but the methodology comment was not aimed at you which is why I wrote "the rest at the other posts". Didn't want this to turn into a "how does that work?" thread. Not saying that is what the originator of the thread had in mind, just that it could turn into that.
The fact that you actually mentioned an effect went over my head completely but as I have said in previous threads I am not that smart.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

No offense taken, ABC, just figured in your part of the world the trick was called by another name and you were unfamilar with it.
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I love Paul Harris stuff, but I guess I'm being misunderstood. I was looking for something more suited for platform type or stage type magic. I am looking for things that can be done quickly. Something visual with no patter required. I am not looking for the secrets so ABC please go police some other threads.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 22:58, MrFye wrote:
Now you're talking! My favorite is the bare handed production of a ball of fire, I used to open every show with it. Twisting the Aces? Is that close up trick? I"m not familiar with Zone Zero either. What would I see happen?

Zone Zero- "a superb trick from Jerry Andrus whereby a 2 1/2 inch rubber ball is repeatedly made to appear and disappear through a hole in a plastic board - Zone Zero. It is clean, effective, and best of all, you can show both sides of the board and both hands empty throughout the performance."

I had mine made from an 11" by 17" black acrylic sheet. The plastics place put the 3" hole EXACTLY in the right place...perfect! It IS a bit angly, but, highly effective!

Doug
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
Thanks Doug, I will check out Zone Zero.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Stand Alone Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL