The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Read this post and help me SEAL the deal! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
OK, I'm looking for an effect that has to do with seals... (Not the approval kind, but the swimming, penguin eating, balancing a ball on its nose kind).

I have seen, somewhere, a children's effect using a seal. But for the life of me, I can't remember the effect or the source of it. As I recall, it's a seal (possibly on a red background) with a ball on its nose and is propped up on one of those round platforms like the use in circuses. Sorry to be so vague, but that's all I can remember about it. I guess old age is slipping up on me and the memory is starting to go... LOL!

I have done internet searches with no luck - probably because I don't even know the name of the effect. I've looked through entire kids magic sections on several major dealers sites, and through a few catalogs as well. Still no luck. So I turn to the wealth of knowledge that is the members of the Magic Café to help me solve this mystery.

Can anyone help by providing me the name of it? ...A link on the web to it? ...Or at least a description of the effect? This is driving me nuts!

Lyndel
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lyndel
Balancing things on my nose has always been a big part of my warm up act, and I am very interested to see what wise magician can answer your question for both of us.

ERR ERR ERR would someone please throw that man a fish?

BTW I have booked two cub scout banquets this year so far from that blue and gold link we signed up for last year.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
530 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I remember what you are talking about but I do not know where to find it. I think it was call "Sammy the Seal"

Good Luck
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5700 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 10:04, Lyndel wrote:
OK, I'm looking for an effect that has to do with seals... (Not the approval kind, but the swimming, penguin eating, balancing a ball on its nose kind).

I have seen, somewhere, a children's effect using a seal. But for the life of me, I can't remember the effect or the source of it. As I recall, it's a seal (possibly on a red background) with a ball on its nose and is propped up on one of those round platforms like the use in circuses. Sorry to be so vague, but that's all I can remember about it. I guess old age is slipping up on me and the memory is starting to go... LOL!

I have done internet searches with no luck - probably because I don't even know the name of the effect. I've looked through entire kids magic sections on several major dealers sites, and through a few catalogs as well. Still no luck. So I turn to the wealth of knowledge that is the members of the Magic Café to help me solve this mystery.

Can anyone help by providing me the name of it? ...A link on the web to it? ...Or at least a description of the effect? This is driving me nuts!

Lyndel

Hi Lyndel. I am not sure of what you are describing, but I seem to remember an effect called "Sammy The Seal". That may not be it, but it may be something you might be interested in. Also, a great idea would be to make a Forgetful Seal-type effect (ala Forgetful Freddy). It seems a prop like that could be very versital, with a ball on the nose disappearing, being replaced by a balloon, etc. Other magic ball effects could be incorporated into a routine with a prop like that.

Regan

*EDIT: MAGICBYTIM posted just as I did, so maybe my memory is correct about Sammy The Seal.
Mister Mystery
LollyPopandPatch
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of LollyPopandPatch
Hi

There is a reference to the Sammy the Seal trick on a prev posting from Spellbinder at the following location :
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=17&2
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Mention my name and I appear!

Sammy the Seal was basically a "card in balloon" trick. For kids you would use an "Old Maid" deck or Alphabet deck and have a card chosen. Then you would vanish the card in some way and bring out Sammy to help you get the card back. You blow up a (usually red) balloon and "balance" it on the end of Sammy's nose to help him point to where the card might be hiding. Of course the balloon breaks and the card is found balanced on the tip of Sammy's nose.

You can build one of these by using a seal cartoon from a coloring book as a model, and following Jim Gerrish's mousetrap mechanism plans for "Forgetful Whomever" in his Hardboard and Duct Tape Magic Show Book 1.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Sam Smith has a Sammy The Seal routine in his "Kiddie Patter and Little Feats" that (iirc) ends with the balloon changing to a sponge ball.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Thanks guys! The card in balloon/Sammy The Seal is the effect I'm looking for. Mystery solved! Well, partially... Does anyone know where this trick might be still available? Was it a Supreme trick?

Lyndel
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Was just about to chime in. I think Sammy the Seal was either a Supreme or a Jack Hughes effect. Most likely Supreme. I have an image of it in my head and I seem to remember seeing it advertised in a copy of Magigram (Supreme's magazine).

Mark
Mark Daniel
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Lyndel, hope you enjoyed the Marty Hahne lecture. On the seal topic if you can not find one I would check out the Magicnook.com. You can easily make one following Jim Gerrish's plans for "Forgetful Whomever" in his Hardboard and Duct Tape Magic Show Book 1.

Chris
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 14:36, wa-na-be wrote:
Lyndel, hope you enjoyed the Marty Hahne lecture. On the seal topic if you can not find one I would check out the Magicnook.com. You can easily make one following Jim Gerrish's plans for "Forgetful Whomever" in his Hardboard and Duct Tape Magic Show Book 1.

Chris

Hey! Had a great time at the lecture. Marty's an old friend and it was good to see him and Brenda again! My year-long restaurant gig just ended which free's me up on Wednesday nights - so I might actually be able to make it to a meeting every once & while now! LOL!

Regarding making one... I'm not that handy at making stuff. I think I might rather have one that looks like it wasn't made by a 4 year old (which is how it would look if I made it myself!) LOL!

Lyndel
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Hi Lyndel,
I found one on ebay. It was new, so it looks like someone is making them again. Don't think it cost me too much either. I think it is based on the old supreme one so it does look rather arty rather than cartoony.

I haven't used it yet but I do like some of Poz's ideas for it.

George
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Lyndel

Just spent a little time searching and came across a couple of effects at
http://www.taurusmagic.net/usedmagic1.html .

About half way down the list...

TERRY AND NORMA’S BILLY THE SEAL - Billy the seal is shown balancing a ball on his nose. He’s not happy. He wants a coloured ball not a white one. The white ball is taken off his nose and put into a bag with some “red and blue” balls. A magic spell is cast and the bag is pulled apart to show “two pieces of white” but no ball. Finally a coloured ball visibly appears on Billy’s nose. Nicely made in wood! (£48.00) £36.00

And this may also be of interest...

SADIE THE SEAL - A playing card or Lexicon card is chosen and replaced in the deck. An inflated balloon is fastened to a wooden seal’s nose. Cards are dribbled onto the balloon, the balloon bursts revealing the chosen card fatened to Sadie’s nose. (£48.00) £36.00SADIE THE SEAL - A playing card or Lexicon card is chosen and replaced in the deck. An inflated balloon is fastened to a wooden seal’s nose. Cards are dribbled onto the balloon, the balloon bursts revealing the chosen card fatened to Sadie’s nose. (£48.00) £36.00

According to the site, the price in brackets is the original price, the other is the cash price. Taurus have been in operation for a very long time and are (in my experience) a very good company to deal with.

Hope it helps,

Mark
Mark Daniel
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5700 Posts

Profile of Regan
Axtell has a beautiful Seal puppet too!
Mister Mystery
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I just spent about 20 minutes trying to help ya Bud and I can't find one anywhere. Maybe post a WTB in the Magic Tricks for Sale section. Someoen may be able to help ya. Sorry Smile

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If I were going to buy one, I'd scrap the idea of getting a used wooden seal and go for Axtel's Seal Puppet. You can do so much more with it leading up to the trick, AND you can still do the card in balloon as an ending if you wish. Just blow up a balloon that has a tiny neodymium magnet from the craft store rubber cemented into the nozzle end. That will allow the seal to balance the balloon on his nose. Have a duplicate of the force card with a pin stuck through it. You can temporarily stick the pin into the back of the seal's head under cover of showing him the deck of cards. Once the balloon is balanced on his nose, just slam the card's pin into the balloon and grab the card as if it just appeared there, pretending to pull it off his nose. It's a lot more fun than working with a wooden seal placard. I love the idea of having him grab your honker horn and swallowing it, and from then on the honks come from inside him. This is just like the concept I am working on for my "Silent Partners" puppet routines, and no ventriloquism is required!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Lyndel, try David Ginn he does a lot of business in England and he might just have one or he possibly might know where to purchase one. Also, I believe that Duane Laflin used to use this in his show. Check out their websites and give them a call.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 15:44, Regan wrote:
Axtell has a beautiful Seal puppet too!

Regan hit the nail on the head. Get Steve's catalog and watch it, the seal bit is funny. However, you may want to ask and see if you can perform it....
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1606 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Hello Lyndel and Magicgeorge.
Mark is correct. The trick is called (Sadie the seal) it is a Supreme item.
I had it once but sold it to a friend.
The Poz routine is quite funny, it really get the children laughing.
Tricky Ricky.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Thanks to everyone! Unfortunately, the seal puppet by Axtell is not what I'm looking for... It doesn't meet the criteria I need it for.

I was looking specifically for the Supreme/Hughes version. ...And it looks like I may have found one for sale from someone right here on the Café!

Thanks again everyone!

Lyndel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Read this post and help me SEAL the deal! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL