The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups & Balls and 3 Shells too similar for same routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Don Sautter
View Profile
New user
Arizona
58 Posts

Profile of Don Sautter
I was curious what advice you folks might give me on using the 3 shell game as well as cups and balls in the same routine. I am reasonably accomplished with my shells (School for Scoundrels copper shells) and now my cups and balls routine is ready to share.

I am in no way a professional here – usually entertaining after dinner for 2-3 couples in my own living room. But I do like to have a nice structured routine.

Do you think that the 3 shell game and cups and balls are too similar to be in the same routine?

Up to this point I have done a rope effect, silk to egg, and then the 3 shells in a set. Would adding cups and balls to the end of that set seem to be over-using a theme? My initial idea was to introduce the cups and balls after the shells by saying something like: since you are having a hard time following the pea, perhaps it is too small – let me show you these cups and three little balls…

Any thoughts?

Don
vpatanio
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of vpatanio
What if you made your cup and ball final loads be 3 shells and a pea?

I'm not sure how this would turn out, one of the more seasoned professionals may be able to comment.

-Vinny
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I do not perform the 3 shell game, however I di perform the benson bowl, chop cup and cups and balls but I only choose one of those for one performance.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
Maybe if you tied them together like: "These are 2 games that I was forced to play on the streets of New York......."
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Ambaratur,

You've just described 50% of the sidewalk show I do when I bring a table along. I draw my first specs with rope, then go into the shell game as a 'warning' about the difference between street hustlers and buskers.

I actually use 7/8" crochet balls as final loads for my shell game (try and figure that one out why don'tcha Smile ), go into a 3 ball routine and then bring 2 cups to the forefront of the table.

My old avatar was one of me doing the shell game with one cup on the back left corner of my table and one cup on the back right...that is my set up for my 20-minute sidewalk show.

I'll change avatars tonight if I think about it.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Getting a shell game and a cups & balls routine into the same show is simply a matter of creating a flowing routine and coming up with a nice transitional story.

I call the crochet balls "red bellied pea eaters" because, to the spectator, it appears that the pea has change (or been eaten by) a larger red ball.

I then tell a small story about the life and habits of a red bellied pea eater and describe why they're so hard to contain (they pass through solid objects, multiply, disappear at will, etc...)

Patter, patter, patter. Gotta love the patter!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's all in the sell.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Don Sautter
View Profile
New user
Arizona
58 Posts

Profile of Don Sautter
Thanks for the information and insight!

Don
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Don alan used to do the bowl, the chop cup and the big load under a hat all in the same show. Can't beat him and his choice of tricks, it made him rich and famous.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A friend of mine once noted that Don's act was all "closers."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Don Sautter
View Profile
New user
Arizona
58 Posts

Profile of Don Sautter
Great points. I guess my fears are unfounded after all. I guess the ultimate measure will just be the reactions of my guests.

-Don
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I heard Don Alan say that hed did the "three cups" and balls routine. Only he did it one "cup" at a time dispersed throughout his act.

Michael
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Finally got my avatar changed. You'll see the shell game being played with the 2 Comic cups on either side.

PS: I'm not advertising Andy's cups in the previous sentence. I'm avoiding the need for all you cup geeks from having to ask!!!

PPS: I do love Comic cups dearly though...and I'm proud to consider myself a cup geek as well!!!
zifferinolpm
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of zifferinolpm
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 10:17, ambaratur wrote:
I was curious what advice you folks might give me on using the 3 shell game as well as cups and balls in the same routine. I am reasonably accomplished with my shells (School for Scoundrels copper shells) and now my cups and balls routine is ready to share.

I am in no way a professional here – usually entertaining after dinner for 2-3 couples in my own living room. But I do like to have a nice structured routine.

Do you think that the 3 shell game and cups and balls are too similar to be in the same routine?

Up to this point I have done a rope effect, silk to egg, and then the 3 shells in a set. Would adding cups and balls to the end of that set seem to be over-using a theme? My initial idea was to introduce the cups and balls after the shells by saying something like: since you are having a hard time following the pea, perhaps it is too small – let me show you these cups and three little balls…

Any thoughts?

Don

Depends on the type of audience and how much you have in your routine. Rolling from one right into the other is not a great idea in my personal opinion but to put on in and, after about 5 other tricks do another, that might work.
Don Sautter
View Profile
New user
Arizona
58 Posts

Profile of Don Sautter
Thanks again - It worked out fine and everything went off without a hitch. I did the 3 shells before the cups & balls with the silk to egg sucker effect in between.

I think the continuity worked great and using the cups and balls as my closer was nice because it ends clean and the final loads are left for examination.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups & Balls and 3 Shells too similar for same routine? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL