The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memory like an, um, er... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
This might be interesting.

Some mentalism requires that you memorise things to the point of "fluency" (in other words, recall of any part of the data at will). Personally, I naturally think in pictures, so I prefer to memorise things visually too.

But what's your favourite method and why?
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I tack it up on a board, writing it by hand..
then I juggle in front of the board for an hour while reading it...

no idea why -- but that cements it in my mind...
xxx
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
I remember sneakily tossing a post it note on a refidgerator with the Knight's Tour on it at a privar party I once worked. (I did remove it before leaving).

At any rate, I get along fine with the Lorayne stuff.

Cool topic.

DT3
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Old(er) age =hidden cribs = cruel but true.
E.O.I
Esjay Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
Halls of residence
267 Posts

Profile of Esjay Dee
Car number plates.....BCS
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
I've preferred hand written flash cards, as the process of making them and writing the information out (as opposed to printing) helps from the get-go.

While studying with flash cards I also use memory pegs, visualizations and a number of small tricks to cement the information in mind. Repetition, random testing and daily mental run through's all work for me. I find the best way to remember certain things is to PERFORM with the information and anchor into the performances and applications through auto suggestion, etc.

This IS a cool topic!

Best,
J
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
On a more serious note though Jon ,I find memorising numbers a sinch .Easier in small clusters . However Im seriously rubbish with names...
E.O.I
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8446 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Markthorold: Old age, not true. Pick up a copy of my latest book, AGELESS MEMORY (Simple Secrets for Keeping Your Brain Young). Seems as if I wrote it just for you ('cause you'll even be able to remember names.) hl
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Subgenial
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Subgenial
What I do is..............
......er........
Now, what was it?
'Are we here?'
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18820 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Visualising, and dirty, dirty cribs...like the one I was born...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I use a large memory palace to store all sorts of information. With each new body of facts, I add a new room or wing.
Subgenial
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Subgenial
This is of course a very interesting thread as TT2 pointed out.
The memory palace is talked about in DB's latest book - a great idea - unfortunately the bricks of these palaces are made of a quickly mentidegradable material, without constant reaffirming the mortar crumbles and the palaces dissolve.
The 'Holy grail' of memory would be to form and maintain permanent structures. These would have to reside in the unconscious and be consciously accessible - does anyone have any ideas on the construction of permanent memory structures?
I would be refreshing to start a nd maintain a thread where we discussed and developed ideas, as an alternative to immature slagging off....

.....BTW, you all stink!
'Are we here?'
M. H. Goodman
View Profile
Regular user
Dublin, Republic of Ireland
169 Posts

Profile of M. H. Goodman
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 16:30, Subgenial wrote:
The 'Holy grail' of memory would be to form and maintain permanent structures.

Subgenial,

One can never forget moments of heightened emotion or extreme physical sensation. I therefore suggest that you recite the information that you wish to memorise while nailing a bodily appendage of your choice to a length of timber. If that doesn't cause you to remember it, nothing will.
Coinucopia available now at http://coinucopia.blogspot.com.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Sheesh, I picked up the Memory Palace technique of all places reading HANNIBAL - so intrigued was I that I then did get a bunch of midieval and renaissance related books on the subject - and it works! Just like Corinda's #12 the shelf... I still know every item I've ever placed there and for who... like a peanut for a woman named anna...

The memory is a weird thing....

The nice thing about a memory palace is it can be used for Mindfullness and meditation as well... especially if you build a nice pond with a water feature....

As for memory and emotion - its true - there is optimal levels to get it into memory in a healthy way - too much and it acts as a trauma and thus the memory "flashbacks" in various forms that get burnt in part into the hypocampus
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
DeadDave
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
176 Posts

Profile of DeadDave
I, too, learned the "memory palace" technique from "Hannibal" and do use it for some things. But for the most part I rely on Harry's techniques. I remember names forever, but numbers...still practicing!

Having what Harry Lorayne refers to as "Original Awareness" of the thing you're trying to remember seems to be the key for me.
AlexSem
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of AlexSem
Harry Lorrayne is terrific indeed Smile
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I read Harry Lorayne's and Jerry Lucas' "The Memory Book" about 30 years ago, and the system for memorizing a list of objects has remained with me to this day. I don't use it like I used to, but I have been thinking about dusting it off. I know Charles Gauci does a memory routine, does anybody else do on in their performances?

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 16:30, Subgenial wrote:
This is of course a very interesting thread as TT2 pointed out.
The memory palace is talked about in DB's latest book - a great idea - unfortunately the bricks of these palaces are made of a quickly mentidegradable material, without constant reaffirming the mortar crumbles and the palaces dissolve.
The 'Holy grail' of memory would be to form and maintain permanent structures. These would have to reside in the unconscious and be consciously accessible - does anyone have any ideas on the construction of permanent memory structures?
I would be refreshing to start a nd maintain a thread where we discussed and developed ideas, as an alternative to immature slagging off.

In my case, it is quite permanent and I only store those things I wish to remember permanently though I use standard mnemonic techniques to create "memory places" in each area of the house. Example, there is a gallery of tarot cards, arranged according to my memorised deck. With the majors, there are a total of 74 detailed images correlated to specific numerical positions on which to "hang" things.
mindsynced
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of mindsynced
I'm sorry...what was the subject? Must be my sugar.
Keith Brown
Entertainer, Speaker and Author
"Exceeding YOUR Entertaiment Expectations"
www.keithbrownentertainment.com

"Making Magical Memories~Teaching Biblical Truth"
www.keithbrown.org
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Do you guys and gals tend to use the same technique for remembering all groups of data, or does it depend on the type of data? I have an effect that requires me to remember a 12-digit number, so I split it into four groups of three digits each, a little like a telephone number. The weird thing is, I then visualise the groups!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memory like an, um, er... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL