The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » WoodShop To Build Illusion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I hope this question hasn't already been asked, if so please direct me to the right place. My question is in regards to having a local woodshop build a "Zig-Zag Girl" illusion prop for me as well as some other larger illusions. I have the blue prints for them and was intending on building them myself. However, after seeing the plans I felt that I wouldn't be able to build it properly. My concern is that if I was to take the plans to a local woodshop to build them for me, they would not only know how the illusion works, but would also now have the knowledge to build more on their own to sell to the general public. Has anyone ever had a woodshop build illusions for them, and is there anything I can do to assure that they do not reveal the illusion or build others, like some kind of contractual agreement?
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
When you go to a shop that builds illusions, you are also paying for their expertise. A woodworker without a background in illusions won't be able to understand a lot of little details that are involved. You're better off purchasing an illusion from a real builder or used on the magicauction.com. There are some really good deals on there and I've been very pleased with how they conduct their business.

Steve
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Illusions often need to be customized for the size assistant you are using. I've built many of my own, and found it really wise, if not necessary to build cardboard working size models of them first to make "adjustments" so that they work like I need them too. After than you really need someone who knows what they are doing beyond a local cabinet maker. While they can follow the blueprints, I believe you will find that the illusion won't be working like you would like it too.
Either take the time to learn to do it yourself and build your own, or use a builder who has experience in building illusions. You will save yourself a lot of grief and money in the first place. A builder who is building something he doesn't understand how it is supposed to work, even with blue prints, isn't going to turn out a quality product.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
I'm going to "try" to make some illusions for my show. I've got some osborne plans for sub trunk, zig zag, and disembodied princess. don't think I'll even try to make the diembodied princess, cause I have no idea how to make the top gimick part look real.

ever since I made my own table I've sort feel in love with working in wood. I may order some more of the plans. the twister one dosn't seem too hard to make
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Disclosure Agreement.. everyone should use them!
minnich_magic
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of minnich_magic
Dan,
I am presuming by "woodshop" you mean furniture/cabinet shop. Aside from the issue of lack of welding expertise in such a shop, here are other questions to ask:
"Troupability" of the prop: Nowadays, wooden illusions, except for sub trunks, are not the best for long-term wear. Newer materials will hast a lot longer, are weather-resistant, etc. Examples include econolite, which is already enameled one side, and has a high stiffness to weight ratio.

Finish work: Lacquer, though looks great, is not a good finish for the long-haul. Urethanes are better, but can still show scratches, scuffs and other wear.

Hardware: For obvious reasons, cabinet makers are used to wood screws as fasteners- not ideal for illusion hardware. Are they capable of using inconspicuous recessed bolts on their wooden boxes, then priming and painting the bolts as well?

As mentioned above, illusion building requires a skill set much different from tradional woodworking. It would be quite time-consuming for even the shop foreman- better not let him charge by the hour, LOL.

Just my 2 cetnts.

Tom
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
Disclosure Agreement and I believe a School work shop could do you a good job, you might keep the secret part to yourself and do your own final installation. Owln_1
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Gospel Dan, over the years I've build my own illusions, purchased from name shops, and commissioned others to build some.
Of all the props I aquired the one built by a craftsman that was not a magician was by for the worst experience. It took twice as long and the result was mostly wasted money.
If budget is a concern there are many builders available that can create you an illusion at a reasonable cost. ALso watch the popular auction sites for used illusions that are still in good condition.
You can lear to do it yourself with tools and practice but don't expect perfection the first time around.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Sorry for now getting back on here sooner. Busy, busy, busy! Anyhow, thank you all for your input and suggestions. Especially thank you to those who privately messaged me lending me their help with building my own. I will most definately take you up on it once Spring has sprung. I clearly see that the best way to go is to build it myself or have an experienced magician build it for me.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » WoodShop To Build Illusion? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL