The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Taiwanese Cups and Balls routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
JoJo xiansheng, (Mr. JoJo)

Ni Putoghua si hen hao, wode peng you. ( Your mandarin is very good, my friend)

Zai Jien. ( good bye)

Joe H ( Joe H)

(Wo hui shuo yi dien Putonghua) (I am able to speak a little Mandarin)

(unfortunately, not enough to understand everything he was saying :-(
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
For those of you from Rio Linda, benjo is Japanese for toilet.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
MMMMM...it's very interesting as benjo does really mean that. It must be a very old word as now in Japan everyone says: Toile wa doko deska? The Toile is said in a sort of french accent with the inflection on the le at the end of the word. Nowadays many english words are substituted for Japanese words.

As Bill is the banjo master as well, I figured he was saying the Japanese katakana sound for Banjo which would probably sound like "barn-jo"

Joe Howard,

Very impressive my friend. You must have learned your Mandarin from a Mainland Chinese teacher. China says PuTongHua where as in Taiwan it's GwoYu or HuaYu.

Chia-Yo! Chia-Yo!

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
984 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Puthonghua (ÆÕͨ»°) literally translated means 'common language'. GuoYu(¹úÓï)=National Language; HuaYu (»ªÓï)= Chinese Language. So, depends where you are from you refer to it as to locals do. All are simmilar except for the regional accents.

In Malaysia, We call it HuaYu. Smile

<yes, I realise this has nothing to do with magic>
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If someone says "HuaYu" to me, I usually answer, "I'm Bill, Who are you?"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
This program actually made magic very popular in taiwan.
Now taiwan was fulled with amateur magician.
Almost everyone has magician friends!
Many young and newbies amateur magician was eager to be on the show when they was not good enough.
Also this magic program wasn't too professional.
The camera often shoots in the wrong angle ,or maybe the performer isn't good enough(many rookie magician were eager to be on televesion),thus they exposed many magic. Also there is a magician who often intently exposed card magic sleight under the disguise as gambling demonstration. And I was very annoyed by that magician. He claimed to be king of gambler while infact his sleight was just medium level and his knowledge about card magic seemed to be very limited.
Every days lots of televesion program show a lot of magic tricks perfromed by bad performers,and now magic is not that special and amazing anymore.
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Quote:
On 2008-01-20 13:34, Bill Palmer wrote:

When I lived it Taiwan benjo was also used for toilet and the open sewers along the streets. I always assumed it was Mandarin. Of course the Japanese were in Taiwan for quite awhile so the common use of a Japanese word makes sense.
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
I was playing with my Benjo for 2 hours, then I finally gave up and called roto-rooter :-(

Joe H
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2008-01-21 05:52, sychou wrote:

The camera often shoots in the wrong angle....thus they exposed many magic.

Very true for this clip!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Since magic was not amazing and special anymore,my friends and I who are purist of magic turned into a more skill demanding and real magic.
Such as florish,gambling skills,psychological mentalism...
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Quote:
On 2008-01-21 12:38, Mitch Schneiter wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-20 13:34, Bill Palmer wrote:

When I lived it Taiwan benjo was also used for toilet and the open sewers along the streets. I always assumed it was Mandarin. Of course the Japanese were in Taiwan for quite awhile so the common use of a Japanese word makes sense.

Wow Mitch you must have lived there a long time ago. Everyone also understands the Japanese word "O Ji San" Grandad or "O Ba San" Grandma. I never heard the word benjo for toilet, but then again in rural Taiwan, anywhere can be used as a toilet. Many of the very old people in Taiwan only speak Japanese and Taiwanese (Hokkien), and not Mandarin. Mandarin was forced on the people of Taiwan after Chiang Kei-Shek got his a&& whipped by the commies and fled to Taiwan and he banned the local languages from schools and TV and forced everyone to speak Mandarin. Nowadays the local language is taught in nightschool and TV.

Back to hacks in Taiwan revealing the secrets of magic. I can believe it. The local magi there are a very strange lot. Very mis-trusting of each other. They can't even get a club together. Notorius (sp) for stealing each others acts, and copying gimmicks instead of buying them from the originators. Many of them try to set themselves up as the latest new Copperfield or Blaine etc, and are quite good at embelishing and inflating their own skills. I'm sounding rather negative I know, but it really is a strange place for magicians. Xiqual (member here) is a great guy who I met while there, who is a very knowledgable magician and alround good guy.

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Taiwanese Cups and Balls routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL