The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Equivoque Assistance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1151 Posts

Profile of Corbett
If you frequent this forum regularly, then I'm sure you've seen the link to Dan Harlan's thread for his equivoque routine that he did via the Café'

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=127&36

As someone who is trying to polish my skills on this technique, I am looking for someone willing to look at Dan's presentation, and offer what your patter would be if the responses were opposite of what occurred in his original thread?
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
You might get a better response in Inner thoughts..

mescalito
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6352 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
You can contact Dan via the Café. I'm sure he had the responses at the ready.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
M. H. Goodman
View Profile
Regular user
Dublin, Republic of Ireland
169 Posts

Profile of M. H. Goodman
Here’s one possible example of the patter that could be used if the responses were the opposite of those that occurred in the original thread.

Mentalist: Imagine that you have a calendar composed of all twelve months of the year. I'd like you to tear out either the first six months or the last six months. It's entirely your choice. Have you torn out the first six or the last six?

Spectator: The last six months.

Mentalist: Okay, so the first six months are left in the calendar; I'd like you to select any three of those months at random and hand them to me. Which ones have you chosen?

Spectator: February, April and June.

Mentalist: Great, you’ve handed me February, April and June, which leaves January, March and May in the calendar. You are going to tear up one of those remaining months. It really is your decision; tell me which one you'd like to tear.

Spectator: January.

Mentalist: Okay, you’ve chosen to tear up January, so please rip it into several pieces and put it aside with the other discarded months. Now we’re left with March and May. Please select either one.

Spectator: May.

Mentalist: You started with a calendar containing all twelve months, and you narrowed it down until you were left with a choice of only two months. You’ve chosen May, so that is the month we will use. Now, I want you to imagine that I’m holding the first two weeks of May in one hand and the last two weeks of May in the other. Please carefully consider which piece you want to take back. I won't stop you or influence you. First or last?

Spectator: I'll take the first two weeks, please.

Mentalist: Fine, then we’ll use the first two weeks of May. It’s your choice. I'm going to call out the dates that I have starting either from the 1st or the 14th and stopping wherever you like. Which direction should I go? Forward or back? And on which date shall I stop?

Spectator: I think you should start on the 1st and go forward to the 6th.

Mentalist: Well, you had a totally free choice as to whether to start from the 1st of May or the 14th of May, and on top of that you had a totally free choice as to which day to stop on. You’ve chosen the 1st to the 6th of May, so these are the dates that we will use. This means that we now have three odd dates and three even dates. I'm going to hold the odd dates in one hand and the even dates in the other. Don't immediately decide, but I want you to picture either the odd or the even dates beginning to float up into the air. Can you see them? Which ones are floating up in your mind? Odd or even? Again, it is up to you.

Spectator: I am picturing the numbers 2, 4 and 6 floating out of your hand.

Mentalist: You have pictured the even numbers floating out of my hand, which means we are left with the numbers 1, 3 and 5. All I want you to do is to concentrate on those numbers. See them sitting in my hand. Reach forward and grab one.

Spectator: I can see them – I’ve grabbed number 1.

Mentalist: Terrific. You have a wonderful imagination. Let's do it again. With your empty hand, grab another one. Which one?

Spectator: Got one - it's 3.

Mentalist: I had the numbers 1, 3 and 5 in my hand, and you have removed the numbers 1 and 3, leaving me with the 5. A few minutes ago I held an imaginary calendar in my hands. That calendar contained all the days of the year. You removed pages until a single month was left, you selected the odd numbers from that month, and you eliminated those numbers until I was left with a single date in my hand; the 5th of May.
Coinucopia available now at http://coinucopia.blogspot.com.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
953 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Always nice to see someone with a good understanding of the technique! Kudos to M.H.Goodman! He did a fine dissection job (in simplified notation), but always remember that the "heart" of equivoque comes from reinforcing the "fair" and "random" nature of the choices -- the apparent lack of control. If you master this subtlety, you can perform it for someone who knows you are using it and still succeed! Enjoy.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17587 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I loved that thread ... I was THERE ... It was pretty darn cool Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I have had enormous fun in presenting Dan's brilliant routine with some friends via email. It works and have had some spectacular reactions.

So a very big thanks to Dan for this superb effect.

However I think a good way forward is just to perform it, perhaps on your partner or good friend. This way you will be made to think on your feet and as I discovered when performing it via email, I was able to come up with some effective responses. As they say, Practice makes perfect and the more you can practice, I am sure the better and more confident you will become.

Good luck.
M. H. Goodman
View Profile
Regular user
Dublin, Republic of Ireland
169 Posts

Profile of M. H. Goodman
Thanks for the kind words, Dan.

I think that the strength of Dan’s calendar routine lies in the range of different ways in which the choices are presented to the spectator. Since the spectator is asked to make such diverse and dissimilar decisions throughout the course of the routine (one minute being asked to rip months out of an imaginary calendar, the next being asked to visualise dates floating up from the mentalist’s hand), at no point will there be a situation where the spectator makes two comparable decisions which result in two different outcomes.
Coinucopia available now at http://coinucopia.blogspot.com.
Daniel Nicholls
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Nicholls
I love that trick
Close your eyes. Open your senses.
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
Dan's presentation is very good and is certainly worthy of study. I think it's excellent for forcing a specific date.

A friend of mine used this routine (or at least it *sounds* like it was very close... it's been a long time). He forced the person's birthday--the date being way off from the current date. He pulled out an envelope and handed it to him. Opening it, it was a birthday card with the tag line... "I was thinking of you."

An alternate--fast--presentation would be to ask a person to name a date and you pull out a card with the date written on it already. Fast.

Food for thought.

SC
Stuart Cumberland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Equivoque Assistance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL