The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hobson Egg Bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
Got it ... love it!

Can't wait to use!
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1578 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
I recently bought this and have been doing the routine on thelecturenetwork.com

Very Cool!

I will probably perform this on a TV Special Saturday as one of the routines.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2008-04-17 10:40, Cashetta wrote:
Got it ... love it!

Can't wait to use!

Cashetta anyone as fabulous as you are deserves a fabulous egg bag! Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
Well thank you Dan!

How sweet!

I'm working on a routine that demonstrates the very delicate art of hiding my ... oh you know! Smile

Best
Cashetta
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think that's the Hobson "Egg Sack" which I don't beleive is available.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Hayre
View Profile
Regular user
Arkansas
195 Posts

Profile of Hayre
Don't kill the messenger....
Been using a Charlie Miller bag (Malini) for 40 years. I bought one of these, and tried it in a show. My wife said... 'Go back to the 'unlined' bag. It seems obvious there is a lining (different color tipoff) which helps hide the egg'. So I have....she thinks the Malini works differently. Enough said.
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2008-09-10 12:40, Hayre wrote:
Been using a Charlie Miller bag (Malini) for 40 years. I bought one of these, and tried it in a show. My wife said... 'Go back to the 'unlined' bag. It seems obvious there is a lining (different color tipoff) which helps hide the egg'. So I have....she thinks the Malini works differently. Enough said.

I'm assuming that your wife already knew how an egg bag works. So...
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Quote:
On 2008-09-10 12:40, Hayre wrote:

So will you be selling yours?

Let me know...

Ken
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Yeah.. I would get rid of it and never do it again if I was you.

Let us know when you are selling it.

Randi
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I agree, since your wife picked up on the working you should sell the darn thing and go back to your Miller/Malini bag. Plus you will be back in your comfort zone which is critical for a good presentation.

So...when are you putting it up for sale? If the other folks here fall through I'll take it!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
So, if I have the Malini, is it worth the extra $$ to get this one too. In other words, how much better is it? I see on the DVD that you can have the spectator do it in their own hand, which offers an advantage. What others are there, and are they worth paying more for, or is an egg bag an egg bag (especially if it's Malini)?
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Hayre:Please put me on the list for purchase[If you decide to sell].I have one working HEB and one still sealed in it's tube.I wouldn't mind having another opened worker at my disposal.Thanks.

Rich
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Hey, hey, hey...I asked first.

Hayre....Seriously, if you're selling it, let me know. I've got 2 as well, but a third one wouldn't hurt.

Let's do this deal....

Ken
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Mumblemore, an egg bag is an egg bag. However the JHB is a worker. It is a version of the Malini style egg-bag that has been modified according to the dictates of over 1000 performances. It has been made to sell the trick. Jeff Hobson tells you the whys and wherefores of each change he made to the trick. He has proportioned it differently, used a different weight of material to make it, and has made it using two colors. Each change was made from experience and for good reason.

One of the features that sell me on the bag more than the others is the weight of the material used. The egg simply does not “read” from any angle. I often perform in “the round” with spectators all around me (fair and street venues). I can use the JHB completely surrounded and never get busted. You cannot say that for any other Malini style bag! I don’t care how black the black is, the bulge shows in harsh daylight!

You've read at least one post here that finds the older style a better fit for them. Maybe it is for you.

Frankly, the final phase of the trick being done in the spectator’s hands can be done with most egg bags and, in fact is, a critical phase found in many of the older published egg bag routines. That phase is common place EXCEPT with the Malini style bag.

If you were using the Tarbell, Sterling, Mardo, or Standard egg bags you would be performing that phase. Many of the routines developed for those bags used at least on spectator and some used two. The magic happened in the spectator’s hands and under their nose!

The Malini style egg bag and some version of the Ken Brooke routine is the blue eyed boy right now. The Jeff Hobson version is one of the best of this version made. If you are busy working a lot of paid shows then this bag will stand you in good stead. It is a worker.

If you aren’t working all that much stick with the bag you now have. If you have a routine that goes with a specific prop and you can do it blindfolded, sick, or stoned, and a new prop might through you off, by all means stick with your old prop! If you don’t have an egg-bag and don’t know if an egg-bag routine will end up in your act maybe you should start with a Danny Tong version. It is the best quality standard bag for the price one can find.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I have one that I might be willing to sell. If one is interested, just drop me a PM and we can chat.

John
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I've got two egg bags. My Jeff Hobson bag is definitely my favorite and the one I use the most. I've never had anyone ask me about the two-toned bag. They literally look (and feel the) inside of the bag to make sure it is empty.

-Mark
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
246 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Hello everybody!
I appreciate all of your help (especially Harry) for explaining the advantages of my egg bag to Mumblemore. This does bring up a point I've been pondering for a while now. Tell me what you all think - those that have purchased the bag.
Mumblemore is not the only person who has questions like these. When a revised/improved version of a trick comes available, there are plenty of questions from those who don't understand unless someone explained it at length, like Harry did. So, I had the idea for some time now that perhaps I could post the 17 minute version of my explanation of the Hobson Egg Bag on a web page that only magician's could enter (I would put a simple password that all magicians should know, but laymen don't). Then, people like Mumblemore could see all of the details in action and see the why's and how's of it all. I would NOT, however, give anyone access to the private-access page that is included with the HEB package. That, I believe, is where the real secrets of staging and presentation are at. My hesitation would be for the sake of those who purchased the bag since the included CD, and the video on it, would be the one posted for others to see.
Tell me please, all of you loyal HEB users, whataya think??????

Jeff Hobson
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
From a purely selfish point of view I would hope that you never sold another egg-bag leaving me with less competition! LOL!!

However I do understand your desire to sell the bag and get this excellent (eggcellent!) and way different prop into the hands and repertoire of working performers.

I would have no trouble with the explanation of your changes being available for view by those seriously interested. Yep I own two which I purchased directly from Jeff and am working on obtaining a third from an individual interested in selling one (er…sorry Jeff!). I wouldn’t feel slighted or robbed in any way. It is a good idea, it would answer some very basic questions, and I’d say go for it!
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
NW Ont Canada
540 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
Hi Jeff,

That would be fantastic and awfully generous of you.
I use your egg bag frequently and always looking for new ideas.
I have convinced my greastest critic with your egg bag and routine.
Presently I am using your egg bag techniques and combining it with Professor Spellbinder's Egg Cup routines. From cup to egg bag and back to cup.
Thank you Jeff for a great piece of magic.

Eric
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I'm a little leery of the offer and here's why : "YOUTUBE" It WILL find it's way there by some wiseguy who will know the password. This is just too good to even open the door even just a little. I vote nooo-waaaay.
DP
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hobson Egg Bag (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL