The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hobson Egg Bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
238 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Dear "Swamped with Crap",

I really love it when someone "gets it". I think 95% percent of magicians don't and it's sad.
I don't do "fancy" magic to impress myself or other magicians. Sure, I used to perform that type of magic
way back when I did a manipulation act. Even that act had to be chopped up and "de-magic-ed" to appeal
to lay audiences. I think, if I have any talent, it's knowing what matters to a lay audience in terms of magic and entertainment.

I'm very happy that my bag isn't crap.

Thank you for the very kind words!!!! It's a beautiful thing.

Jeff Hobson
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
On 2008-10-27 07:25, Ony Carcamo wrote:
I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGKyjTwvhYI&feature=related

Comments?

Wow... I guess he missed the part of the video where Jeff said to come up with your own routine and not just copy him.

Randi
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Yes.It is sad.
The JHEB is a tool that invites coming up with a original and personal routine.
Imagine if someone had already seen JH perform his routine,and then they witness this poor imitation....or the other way around.Yikes!

Rich
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
I agree, he attempted to do it word-for-word, action-for-action.

Bad, bad, very bad JH imitation.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
238 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
But look how he STUNNED the audience. . . . . or did they look that way when he walked in?

~Jeff Hobson
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-10-29 00:14, jeffhobson wrote:
But look how he STUNNED the audience. . . . . or did they look that way when he walked in?

~Jeff Hobson

HAHAHHAHA! So funny!

That's why you are the man!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
mjdowden
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of mjdowden
OH MY GOD!!! Firstly I can't believe that he has literally copied Jeff WORD FOR WORD even down to the "Ooo Ahh, Ooo Ahh!" "I'm back...miss me?", "Slow motion Lighting" "little moose little gel!" and "...what was that?" etc...the list goes on, but mostly what I can't believe is that he has posted it on youtube for the world to see, as though he is proud of it. I was laughing out loud as I counted each and every thing he'd stolen.

One thing I will say to anyone just getting into the egg bag is that when Jeff says come up with your own routine, I don't think (and correct me if I'm wrong here Jeff) he means completely re-invent the wheel. After all, the egg bag is a simple trick. The egg goes into the bag and vanishes, and then reappears. Now if you follow the techniques that Jeff teaches (and I recommend that you do as its very clean) then you ARE going to end up with a similar "structure" to Jeff's, but the important bit is to "build" "on" and "around" that in a way that fits your character. The "slow motion" bit, "little moose, little gel" and other gags that I've mentioned above are all organic and in keeping with his character.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't just copy Jeff, but on the other hand, don't beat yourself up if you don't instantly come up with something that is completely original. I imagine that it took Jeff years to end up with the finished article that he has today.

Start off by performing the egg bag as it is...by making the egg vanish, reappear, vanish and then reappear in their hands, basically the way Jeff does it but without his bits of business, because it is an amazing trick in any case. While you're doing it, explain what you're doing and try to interact with the audience. Follow Jeff's instruction and you will come up with little bits as you perform it more and more. Before you know it, you've got your own routine that suits you.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone agrees or disagrees.
mjdowden
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of mjdowden
...Also, what the hell is that banging all the way through in the background??? Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5322 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The door was locked and that was an audience member trying to get out! He failed!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
mjdowden
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of mjdowden
Haha...love it! Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-10-30 21:06, Harry Murphy wrote:
The door was locked and that was an audience member trying to get out! He failed!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

:rotf:
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I thought it was someone banging their head against a wall...

Ken
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
249 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
The egg included with the bag are awesome. I intentionally drop it on the ground as part of my act. I doubt it will ever break, but it's nice that jeff includes two eggs with his product.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If you have 2 eggs you could use 2 eggs in your routine. I've considered that myself.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1619 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Got the bag, love it! After four weeks I feel I have an original introduction to lead into the routine.

I feel it may take me a while to develop this further but I'm enjoying playing around so much. In all my years of magic I've never put so much effort into a simple routine.

I feel that making it yours is all part of the fun...except for the wife who absolutly hates the thing down to my repetitive practicing.

She even had a dream she was performing it her self she's seen it that much!

My only fear is that she will burn the thing before I actually get to road test it!
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
samdan
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of samdan
I am seeing Jeff perform this evening and am intrigued by the egg bag. I realize that the effect is dependent on the performer, but is the egg bag effect an effect that you experts out there would recommend for hobbyists doing magic for family and friends? Thanks for the input.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Celebrity:Keep at it.Even though I performed with the Sterling style EB for over two decades....it took me a couple of months of getting used,and devloping a unique routine before I felt comfortable performing the JHEB for real folks.Let me tell you it was worth it.

samdan:Sure you could..there is no difference IMO.It's just that based on some previous comments by members here...it seems that the JHEB's real value seems mostly to be recognized by those who work professionally.You may turn out to be an exception to the rule...only you can decide that.
There are other fine egg bags available if you do not want to spend the $ on the JHEB.I hope you enjoy Jeffs performance.

Happy trails.
Rich
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1991 Posts

Profile of puggo
To me, it is very important to come up with an original presentation of a marketed routine, but I think that MJDowden makes a good point that you should not feel bad if you don't change every detail. As Matthew (and many others) point out, developing a routine takes time and evolves after being 'field tested'.

Perhaps this is not a problem to me, as I am still trying to gain proficiency with a Bazar de Magia Malini egg bag (to see if it is a prop that suits my style). Do any of you experienced egg-baggers think the (cheapish) B de M egg bag is a reasonable prop for learning?

I have 'Jeff Hobson Live!', and I just love watching it. I found myself laughing out loud even after several viewings.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5322 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Puggo, you’ve read all the reviews and arguments both pro and con of the various styles and makes of egg-bags. I know that it can get confusing so let me say this: it doesn’t make any difference! An egg bag is an egg bag is an egg bag. They all do the same thing! They vanish and reproduce and egg. Some are better built and can withstand hard use that accompanies being a working professional. Some speak to the weaknesses that are often perceived in the construction of egg-bags. Then some simply look and feel better than others. Even so, they all do the same thing.

Bottom line is really simple. Find a style of bag you like and learn to use it. I would say that until you really know that you are going to include an egg bag in your act (or if you are just experimenting to see if you will actually use an egg-bag) then go for inexpensive. I would even recommend that you make your own. It is not difficult, there are no moving parts and it is not rocket science.

If you already have a strong routine and know the egg bag is a permanent fixture in your act then buy (or have made) the best most durable prop you can afford in the style that you use.

To the audience it’s just a cloth bag and that is all is it supposed to be.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hobson Egg Bag (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL