The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hobson Egg Bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
Don't hate the playa' hate the game

OK... you talked me into it...wait... Smile

Randi
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
754 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Danny, I sold my chain illusions. The problem I had in a street act with people up close in full light they picked out the gimmick right away.
The effect was good but didn't work for me due to mechanical reasons.
Interesting I was told by someone the construction changed a bit during the construction run but I could never confirm that.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Paul Gross
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of Paul Gross
Randi,

Thanks for your order. Your Hobson Egg Bag shipped out this afternoon. You should have it in a few days. Enjoy!

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Best Regards,

Paul Gross

Owner

http://www.hocus-pocus.com
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Thanks Paul... you know that I always order from you.
I got free shipping, right? Smile

Randi
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1876 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2008-01-20 20:05, Danny Hustle wrote:
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

In regard to the Hobson product, how do the Hobson eggs compare to a blown egg?

Thanks
ASW
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2008-01-23 03:52, ASW wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-20 20:05, Danny Hustle wrote:
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

In regard to the Hobson product, how do the Hobson eggs compare to a blown egg?

Thanks
ASW

I personally think they are great. BUT there is a school of thought that thinks you should ONLY use a blown egg because of the delicacy of the egg and the way that most egg bag routines repeatedly 'prove' there is no egg in the bag by smacking them and beating them from hell to breakfast. It is a valid point, but the Hobson handling 'shows' the bag empty and the size and hardness of the egg really sells the over all effect.

For me, the Hobson egg is fantastic, but depending on what your routine and ultimate expectation is YMMV. The good news is a blown egg will work just fine with the Hobson bag. For me personally as a guy who does between seven and eight shows per week all over the place the indestructible Hobson egg is the way to go. If I personally were using blown eggs I know I would show up at a gig with a busted shell and no trick. This has happened to me in the past with the perfect egg. The perfect egg is a GREAT egg but it can still be crushed. For someone that does a lot of shows there is no worse feeling than being ready to do a gig for a couple hundred people only to go into your case and find your egg is crushed and the nearest supermarket is twenty minutes away and you go on in ten. As I said, it happened to me before and is another reason why I had dropped the trick from my show.

I can tell you with the Hobson Handling and bag the audience is floored and has no problem accepting the 'fake' egg. The fact that it is solid is what sells the effect in this case.

I guess that was a long way to go to really just say that it is a matter of apples and oranges. The two are different things all together.

From the stage, nobody would suspect it was a fake egg unless your spectator/helper told them. With proper audience management that isn't a problem.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1876 Posts

Profile of ASW
Thanks Danny - much appreciated.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

Hideo Kato
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
I can't remember whether it was in Genii or Magic that there was a point made on the review of this. The one possible weakness noted was that the bag was two toned. Johnny Thompson used to use a two toned bag, but went back to a one toned bag. The fact that there are two tones implies that there is two layers of cloth, which could possibly lead the more astute in your audience to the workings of the trick, at least partially.

Bob Phillips
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'll go by Danny's experience and bow to his expertise.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2008-01-25 10:09, bobn3 wrote:
I can't remember whether it was in Genii or Magic that there was a point made on the review of this. The one possible weakness noted was that the bag was two toned. Johnny Thompson used to use a two toned bag, but went back to a one toned bag. The fact that there are two tones implies that there is two layers of cloth, which could possibly lead the more astute in your audience to the workings of the trick, at least partially.

Bob Phillips

That's magician over thinking I believe, this bag is not giving anything away. I just worked a corporate gig tonight and did this trick five or six times in a row for different tables and trust me when I tell you, these people were gob smacked! This bag has an answer for every theory a spectator might have. The spectators that were helping me with the trick had absolutely NO CLUE the egg was in the bag. One lady when I handed her the bag for the final revelation kept watching ME because she was trying to figure out how I was going to sneak the egg into the bag while she was holding it. These were all very educated people, many of them engineers. The smarter you are, the harder you fall with this thing. It isn't a challenge, and the structure of the routine is such that everything is so openly shown, and freely handled, there is nothing to see. You don't have to prove it's empty because you show them it's empty. Once people see something they believe it. With Hobson's handling this bag appears empty.

Theories are great, and I'll be honest with you, that two tone argument has a logical application. It just does not fit with this prop.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Just got my egg bag, watched the videos, and have been playing around with it.

I would like to reiterate what Danny has said.
This is a nice egg bag.
The construction is very nice and the design works great.
The material is great and you can't see the egg in there at all.

The eggs are nice too.
When you first look at them, you think they are just toy eggs.
But they are hard as a rock and light at a feather.
These are nice.

And Jeff's handling is perfect.

Very happy with my purchase and can't wait to perform with it.

Randi
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Oh... and the two toned thought.
Thinking that the two-tone will show that it's double thickness is definately a magicians "over thinking".
If any spectator ever would think that, they would think the same about an all black egg bag.
When they notice that they can not see any stitches, that too tells them that it's double walled.

So I disagree with that thought.
I like the two toned.

Randi
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1876 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2008-01-26 16:41, randirain wrote:
Oh... and the two toned thought.
Thinking that the two-tone will show that it's double thickness is definately a magicians "over thinking".
If any spectator ever would think that, they would think the same about an all black egg bag.

Right. It's all about the handling - the convincers. Check out "Ken Brooke On The Malini Eggbag" which is probably one of the best handlings. When you slap the crap out of the bag, the audience will be convinced there's no way an egg could survive. (Pete Biro drew the illustrations for this set of notes, IIRC).

ASW

Hideo Kato
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
238 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Wow. . . all hub-bub about a silly egg and bag trick.

I love it when people "get it".

Thank you all - especially Danny - for all of the very kind words and thoughts on this humble trick.

Jeff Hobson
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I was going to get this, but heard Jeff gives no instruction on the classic pass.

ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1876 Posts

Profile of ASW
I'd leave the comedy to Jeff.

;)

Hideo Kato
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
David Regal talks about this on Reel Magic Quarterly #3 ( which, is a must have ) and shows the bag.

WOW-I agree, the two tone is brilliant and I LOVE the size.

Anyone ever see Jeff perform in person? He's so good, you almost think about never performing yourself again.

cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Jeff's scheduled to appear at Stan Kramien's Northwest Magic Jamboree in April. I hope to see him there!

Curt
awolf10421
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of awolf10421
From watching Jeff perform over the years and seeing him use many different bags and also listening to him lecture ....he has de-bugged the heck out of this thing ...you would think no one could do such a thing with something so simple as an egg bag but he has.....right down to the egg!!! NO JOKE ....sounds nuts but this is prob. his #1 pet effect ..... I think if you saw his lecture on the effect you would understand why the bag is two tone ...... trust me .... and yes it sounds like a lot of $$$ but then again these are hand made ONE by ONE by him and his wife CHUCK!!!
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Danny,

Appreciate your comments on Hobson's egg bag. Being on oversized, big handed magician (...big hands I know you're the one..!), this is an important point for me. I have an egg bag made by Lynetta Welch according to Wakelings specs in his book--yet enlarged for my hand size.

Would be interested in Hobson's bag just for the handling alone.

A quality made bag is great, but since my gal is an expert seamstress she makes anything I want out of any material I want which is a huge benefit (had Lynetta make my other bags prior to meeting up with my gal). Often I end up having her remake fabric stuff for me. She made a number of absolutely killer rip apart and drawstring change bags for me.

Anyway, Danny, I just wanted to say thanks for your info about Hobson's bag and to thank Jeff and Hocus-Pocus for making it available to us.

John J.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hobson Egg Bag (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL