The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Yigal Mesika's Loops and Lighting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JMagi
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of JMagi
Hello all,

I recently received my set of Yigal Mesika's loops in the mail Smile. This is my first time with any sort of IT, and I am amazed at how near it comes to really being invisible.

Anyway, to my question. In the instructions, it warns to pay attention to lighting, but does really elaborate. What kind of lighting and backgrounds are good and which are bad? I can't really judge this on how well I can see them because I know what I am looking for.

Thanks,
JMagi
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
I've noticed that flourescent lighting can be a bit of a problem with the loops.
What is the color of magic?
JMagi
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of JMagi
OK. What else should I watch out for? What is the best background for loops effects? Is it better to use a background with different colors or a black close up pad or a white shirt, or what?

Thanks,
JMagi
richgerb86
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, Pa.
204 Posts

Profile of richgerb86
Watch out for any strong overhead lighting, also bright sunlight. I almost got caught a couple times doing effects outside. I never really had a problem with any kind of back round.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Generally, it's the lighting BEHIND you that's a problem. Situate yourself so there isn't strong lighting behind you, or if there is, use your body to block it. Also, a dark patterned background is best.
JMagi
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of JMagi
I appreciate everyone's help. So if outside, I guess it is best to perform in your shadow.

I have one more question. How close should you let the spectators get to the thread? I know where it is so I can almost always see it, but I don't know how observant the average layperson will be.

Thanks,
JMagi

I just thought of one more question... Smile

For those of you who use loops, do you keep them on your wrists throughout the day? It seems like a good idea, but they can still be seen (it looks like you have a hair on your wrist). Of course, this could just be because I know what I am looking for.

Thanks again for all your advice,
JMagi
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
You've already gotten some good advice but I'll go over some of the basics of IT lighting. I hope they answer some of your questions.

The first thing you have to decide when you're about to perform is the general lighting of the entire room. If the room isn't to bright, then you have to look for any dominant lighting that might be near by.
It's true, sun light and fluorescent lighting isn't good for IT work, they're not always your enemy. They can actually be used to your advantage in some cases.
Remember, the rarely ever see the thread itself, if they see anything, it's usually the light reflecting off the thread that they see. This is why they'd sometimes say they see fish line or wire if they say they see anything. Lighting reflecting off the thread kind of looks like those things.

Whenever possible, cast a shadow over the thread using your body or anything around. This is how those bright lights can actually work to your advantage. A bright light will create a stronger shadow.
And if the dominant light source is behind you, your body would cast a shadow over the thread.

Also remember that even though IT is almost microscopic, the thread is round. Light will bounce of it at an angle. So when alight source is behind you, the refection of light will shine off the thread on your side, not the spectators side. So that will make it harder to see.

All this about the light shining off the thread also explains why black is the worse color for the background. The shine of light bouncing off the thread will show up more over a dark background. So stay away from black and white as a background unless it has a pattern.

I hope that helps. Always remember the golden rule to IT work.

When in doubt, leave it out!

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
JMagi
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of JMagi
I appreciate your informative reply Jaxon. I have a much better idea about lighting now.

Unfortunately, I just broke my first loops yesterday, I didn't realize it was still hooked on to my hand and I moved my hands too far apart. Oh well, 1 down, 4 to go Smile

By the way, do you Jaxon or does anyone else have Mesika's book: Animated Miracles? I was wondering what everyone's general opinion on it was.

Thanks again,
JMagi
PaulEds
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of PaulEds
Hello JMagi
Yes the Animated Miracles book is worth getting. It's a pretty slim book, but there are a few excellent routines in it. Notably the spinning fork, and touch (excellent, excellent trick). I said routines in the above sentence, this isn't strictly true, the book consists of tricks and straightforward descriptions/explanations. At least this should force you to come up with your own routines and presentations.

I would recommend the book, if only for the above 2 routines (also note that 2 of the routines explained in the book also come with a pack of loops when you buy them - making it an even slimmer volume if you already possess the loops!!)
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
How much does the booklet sell for?
Any day I'm walking on top of the grass instead of looking up at the roots is a good day!
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1648 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
The Loops booklet sells for $20, but is really worth it if you want to get full use out of Loops. For me, it's the best way to use IT -- no reels, no hassles.

They DO break, though, if you leave them on your wrist all day. You're bound to snag the loop while pushing up your sleeve, jamming your hand into a pocket, etc. I put a loop on my wrist just before I plan to use it, then remove it sometime soon after.

Just moving a pen or fork a little bit on a tabletop can be a devastating effect -- far better than making a fork whirl madly, in my opinion. And it's easy to do.

Tip: Use a table with a patterned surface or cloth on it, for maximum invisibility.

Cheers,
Jerry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Yigal Mesika's Loops and Lighting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL