The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Bicycle cards aginst Tally-ho's (my opinion) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
Ok here's the deal: My bikes last one week for one deck. I bought a Tally-ho deck at Ken Sand's magic shop a while ago (about a month) and I still am using them. For anybody who has been thinking of getting some, GET THEM! Tally-ho's are the BEST cards I have ever played with! They faro better too! And I like the back (original circle back) better than bicycles!...Do they sell tally-ho's in 12 packs? If not where can I find them real cheap?


Thanks in advance,
MAx
white hats rule.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I used to use Tally Ho Circles, but opted for Bicycles as most people were more familiar with them. As to quality, when I'm working one doesn't necessarily outlast the other. As for purchasing them in larger amounts, Haines House of Cards will sell them to you.

Steven
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
941 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Tally-Ho's are practically unknown in my area, but I agree they are better overall.

I just use bicycles because I abuse cards, and am too incomprehensibly cheap to put forth.
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
May I ask the URL for Haines House of Cards? Also I forgot to mention the original circle back Tally-Ho cards are good for doing "pirouette"


-Max
white hats rule.
Otis Day
View Profile
Regular user
Green Bay, WI
150 Posts

Profile of Otis Day
Go to Google and do a search for Haines House of Cards. It will come right up for you. That's what I do anytime I want info on something...go to Google. Good luck.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Who is it that started this silly stuff about "people recognize Bicycles, other brands look suspicious", anyway? That's pure hokum. Cards are cards are cards. If you look in most houses, I'd wager that the majority of decks of cards in houses not containing a magician are actually souvenir or advertising cards of some kind, or cards with pictures of cute little kittens on them.

The only people I've ever met who think T-Hs, or any other deck, looked "suspicious" were other magicians.

I honestly think that the "non-Bikes look suspicious" argument has even less merit than the "which color is best?" debate (at least the latter has some psychological background to go with it).

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
I do see some logic in the argument that red back cards blend a little better when you palm them as opposed to blue cards.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27037 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
we could pool our observations about this...

In the four households I visit there are just bridge cards for the family and...

In the one with a card player there are two OLD decks, 1 bikes and 1 bees.

What have your found?

-jon

PS, for magic, I have my TallyHo Blue Back Circle design cards and some unopened decks and gaffs that are 20+ years old now.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Elijahhenry
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Elijahhenry
Ah Hell!!!

I use Steamboats!!!

E. Henry Smile
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
Quote:
On 2003-03-04 01:39, Andy Leviss wrote:
Who is it that started this silly stuff about "people recognize Bicycles, other brands look suspicious", anyway? That's pure hokum. Cards are cards are cards. If you look in most houses, I'd wager that the majority of decks of cards in houses not containing a magician are actually souvenir or advertising cards of some kind, or cards with pictures of cute little kittens on them.

The only people I've ever met who think T-Hs, or any other deck, looked "suspicious" were other magicians.

I honestly think that the "non-Bikes look suspicious" argument has even less merit than the "which color is best?" debate (at least the latter has some psychological background to go with it).

--A



Exactly. Even if people think they are "suspicious" what does it matter? They can look at the cards if they want. I think whats funnier is that I have never seen a Tally-ho gaff or gimmick Smile


-Max
white hats rule.
Jem
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
342 Posts

Profile of Jem
Quote:
On 2003-03-03 22:01, gtxby33 wrote:
Ok here's the deal: My bikes last one week for one deck. I bought a Tally-ho deck at Ken Sand's magic shop a while ago (about a month) and I still am using them. For anybody who has been thinking of getting some, GET THEM! Tally-ho's are the BEST cards I have ever played with! They faro better too! And I like the back (original circle back) better than bicycles!...Do they sell tally-ho's in 12 packs? If not where can I find them real cheap?


Thanks in advance,
MAx


I agree with you, Max. I have found, in my own personal experience, that Tally Ho's last a little longer than Bikes. And yup, I think they indeed Faro slightly better too. Its just a pity that Tally Ho's are a bit harder to come by than Bikes.

Cheers! Smile
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1245 Posts

Profile of MagicT
One thing about Tally Ho's that no one has mentioned yet is that they have a Linoid finish them, which makes it easier to Faro and also allows them to last a little longer. They are also thicker than Bikes. I personally enjoy using Tally Ho, yet I have no problem using a Bicycle deck.

Flip,
Regarding your comment about red backs blending in better when palming than do blue back cards, how about we come up with Flesh Colored Bicycle Back or Tally Ho Back cards. This should help the cards blend in a little more. Just a thought. LOL


Best,
Trini
Trini Montes
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1436 Posts

Profile of jcards01
http://www.haineshoc.com or
http://www.kardwell.com

Both places sell the cards.

I forget the Canadian address but the Canadian branch of US Playing Cards, puts out bicycle cards that are of the old feel. The ones put out in the US have changed over the years.

Jim Molinari
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
Ech... They still cost soooooo much money... I'm used to buying 12 bicycle packs for $13.49...


-MAx Smile
white hats rule.
Ozer4
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
332 Posts

Profile of Ozer4
I like bikes, but haven't used tally-hos so i can't say for certain which I like better. Smile
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3078 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
How do Hoyle and Bee compare? Bee is usually recomended for 3 card montes.
DavyBoy
View Profile
New user
Dorset UK
71 Posts

Profile of DavyBoy
To take Andy L's point further,if you asked anyone (non-magician) in England to name a manufacturer of cards the response would be ehh mm,got me there.
Bikes,Bees,Tally's etc are just unknown here.People are probably more suspicious here about them because of the American origin (if they see USPPC on the box).
The main make of cards here is from a company called Waddington's,there are ok but only in bridge size and are thicker than Bikes.
Personally I flit between Bikes or Bees depending on the routine.

Cheers,
DavyBoy
Smile
walterh
View Profile
New user
New York
63 Posts

Profile of walterh
I have found bikes to be the most inconsistantly manufactured cards made. Many times there are differences in the thickness of the cards from deck to deck, and most offensively... many times the deck has not been cut straight!!! The borders and faces are cut off center. I have rarely seen this with Tally-Ho. If all card tricks sold gave you a choice between Bike or Tally-HO, I would buy T-Ho hands down. They just plain out have a better feel.

Unfortunatley, most all tricks, gimmicks and gaffs are made in bike. This was not the case 20 or so years ago when many if the same tricks available today were made in T-Ho. For some reason everything changed to bike.

I miss the old days!
Jack Bryce
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh UK
130 Posts

Profile of Jack Bryce
I used to use T-Ho cards but changed when most if not all of the gimmicks and joke cards available (picture of my kids, pride and joy etc etc) were printed in Bike stock. Not that I use these much but do on odd occasions!

I also used to use Fox Lake or Aviator cards at one time (showing my age now) and most of the gimmicks were available for these cards too but that stopped about the same time as everything seemed to move to Bike stock.

I've used Bikes so long I wouldn't go back now! I am sure Bikes used to be in the same finish as T-Ho cards and then they changed but maybe my senile dementia is setting in and my memory is failing, so someone will probably correct me on this!

Flip: I always thought that palming a card was supposed to be invisible to the lay public so why does it matter what back design or colour a palmed card is? If anyone can see my palm I would think I need more practice! Smile
http://www.jackbrycemagic.co.uk

I never forget a face but in your case I will gladly make an exception...Groucho Marx
walterh
View Profile
New user
New York
63 Posts

Profile of walterh
Quote:
On 2003-03-04 17:19, Jack Bryce wrote:
I used to use T-Ho cards but changed when most if not all of the gimmicks and joke cards available (picture of my kids, pride and joy etc etc) were printed in Bike stock. Not that I use these much but do on odd occasions!

I also used to use Fox Lake or Aviator cards at one time (showing my age now) and most of the gimmicks were available for these cards too but that stopped about the same time as everything seemed to move to Bike stock.

I've used Bikes so long I wouldn't go back now! I am sure Bikes used to be in the same finish as T-Ho cards and then they changed but maybe my senile dementia is setting in and my memory is failing, so someone will probably correct me on this!

Flip: I always thought that palming a card was supposed to be invisible to the lay public so why does it matter what back design or colour a palmed card is? If anyone can see my palm I would think I need more practice! Smile



I do believe your are right (and not going senile) regarding the finish on bikes being similar, if not the same as T-Ho years ago.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Bicycle cards aginst Tally-ho's (my opinion) (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL