The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Bicycle cards aginst Tally-ho's (my opinion) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jack Bryce
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh UK
130 Posts

Profile of Jack Bryce
Thanks Walterh, I thought I could remember a time when Bikes were just as good as T-Ho cards! I will still use Bikes as I said I've used them too long now to change! Smile
http://www.jackbrycemagic.co.uk

I never forget a face but in your case I will gladly make an exception...Groucho Marx
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Quote:
On 2003-03-04 01:39, Andy Leviss wrote:
Who is it that started this silly stuff about "people recognize Bicycles, other brands look suspicious", anyway? That's pure hokum. Cards are cards are cards. If you look in most houses, I'd wager that the majority of decks of cards in houses not containing a magician are actually souvenir or advertising cards of some kind, or cards with pictures of cute little kittens on them.

The only people I've ever met who think T-Hs, or any other deck, looked "suspicious" were other magicians.

I honestly think that the "non-Bikes look suspicious" argument has even less merit than the "which color is best?" debate (at least the latter has some psychological background to go with it).

--A

Am I missing something? Who ever said that Tally Ho's were suspicious? Nobody in this thread. What was said, is that people are more familiar with bicyles.
samthemagical
View Profile
New user
Grand Rapids, MI
90 Posts

Profile of samthemagical
I personnaly collect decks. Makes patter a lot easier if you HAVE the 'cute ikkle kittens' on the back, or the peacocks, or the airplanes, or the...
I have never found anyone to be suspicious if I handle the cards as if the were what I always use...and the ARE what I always use!
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
Quote:
On 2003-03-04 20:53, Steven Steele wrote:
Quote:
Who is it that started this silly stuff about "people recognize Bicycles, other brands look suspicious", anyway? That's pure hokum. Cards are cards are cards. If you look in most houses, I'd wager that the majority of decks of cards in houses not containing a magician are actually souvenir or advertising cards of some kind, or cards with pictures of cute little kittens on them.

The only people I've ever met who think T-Hs, or any other deck, looked "suspicious" were other magicians.

I honestly think that the "non-Bikes look suspicious" argument has even less merit than the "which color is best?" debate (at least the latter has some psychological background to go with it).

--A

Am I missing something? Who ever said that Tally Ho's were suspicious? Nobody in this thread. What was said, is that people are more familiar with bicyles.

It's not specifically in this thread, but in TONS of others....

-Max

Quote:
On 2003-03-04 17:48, Jack Bryce wrote:
I will still use Bikes as I said I've used them too long now to change! Smile

It's never too late to change! Smile
white hats rule.
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
551 Posts

Profile of debaser
HANDS DOWN TALLY-HOS

First of all they feel much better out of the box (less time to break in) When i got back into magic the first thing i did was had Niel make me a bunch of useful gaffs in tally-ho.

They are also a better design (both fan and circle backs.

However I have had people ask "What kind of cards are those" People who play cards alot atleast in the midwest are much more familiar with Bicycle decks. But I wouldnt give up my tally hos for anything.

Matt
dgcuff
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
193 Posts

Profile of dgcuff
Quote:
I forget the Canadian address but the Canadian branch of US Playing Cards

International Playing Card Co. Ltd.
140 Renfrew Drive, Unit 204
Markham, Ontario
L3R 6B3

1-800-265-5674
905-477-2273
Links to help Canadian magicians
http://magicinfo.ca/

Follow me on twitter
@magicinfo_ca
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Jim,

In a post above, you mentioned some Canada/US differences in bike's finishes.

What do you think the difference is in the finish between the US vs Canadian Bicycle cards? The box looks different, that much I know, as well as the Jokers. But I haven't been able to compare finishes...

And if there is a difference, perhaps could this be exploited in the same way that differences between the 2 finishes of Bee brand cards were once used? (i know they don't make the Bee cards in the 2 finishes anymore)...
tjo'
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
Coming from England the first deck I used was Waddingtons which has been previously explained as pretty much the only "over the counter" cards you can purchase here. The quality for card handling is not great. When I started to get into magic I was told to use Bikes as these were the best available. They are much better quality than Waddingtons, but I used to find that they have a tendency to warp slightly under adverse conditions. When I discovered Tally ho's I had no such trouble. They are slightly stiffer than bikes, definitly faro better and have a much more solid feel. The only disadvantage with them is that most fekes and packet tricks are printed on Bike stock. But for me Tally Ho's beat Bikes into a cocked hat.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is a very interesting thread for a number of reasons. Several years ago when I was manufacturing a couple of card items, these same statements were being bandied about. I contacted USPCCo directly to purchase cards. According to them, the paper and the finish used on Tally-Ho's were exactly the same paper used on Bikes.

They did specify that they have two finishes. One is called "linen," "linoid," or "air-cushion." The other is usually called "ivoroid" or "smooth." Tally-Ho and Bicycle are generally avaliable only in the linen or air-cushion finish. The air cushion finish that was available during the 1950's was different, but that changed sometime about 1970 or so, when the company did some streamlining of their production techniques.

To be sure, I have felt the same differences, myself. They show up even more graphically with some of the less well known USPCCo cards, such as 500. Maybe it's because these cards are manufactured in smaller quantities. Maybe the Tally-Ho's (which are primarily for the New York Market) sit for a longer time in the warehouse and undergo some mysterious transformation. Smile

Maybe the quality control isn't as strict when they are running bikes. I notice the greatest difference between "bargain" bikes that you find on sale at grocery stores for relatively low prices and bikes that you find at the better retail outlets. It seems that the bikes I find on sale may not have the smoother edges that you find on the ones that have had some time taken with them ... and the Tally Ho's.

Could be that the cheaper cards come at the end of the run.

Who knows? It all adds to the mystique and legends of the playing cards.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I recently contacted US Playing card about a large custom card order and the sales rep did note that the finish on Tally-Hos was different from that on a Bike deck.

Simply put, the Tally Ho finish is smoother. I'm not sure about the technical aspects that lead to the difference in quality between the two decks, but the finish is indeed different.

To answer the question initially posed on this post, I love the Tally-Ho navy fan back deck and Tally-Ho Ace of Spades designs best out of all decks.

Here's an interesting factoid, the Tally-Ho navy fan deck was used twice on an episode of the HBO series The Sopranos, but I understand Tally-Hos to be more prevalent in the greater NY and NJ area which would be consistent with the show. For reference, AJ moved in with Tony on this episode.
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
For those interested, run a search on cards and you will find lots of information.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I have heard such good things about Tally's....but honestly, when I see anything besides Bikes, or Bees, or some other major brand, I think GAFF.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
thk5353
View Profile
Regular user
Northern New Jersey
183 Posts

Profile of thk5353
Honestly I've had no one question the Tally-Ho's when I perform an effect to people. Maybe the adults have a stereotype, but I usually perform for my friends at school. Most kids can't even distinguish between a bicycle and an aviator, they play around with cheap bridge-sized plastic cards from Disney World. Or maybe they just don't care if the cards are gaffed or not.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I personally feel the differences are purely cosmetic. I have some Tally's (Circle and Fan) as well as League, Regular Bikes, Tacticals, Bee and a few others. After about an hour of use, they all feel pretty much the same to me. That's only my opinion. Your experience may vary.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2953 Posts

Profile of niva
Quote:

--A

I will have to completely disagree with you Andy. At least here in Malta it's not that way. Bicycle cards are very very rarely seen. I think it must be only magicians who are using them. After some effects with a normal deck, they question whether it is gimmicked. Then I explain that I use these cards because they last much longer than others available here. And if I can I usually let them inspect the deck.

Quote:
On 2004-04-08 13:51, Astinus wrote:
I have heard such good things about Tally's....but honestly, when I see anything besides Bikes, or Bees, or some other major brand, I think GAFF.

It would have to be the other way, because as far as I know one rarely finds gaffs made for cards other than Bikes.

That is how the audience thinks.
Yours,

Ivan
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27034 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I've had a couple of bicycle decks for a WHILE and have not gotten them broken in to where I'm happy with them.

I'll stick with the Tally Ho circle back design cards.

When Gaffed to the Hilt came out, I got a special set made.

My wildcard uses Tally Ho cards (well the advertising cards really)

For whatever reason I prefer those cards.

You may find a brand and design that suits you.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
luismagic
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of luismagic
Tally Hos are a better card than Bikes, in terms of thickness, faro, and they last, because of the finish. Bees, according to USPC, are printed on the best stock of any of their cards. But are thinner.

As far as a spectator being supisious of the cards in play–if you use Bikes and perform an amazing card trick—spectators will first assume your using trick cards. Even if they’re Bikes. That’s the specctators first out.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2953 Posts

Profile of niva
That's also true.
Yours,

Ivan
craigm
View Profile
New user
Brighton, UK
9 Posts

Profile of craigm
A lot of people over here in England seem to get suspicious when I pull a pack of bikes out of my pocket - people aren't used to them, and are only really familiar with Waddingtons bridge cards (as someone said earlier in the thread.) Personally I'd never even heard of Tally Hos until reading this thread, but I think bikes are splendid. They just tend to 'feel' better than other cards, like Bees. Then again it's probably just because I'm used to bikes Smile
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I think the only difference between Bikes & Tally Ho's are the price.
Self concept is destiny..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Bicycle cards aginst Tally-ho's (my opinion) (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL