The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Wedding Ring? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
I am 23 and not married, but I wear a ring on my left finger. It's made out of a barber half. I use it for many reasons, one it makes approaching people in the bar easier because they immediatly assume I'm not going to hit on them. I also use it for my card on cieling routine. The coolest part is I always use barber halves, so the way I start my coin routine(s) is to turn my ring into a coin, then I produce more coins, do a coin routine, and then vanish the coins. Of course all but that last one which I turn back into my ring so it all makes sense. That's just how I look at it. I read the idea of turning the last coin into a ring that you put away at the beginning from Curtis Kam and Kainoa Harbottle. I then took the idea and instead of just putting away my ring I turn it into the first coin which then brings it full circle. I love this because it gives a coin routine an ending without using one of those stupid jumbo coins.

Pete

P.S. since I'm 23 and work at a bar, I reserve the right to move the ring to whichever hand I choose...
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
Geez, Pete.

I think you might have the ideal solution for me. I start out with a ring (not THE ring, that's not a prop) on my left hand and use it for the first trick. That points out the ring. One joke about taking care of the ring to avoid hurting my wife's feelings and I've woven the whole thing together. Just so long as I'm not too heavy-handed.

The royalty check is in the mail. Nice routine, BTW. And here I've been trying to work my jumbo coin into the routine.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Glad I could help!
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Father Photius
The roman collar is the ultimate trophy, and if you were to give in it would be impossible to find in the morning.

One big contradiction with our job is that we get paid to be charming, and kinda ask for trouble.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
ElizFantastic42
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of ElizFantastic42
I am disappointed at the lack of a female perspective here. I am a 24 year old woman married 3 years and my husband is a computer nerd and has to take his ring off to prevent electrocuting himself, so we have addressed the problem this way. I told him that he didn't have to wear a ring if he got a small, inconspicuous silver tattoo of a wedding band on that finger. The pastor who married up blessed it like our original rings and from a few feet away it really looks just like a ring (to deter females) but won't hurt him and he never has to look for it where he put it down last.
"One big contradiction with our job is that we get paid to be charming, and kinda ask for trouble" I disagree with that, Mr. Angello. My husband and I have agreed that anything that you wouldn't do if they were standing right there next to you is not a great idea and could probably be called flirting. And I argue that there is quite a difference between being charming and sending a woman the message that there is something more to be had. Magicians are not strippers, or Hooters girls and the illusion (in my opinion) should not be reliant on the 'flirt' to start with.
I'm sure I look at this differently, being a woman, though.
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

ElizFantastic42:

Thanks for chiming in. The fact of the matter is I believe that I project an image of a professional, with just the goal you have in mind. It's not the blatant flirting I mind. That usually comes from someone I would keep a little extra emotional distance from anyway. Since I don't flirt with any spectators, they are not surprised that they get no response.

But I did have one sincere individual strike up a conversation with me, and after a little bit the quandary was, do I bring up my wife now, and have her possibly get defensive or embarassed? I had been married for 10 years and it didn't occur to me at the start that this could be her way of making an opening for me to ask for a date. She mentioned she did some clown work so I thought we were just talking shop. I also didn't want the client to hear about any misunderstanding and take it badly. But I've had repeat bookings and conversations with the client so I know I'm okay there.

My wife and I also have another little method that works well. I make sure she knows all about my day, who I talk to, etc. For instance, let's say I ask my teammates Kirk and Carrie, do you want to go to the deli for lunch? I would ask Kirk first, if he does, we include Carrie. If he has to back out, I make sure my wife hears about the lunch from me, and we pick a table near the front. Keeping everything transparent, and we follow your "just as if my spouse were here" rule. I don't want to mess up. Heck, I feel guilty if I put her shrinkable sweater in the dryer.

Thanks,
Dean
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Working the words "my wife" early into your routine should solve the problem in most cases. If there is small talk before or after the performance, mentioning that "my wife" doesn't usually come to my shows or some other reference to her might take care of the problem.

I always remove my wedding ring at performances if there is any danger of clinking, when I am working around the house for safety reasons, or at the gym because it is uncomfortable when lifting weights.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
I have a ring on a gold chain around my neck. I will often approach a table and remove my ring, saying my wife would kill me if I mess this up. I remove the necklace while hiding the ring, grab the ring off the table and "toss it onto the necklace", set it on the table for them to examine while I ditch, and then pick it up and put it back on my neck. When I'm done, I will sometimes reverse the procedure and pluck it off the necklace and put it back on my hand.

But I do think that it is a matter of who you are. I can flirt, or not, I am comfortable either way, but I make sure that they know I am happily married for 23 years to the best friend I have ever had. With the right crowd I will say that we have been married for this long and I can't get rid of her. "I have left her everywhere, but she knows where we live and always finds me!" The fact is though, I love my wife dearly, and it shows.

Month 2
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Wow, all this coins talking problems can be relieved by wearing a ring made of lead, spray painted gold, or dipping you rings in the rubberish material used to dip and coat tool handles in and you could continue to walk around with the full security of knowing that that "band of gold" was still ever present and love flourished. As for the drunken women? Buy or serve them another drink and they will probably go in the other room and pass out. Next trick please...
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

All good ideas.

Maybe I will start leading off with "my wife's favorite trick."
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
osmar
View Profile
New user
Burke, Virginia
32 Posts

Profile of osmar
You don't necessarily have to take the ring off to perform coin routines or vanishes...just work around it...or simply just change your vanishing technique...I have mine for 2 years now, and even though it did present some challenge at first, it's worth the effort...you won't send the wrong message and your wife will feel better inside...(trust me...they say they don't mind, but they do)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Wedding Ring? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL