The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Lassen's TRIPLE THREAT coin size??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
I'm considering buying this set, but not too sure which set size to get: Walking Liberty or Morgan??

I do mostly half dollar effects, but I also do a 3 FLY using Morgans. That's the only effect (thus far) that I do with Morgans.

Since there isn't much published in routine material on the TRIPLE THREAT, I wanted to get some feedback as to which set is more preferred considering they're just about the same cost and equally expensive... I don't want to purchase both sets. Also too, Todd has only recently started making half dollar sizes. The whole brilliant concept of Todd's is relatively new.

For people who have this set, what are your thoughts when reading through Troy Hooser's supplemental handout with this Lassen creation?? Are the effects in that handout versatile for both sizes of coins?? I can easily classic palm a half dollar, but fumbling with a Morgan... (Note that the 3 FLY effect needs no classic palming (just really finger palm & "the slide"). I can get away using Morgans for a 3 FLY effect. But I was wondering because of the TRIPLE THREAT construction, would Morgans be the way to go because Classic palming is less often needed?

Again, there isn't much material published about this awesome set, so I am reaching out to people who have the set and are using it.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
877 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Big coins always show better. So if you can handle the dollar size coins then go for it.
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
For multi-shelled gaffs, I think dollars look better because they are thicker and cover more.
Click to visit:
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I have a peace dollar set after seeing gary jone's and chris congreaves.
They are awesome, slightly smoother and nice and shiney!
Oh, and I got them from jamie, not todd!
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hello,
Yep- I agree with Dan on this one. I've got Todds Triple Threat on order. Along with a Cerberus. Can't wait. Keep in mind:

There is, plenty of material, on this gaff and routines, if you care to spend the time and effort looking for it. For instance:

-Dan's got some really great stuff in Coinvanish 1. Plus some videos on his site.
-Troy Hoosers notes and routines that come with the Triple Threat.
-Doug Brewer has a couple of routines using the gaff on Unexpected Visitor 2.
-Jamie Schoolcraft and Dean Dill have a DVD for sale on Jamies site using the 3CM. Same difference. Very cool.
-Don't forget David Neighbors. A lot of his stuff with the Cerberus can be adapted to the Triple Threat.

Therefore, there is all kinds of stuff out there available.
Once you review the items I've mentioned above, you'll come to the following conclusion:

Go with the Morgans.

Jim
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Thanks guys... What is a Cerberus if you don't me asking?? PM me if you think it is exposure.

Also, what is Jamie's DVD called and where is it exactly?? I cannot find it on his website.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Although I can't speak directly about this particular gaff, I think that in general any kind of expanded gaff looks better in larger coins, because the necessary expansion is smaller in relation to the size of the ungaffed coins. In other words, a millimeter difference in size is a lot more noticeable with a smaller coin than with a larger. Then again Todd's work with Half dollar [s is superb and not at all noticeable, and I have a "gold president dollar" [ he made that looks great too.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I had a dime set made for 3 Fly. It makes the classic palm, Ramsey subtlety a breeze!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
Cerberus, is like a triple threat with with inner sh-lls being coins from different countries. It is essentialy a morgan dollar that will tern in to 3 different coins. It is not magnetic likr TT so it is not flipped and handled the same way. It is amazing for matrix effects and such. Currently Todd only makes them in 1921 bright morgans. It is highly reccomended and a master piece of work.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I have a triple threat in morgan dollars and think they make the better gaff.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What are your performing concerns?

Folks can see coins, from dime to dollar sized, quite well even from a distance as long as they have enough contrast with the background and your hands.

What really matters is how YOU establish the coins as props and frame your actions to keep the props visible to your audience.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 23:10, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I had a dime set made for 3 Fly. It makes the classic palm, Ramsey subtlety a breeze!

at that size, might want to go from fanned display back to open palm or have each coin displayed on a fingertip.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Why would you make a set at all for 3fly??
Why would you make it in dime size??
That just sounds silly to me. I have been doing the original FTA and 3 fly since 1992....bigger coins really look better for this effect.

Morgan and Walking liberties in the gaff in discussion work fine for about any effect. Go with what your used to using and you should be able towork with it just fine.
Cerebus is three contrasting coins and TT is three of the same coins.
Mobius
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2008-01-23 18:11, jimmyj wrote:
Hello,
Yep- I agree with Dan on this one. I've got Todds Triple Threat on order. Along with a Cerberus. Can't wait. Keep in mind:

There is, plenty of material, on this gaff and routines, if you care to spend the time and effort looking for it. For instance:

-Dan's got some really great stuff in Coinvanish 1. Plus some videos on his site.
-Troy Hoosers notes and routines that come with the Triple Threat.
-Doug Brewer has a couple of routines using the gaff on Unexpected Visitor 2.
-Jamie Schoolcraft and Dean Dill have a DVD for sale on Jamies site using the 3CM. Same difference. Very cool.
-Don't forget David Neighbors. A lot of his stuff with the Cerberus can be adapted to the Triple Threat.

Therefore, there is all kinds of stuff out there available.
Once you review the items I've mentioned above, you'll come to the following conclusion:

Go with the Morgans.

Jim

I use a Morgan sized set as well and I have for years.

Just as a heads up Chris Congreave lectures on a great 3 Fly with this gaff and this is in his lecture notes. You can pick them up by visiting his web site. I also have a DVD coming out shortly (it has already been filmed) and a couple of the routines use the gimmick.

Craig P
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Lassen's TRIPLE THREAT coin size??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL